Old Victorian House, Southampton.

Derelict Places

Help Support Derelict Places:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have been looking into this style of house to try to determine the age of it and found the following:

"In 1894 the Building Act changed the regulations, so that windows no longer had to be flush with the exterior wall. This enabled windows to stand proud from the facade. The late Victorian and Edwardian period took advantage of the change in new building regulations and now presented their windows in bays. Medium and larger houses would often display double bay or bow windows."

Therefore the house is 1894 or later.

"The victorian period ended in 1901 and the Edwardian style is generally recognized to have lasted until 1920 (10 years after Edward VII's death)."

"Although the Edwardian period was much shorter than the Victorian period, the housing boom at that time meant that the architecture of that time heavily dominates our present suburbs.There was a rise in the new middle classes and a demand for airy, larger homes that were easily commutable to the towns and cities.

New suburbs sprung up on the edges of cities and towns in leafy outskirts close to the new railway lines. Mortgages were not easily accessible at the time so 90% of homes were owned by investors and rented out to tenants.

The new middle classes wanted to show off their new found wealth. External decoration was flamboyant and elaborate."

So it could be late Victorian or it could well be Edwardian as that porch is definitely flamboyant. The front door is distinctly 20's in style which suggests the building is later rather than earlier, if the door is the original.

The other things about this house that say Edwardian to me are the stucco/woodwork on the gables, the large single panes of plain glass and the fact that they put all the money into the front to look flash, particularly that porch which is a bit over the top to say the least, at the expense of the back of the house which is distinctly plain and utilitarian, there is not a bit of detail in it. The windows and sills are plain, completely different from the front of the house. Someone obviously wanted to impress from the front but either had a budget or didn't care about the back. This fits in with the house being owned by a landlord. It has sash windows which puts it no later than 1930, as casement windows started to become popular after the edwardian period.

It's quite clearly Edwardian... it's about as typically Edwardian as a house gets... :week:

That was my feeling but I wanted to back it up with evidence, rather than just say they were wrong thinking it was Victorian. This building lacks the quality and substance of similar sized Victorian buildings. If you look at the back, its almost council-house utilitarian. For me the frontage is a bit Walt Disney.

I think Victorian and Edwardian are relatively similar, as one era moves into another you still have traces of the previous. I will try to get an official date on the property.

Back