Pripyat & Chernobyl, April 2008

Derelict Places

Help Support Derelict Places:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
wow - a cracking report - glad you enjoyed it and a pleasure to meet you - and every one else of course :)

desite trials and tribulations - i am now home - who was betting i would not get out alive ?

after the fook scarry run in with the borispol security force , the police and the army - on day one just two hours after arriving - i became far more circumspect [ appologies forr those reading and thing - WHAT ? - i will explain when i recover - get my photos sorted and write up my experiences ]

i enjoyed my self imensely - would do it all again in an instant - and will have to plan a longer trip next time and be far more organised

as for the HDR - as said - they are your pics - and thats how you want to show them - but IMHO as i was often stood next to you - and know that all you scenes look like in natural light

some work - FAR FAR better than unedited images - and really pull the viewer into the gloomy mood of the place that you do not appreciate if you didnt walk along side you

but a couple really suck - and look FAKE

I am always fanscinated by this place ... loving the HDR stuff as well - it really 'suits' those photos

Nice, I knew a few people were going out here, good to see a report. Some very good pictures in there.

Wow, what a report, eh! Superb stuff...very sobering, superb stuff! Excellent photos, Vivo-UK.
I have a video of a tv documentary, showing the scientists who went in after the disaster to access and contain the damage. Totally amazing and brave men, as even in the hazard suits they weren't really expected to survive it, including the camera crew.

Hats off to you, one of the best explores ever, I would love to go one day :) (prefrably 100000 years:lol:)

It's actually more like 300000 years before levels return to normal.

To be honest it isn't as bad as you'd think. Levels are about 12x less than lethal for the most part, less than that in a lot of places. You are perfectly fine to spend all day there.

As for that film, I've seen it too. I was VERY suprised when we visited Reactor 4 though and I actually saw people still going inside! It is still about 40/50 degrees Celcius in there now and the radiation is still at stupid levels.

Absolutely great, lovely shots, good on ya. The HDR makes it look more dramatic, nout wrong with HDR if its a decent scene like that. Great Work!

I watched this last Saturday night and it was not only really interesting but comprehensive.

It's repeated early Thursday morning for any of you with Sky+

SCIENTIFIC DOCUMENTARY: Battle of Chernobyl
On: Discovery Science (524)
Date: Thursday 1st May 2008 (starting in 2 days)
Time: 03:00 to 04:40 (1 hour and 40 minutes long)

Using personal accounts, archive footage and updated scientific research to re-examine the day-by-day developments of the disaster at Chernobyl.

Fantastic photos! - Did you see the Duga-3 OTH radar station?

Yours, I'd take my had off to you if I was wearing one..

Fantastic photos! - Did you see the Duga-3 OTH radar station?

Yours, I'd take my had off to you if I was wearing one..

If that is the one called Chernobyl 2 then yes. You cannot go anywhere near it like.

As for originals, I'm really busy with design work atm but I'll post the rest of my photos up, along with originals, tomorrow.

sweet man, you need to get the rest of them pictahs uploaded :mrgreen:

as for the HDR police, the amount of time and money and effort involved and not forgetting russian fed style paperwork (oh the piles of it) I think they allow usage of it, and I like it, gives it more atomsphere and dirty industrial'ness :)

fantastic vivo, photos are awesome,

HDR is like marmite though, I think they work really well for this, and add appropiate moods.

The shot of the broken doll is absolutely fantastic,

if your ever in manchester stop by and say hello!

I watched this last Saturday night and it was not only really interesting but comprehensive.

It's repeated early Thursday morning for any of you with Sky+

Yea I watched that too, very intresting. I want to go now lol.

nice mate i like your pictures you have caught the atmos really well in your photos.

how much did it cost you to get there?

Back