Seeking Council Permission

Derelict Places

Help Support Derelict Places:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

user 3744

Reaction score
Today i accessed (without force) an abandoned group of buildings near my house (Illford Park, Newton Abbot, Devon, UK) but soon got rumbled by two burly looking, casually dressed "security" & was politely asked to leave... to which i didn't argue.

Was pretty annoying... so I was hoping to go about getting some official permission to photograph on the site.

Who should i talk to though? The current polish homes or my council? How should i approach either? Or is the likelihood that both will probably deny any permission due to "health and saftey"?

Today was the 2nd time i accessed the site - these are some of the photos from my first shoot

9-97-2.jpg

9-98-2.jpg

9-99-2.jpg

9-100-2.jpg

www.martinzaple.co.uk

I can see why you don't want to give up, it looks great. what is it, some kind of hospital ward?

I don't know who you'd have to ask, you could go comando.....obviously wear pants...I don't know what its called when you wear camuflage & pult leaves in your hat...allthough you could go comando, the security guys might leave you alone!

I know I'm getting me coat:lol:

Wow nice pics!

Could you get away with playing the "I'm a photography student" card?

the place used to be a american war hospital then was converted into a polish families camp-would not like to live there.

Been there a few times, didnt have any trouble with security, they must be new. Dont give up maRto its an amazing site, one i'm basing my final year at university on. The council wont help. Just keep at it.

Wow nice pics!

Could you get away with playing the "I'm a photography student" card?

Na i told them "But I'm only taking photos" ... but they weren't having any of it & threatened to call the police... boo.

We stupidly parked outside the place this time and didn't cover our tracks by not moving doors/boards back, behind us. I just didnt expect any resistance... :(

Next time i'll walk though the woods it backs onto - go commando as it were :p

Last edited:
Are you sure it's wise to go in commando and without permission? They might be expecting you and you'd get caught with your trousers down.

If they were reading these forums daily i doubt they'd be expecting me & i wouldn't be silly enough to post dates on here. It's very secluded and cant be accessed very easily once you're in :)

The worse they could do would ask me to leave and/or call the police and the police being police wouldn't show up for an age. I doubt they'd even charge me.

Last edited:
All I will say is there's plenty of other reports on this place around by people who don't have 'permission' and didn't get caught be security.

Youve taken some cracking pictures there i like the one with the sofa, great place too, nice one!!

I took a drive up to it this afternoon, just to see if anything had changed as the last time I went in (about 6/7 weeks ago) some idiot borded up the entrance so I couldn't get out! (Well, I could it just made it a bit hard)

That first pic of yours is quite funny as obviously no-one has been in there since me becuase thats almost exactly how I'd set it up & left it.....

PolishCampsofawheelchair.jpg

I notice today that there are new signs plastered over most entrances giving warnings.

Theres no point in asking to gain permission to take photos as they simply won't let you for insurance purposes.

Ha, thats funny, even the wheel spokes are still standing.

Yeah i discovered further that the chances of gaining permission are very very slim - a friend of mine is shooting a film there, or at least planned to until he got turned away for health and safety reasons - the MOD in fact own that place now, so ive been told.

Elf n safety

Council wont give you permission..I work for our Council and have used my connections if thats the right phrase to try to access various sites but the owners always hide behind the H&S veil....to be honest,in this day and age of blame n claim,they cant afford the risk that someone may injure themselves then try to claim compo from them...love the ward pic by the way.
regards Stu

cracking pics.

it is a truly great site, done it so many times now, i think i can walk around it with my eyes closed.

I think the security is new since there has been alot of metal theft from the place.
last time i went poeple starting nicking all the radiators and pipes.

i'm tempted to go back again to see how it changed.
its great to see how a site changes between visits.

Right, I went back today & hung around for a while to see if I could raise any interest. Gave up after a bit so drove on around to the new(er) Polish Home. I then walked into reception & chatted to one of the Security guards. I figured that as I'm an Art Student I might be able to get some special access, however he didn't have a clue who owns the land & as far as he's aware there is NO security on site 27/7! Insted, he receomended I drive back up the lane to where the residential flats/housing is, & opposite is where they are laying the foundations for the new caravan/holiday site & ask the guys in there. I did this but no-one was about so I left.

I really want to do a modeling shoot there, I have the equipment & the girls ready - just need the permission because I really don't fancy getting caught with a couple of models, all my camera gear & a portable lighting kit. lol

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back