Newsham Park Hospital / Liverpool Seamen's Orphanage - Sept '22

Derelict Places

Help Support Derelict Places:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nyrian

Old but not obsolete
Reaction score
HISTORY: Newsham Park Hospital is a grade II listed building in Liverpool, Merseyside. It was built by a bunch of ship owners and merchants in 1868 as an orphanage for children who lost parents at sea - the Liverpool Seamen's Orphan Institution. In WWI and WWII it took in war orphans as well. As laws about looking after orphans changed, the orphanage had to turn away lots of children and funding became scarce. The Ministry of Health took it over in 1951 and opened Newsham Park Hospital in 1954. The hospital developed its own psychiatric department and received an influx of patients with severe mental problems. The hospital stopped taking new patients in 1988 and by 1992 all remaining patients and staff were relocated. In 1992 inmates from the closed down Rainhill Lunatic Asylum were moved to Newsham Park Hospital with £1.6m spent doing it up to house them. The property was bought at auction in 1997 by a developer but their plan to create flats was rejected so the site went back up for sale in 2007.

EXPLORE: A difficult one. Whilst access to the actual building itself is really easy (you can just walk up to the front door) it's right next to the street and a busy park. There are cameras all around outside and inside. There are guard dog signs and a dog seems to have been left in the courtyard. I thought it was illegal to do that now, but someone else told me the dog actually belongs to someone who lives adjacent to the property? So I'm not totally sure about the whole security setup. A speaker started shouting at us about half way round too but we didn't realise. We thought it was just noise from the car auction next door until we got outside again and realised it was somewhere on our side? Couldn't work out what it was saying though and we never saw anyone. Many of the interior doors are locked so we only got around about a third of the place which was a huge shame. We may have missed some ways around in our haste but it's difficult to urbex normally with a dog barking, cameras everywhere, and speakers shouting. We wanted to get around as much as possible before getting thrown out.

This building has been on TV as a haunted place:

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt9659586/
But we did not see any ghosts on our way round. :rolleyes: Good drone view snapshot on the IMDB page though:

droneview.jpg

Our photos now. In the first one she's pointing at a flashing sensor, not our access point. It is not shown below. On the other side of those windows is the guard dog:

IMG_20230218_140407.jpg

IMG_20230218_141141.jpg

IMG_20230218_140907.jpg

Anyone know what this thing below is for? Looks like you put clothes on it to do something. A huge steamer for clothes you can't iron?

IMG_20230218_141215.jpg

IMG_20230218_141309.jpg

IMG_20230218_141551.jpg

This next photo has not been edited to look spookier. Just taken with my phone as always. It actually looked like that thanks to the emergency signs being left on. :ghost: :ROFLMAO:

IMG_20230218_141752.jpg

Loads of equipment everywhere. You'd think the new owners would have had a clear out and sold as much as possible? Surely these would have all be worth loads 25 years ago when the place was bought over. Or why didn't the NHS bother to sell it all instead of giving it all away when the property was auctioned off? 🤷‍♂️

IMG_20230218_142037.jpg

IMG_20221026_170514.jpg

IMG_20230218_142009.jpg

Because of all the locked doors and worried about how security was getting, we were about to turn around and leave but agreed to just check one more floor. So glad we did!! Never seen a room like this next one in any hospital explore before. Absolutely huge. Photo doesn't do it justice. That's another security camera at the far end though and both those doors were locked. So we headed back out from here:

IMG_20230218_142429.jpg

Because of all the security we didn't spend a lot of time outdoors on this one which, again, was a massive shame.

IMG_20221026_163130.jpg

IMG_20221026_163115.jpg

This next one is the courtyard with the dog roaming around it. So while we would have loved to wander round this one looking at all the features and maybe trying access on other buildings - we didn't. I feel so sorry for the dog though. Seems like such a good boy. :cry: I use to rehabilitate dogs including rottweilers so I really, really wanted to go down and check on him. But like I said, by that point the speakers were shouting frantically at us and we coudn't tell what they were saying so we left. I hope that's not his life. Just staying in that empty courtyard day after day, hearing so many people and other dogs playing in the park on the other side of the building, but seeing no-one except when some food/water is brought.

IMG_20230218_142319.jpg

Last edited:
What may have been a garment crease remover had me looking online at currently available steamers. One I found is the "Quest Upright Garment & Fabric Steamer 1800W". It "Removes Creases & Wrinkles".

What may have been a garment crease remover had me looking online at currently available steamers. One I found is the "Quest Upright Garment & Fabric Steamer 1800W". It "Removes Creases & Wrinkles".
I agree it's that type of machine. But this one looks way more complicated, and expensive. There are three little ironing-board-looking arms around the central dummy. I've tried zooming in. Even as spares/parts the equipment in here must be worth loads? Or scrap? (I'm not advocating people knicking it. They'd have a hard time getting this out a window!) Just that NHS admins seem to prefer to just walk away from stuff to have an easier job rather than making sure they don't lose even more money. But then again, why the developers who bought it have left all this equipment to rot and rust as well makes no sense to me. But I'm old and it's a wasteful world I find myself in.

steam1.jpg

steam2.jpg

I agree it's that type of machine. But this one looks way more complicated, and expensive. There are three
I agree it's that type of machine. But this one looks way more complicated, and expensive. There are three little ironing-board-looking arms around the central dummy. I've tried zooming in. Even as spares/parts the equipment in here must be worth loads? Or scrap? (I'm not advocating people knicking it. They'd have a hard time getting this out a window!) Just that NHS admins seem to prefer to just walk away from stuff to have an easier job rather than making sure they don't lose even more money. But then again, why the developers who bought it have left all this equipment to rot and rust as well makes no sense to me. But I'm old and it's a wasteful world I find myself in.

View attachment 521203

View attachment 521204

little ironing-board-looking arms around the central dummy. I've tried zooming in. Even as spares/parts the equipment in here must be worth loads? Or scrap? (I'm not advocating people knicking it. They'd have a hard time getting this out a window!) Just that NHS admins seem to prefer to just walk away from stuff to have an easier job rather than making sure they don't lose even more money. But then again, why the developers who bought it have left all this equipment to rot and rust as well makes no sense to me. But I'm old and it's a wasteful world I find myself in.

View attachment 521203

View attachment 521204
Yes, the vertical ironing board is a puzzle. It is certainly an expensive, complicated machine. As for the NHS wasting (our) money, try taking back crutches or walking frames when they are no longer needed. The usual claim about returning "unsafe" equipment gets trotted out.

View attachment 521203

View attachment 521204
I have worked in a laundry & if you put a white coat on it smooth it down put a long bar up against & press the peddle it blows up you can add extra steam & it gets all the creases out. Picture 3 in the background with a green cover on the top & purple cover on the bottom it is called a Hoffman press

Last edited:
Back