Milford Hospital, Surrey, May-June 2014

Derelict Places

Help Support Derelict Places:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

The Archivist

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Reaction score
Milford Hospital was built 1927-8 by Surrey County Council as the Surrey County Sanatorium for patients with tuberculosis. The first superintendent, Dr. Allison, oversaw pioneering treatments such as rehabilitation, occupational therapy and thoracic surgery, but even in the late 40s most patients could still expect to spend many months confined to wards. In the 1950s, however, new drugs and the introduction of universal BCG inoculations lead to a gradual decline in TB infection and by the 1970s the hospital had become a centre for treating more general complaints of the chest. Milford Chest Hospital finally closed in 1980 and the buildings were later refurbished as a geriatric hospital. In 1997, a reorganisation of hospital services saw the greater part of the hospital closed, with surviving services concentrated in the north and east of the campus. In early 2014, clearance work started to make way for a new housing development.

Unfortunately, I only gained full access to Milford Hospital when demolition had already begun. Windows gaped, doors hung open and rubble lay strewn about the site. As I darted from building to building trying not to be seen from the windows of the live hospital buildings, I soon learned two important things: First, security had obviously given up, there being nothing left worth guarding any more, and secondly, R. Collard Demolition's contractors seem to have a mysterious aversion to using on-site toilets, making this a really unpleasant explore in places. Blech.

2a.jpg

Administration building (to be retained)

4.jpg

The water tower and engineering department (2010) These were demolished shortly before my visit in May 14. Sadly it wasn't climbable without rope/potential plummeting death.

7.jpg

The nurses' home and a section of the covered walkways which linked the buildings on site (2009)

8.jpg

A typical attic bedroom in the nurses' home

14.jpg

Lonely chair

15.jpg

Unmarried staff quarters

17.jpg

One of two surviving ward pavilions in 2009

37.jpg

Corridor

31.jpg

Patient social centre

44a.jpg

The death of a ward block

16a.jpg

Central services block

20b.jpg

Computer

23b.jpg

Kitchen corridor

26b.jpg

Kitchens

45a.jpg

League of Friends Shop

45b.jpg

Walkway

45c.jpg

Allison recreation hall

46a.jpg

Staff houses

52.jpg

Out of time

Full history and further pics here

Thanks for reading,

Arch.

Great to see your updates. Had a couple of failed attempts here last year, so may have to nip down before it's all gone. Shame there's not more to see in the nurses block as that always looked most promising.

Great to see your updates. Had a couple of failed attempts here last year, so may have to nip down before it's all gone. Shame there's not more to see in the nurses block as that always looked most promising.

Ever been in a university hall of residence? It's a bit like that but pokier and with common rooms where you'd expect to find communal kitchens.

sde3.JPG

54.jpg

Last edited:
Milford Hospital was built 1927-8 by Surrey County Council as the Surrey County Sanatorium for patients with tuberculosis. The first superintendent, Dr. Allison, oversaw pioneering treatments such as rehabilitation, occupational therapy and thoracic surgery, but even in the late 40s most patients could still expect to spend many months confined to wards. In the 1950s, however, new drugs and the introduction of universal BCG inoculations lead to a gradual decline in TB infection and by the 1970s the hospital had become a centre for treating more general complaints of the chest. Milford Chest Hospital finally closed in 1980 and the buildings were later refurbished as a geriatric hospital. In 1997, a reorganisation of hospital services saw the greater part of the hospital closed, with surviving services concentrated in the north and east of the campus. In early 2014, clearance work started to make way for a new housing development.

Unfortunately, I only gained full access to Milford Hospital when demolition had already begun. Windows gaped, doors hung open and rubble lay strewn about the site. As I darted from building to building trying not to be seen from the windows of the live hospital buildings, I soon learned two important things: First, security had obviously given up, there being nothing left worth guarding any more, and secondly, R. Collard Demolition's contractors seem to have a mysterious aversion to using on-site toilets, making this a really unpleasant explore in places. Blech.

View attachment 162423
Administration building (to be retained)

View attachment 162424
The water tower and engineering department (2010) These were demolished shortly before my visit in May 14. Sadly it wasn't climbable without rope/potential plummeting death.

View attachment 162425
The nurses' home and a section of the covered walkways which linked the buildings on site (2009)

View attachment 162426
A typical attic bedroom in the nurses' home

View attachment 162427
Lonely chair

View attachment 162428
Unmarried staff quarters

View attachment 162429
One of two surviving ward pavilions in 2009

View attachment 162430
Corridor

View attachment 162431
Patient social centre

View attachment 162432
The death of a ward block

View attachment 162433
Central services block

View attachment 162434
Computer

View attachment 162435
Kitchen corridor

View attachment 162436
Kitchens

View attachment 162437
League of Friends Shop

View attachment 162438
Walkway

View attachment 162439
Allison recreation hall

View attachment 162440
Staff houses

View attachment 162441
Out of time

Full history and further pics here

Thanks for reading,
Stopped the electric clock at half past ten.
Did it fall, and if so - when?

I can’t believe I’ve seen this. I did a night shift for a nursing agency here in 1983 & have been racking my brain for months as to what it was called!! I worked at King Georges hospital in Liphook at the time if anyone has any photo’s before it became housing? Thank you

Back