RAF Coltishal, Norfolk Sept '12

Derelict Places

Help Support Derelict Places:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Very nice, surprised you were able to get so much of it. Thanks for posting.:)

The pillbox looks like it could be a Norcon. Cheap, nasty and dangerous and not that common, which makes it a good find if that's what it is. It's also not on the DOB database. Don't suppose you've got an approx grid ref have you? The other possibility is a Pickett Hamilton Fort, also rare. I've definitely seen a pic of one like this before but I can't for the life of me remember where.

thanks for ur info on that!!! No sorry i don't have a grid ref no. do u mean the OS kind?

Excellent stuff. So sad to see the site laying quiet and empty. When I was very young when on a base tour and it was amazing! So busy and loud! The grafitti you mentioned could be the stuff done around the 1st Gulf War. Impressive colour murals on the inside of the hangar doors/walls. They should be preserved as they are amazing

Very nice, surprised you were able to get so much of it. Thanks for posting.:)

The pillbox looks like it could be a Norcon. Cheap, nasty and dangerous and not that common, which makes it a good find if that's what it is. It's also not on the DOB database. Don't suppose you've got an approx grid ref have you? The other possibility is a Pickett Hamilton Fort, also rare. I've definitely seen a pic of one like this before but I can't for the life of me remember where.

Theres one at RAF uxbridge :)

thanks for ur info on that!!! No sorry i don't have a grid ref no. do u mean the OS kind?

Any grid ref will do, roughly where it is on GE.

It's none of the one's I previously mentioned. It's a 'Yarnold Sanger'. It gets it's basic idea from a Norcon but instead of one concrete pipe it's in several sections literally put together like a jigsaw. I found where I'd seen it before, RNAS Portland.:)

In the 80s there was a Yarnold Sanger at almost every entrance/exit to pretty much every MoD Navy & RAF base in the country...

RAF Coningsby in Lincs still had these had various points when I went about a year or so ago.

Superb report and pics, hope the site gets preserved as the locals want.

RAF Coningsby in Lincs still had these had various points when I went about a year or so ago.

the Yarnold Sangar was definitely post war more about PIRA nail bombs than Nazi machine gun fire I guess - I certainly wouldn't want to be in one that was being bombarded by anything more dangerous than a wet haddock gun on single shot ;)

the Yarnold Sangar was definitely post war more about PIRA nail bombs than Nazi machine gun fire I guess - I certainly wouldn't want to be in one that was being bombarded by anything more dangerous than a wet haddock gun on single shot ;)

Exactly this, they were put in place in the days of IRA car bombs in the late 70s.

An astounding report with so many of the pix telling a wonderful story, and some too, leaving one thinking too. I just love the signs . . . are some of the "latter" ones for real? Killer bees, eh?

The pipes you think are "exhausts" look to me, due to the heat marking to the inner radius, to be controllable air intakes for the safe combustion from a jet engine when it's parked up tight to the tunnel . . . a way of ensuring that all that heat is "sucked" down the shaft?

Great report. I was based at Colt back in 2000. Still my favourite base so far. Yes, they are detuners and engine test beds in the photo's. Designed to take the engines up to Max power but muffling most of the noise. You can see the rail where the bar was put across as a large chock on one photo. It looks like a standard sanger to me. Most bases have em, there's loads at Waddington where I am now. Can't believe they turned my old room into a sex offenders prison, bet they enlarged it too!

Back