The Coliseum Cinema (laterly Springbok) Cheltenham - February 2011

Derelict Places

Help Support Derelict Places:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi my connection to the Coliseum is via my great great uncle Henry George (Harry) Beard. I visited Cheltenham and the site for the first time last weekend, having heard the news about its demolition. It's such a shame, nay a disgrace that it is going. The building is in fabulous condition, save for the renered facade. Methinks brown envelopes have been exchanged. Glad to see it before it went, I am being kept in touch with 'progress' by some good new found friends in Cheltenham. Alas all too little too late to save the building. I'm sure the new flats and their ample parking (7 spaces for 11 dwellings) will be a fantastic asset to the area - NOT!

Welcome to the forum, and thank your for comments which I entirely agree with. Did you get to see inside?

That looks temptingly accessible ;)

agree.gif

Didn't get inside myself unfortunately but one oif the key local people has got on good terms with the demolition team so we should have some shots of the inside and be advised about any gems. I believe most of the original items may have long sionce gone but you never know. I hope people do not try to gain unauthorised access as this will close the building off to us if we aren't careful.

I love the photograph from across the rooftops. It shows the scale of the building. Thanks for sharing it.

Passed by here yesterday & the demo team aren't wasting any time. Inside is pretty bare, though the rear staircase remains as does the projection room which housed the aircon after conversion to club. Couldn't get access (should have brought my PPE), although the site boss was very helpful, & mentioned that a local historian had been down a few times & I think he has internal shots.

Managed to squeeze the camera through a gap in the fence looking through the side door but the shots came out crap, I'll post a couple anyway but sincere apologies for the quality.

Scaffolders reckon the building will be gone by a week on Saturday. I think that if somebody local had a chat with the site manager when they started, & turned up with hard hat, etc. they would have been given the OK to go in a for an hour to get internals. Cookie crumbles & all that!

IMG_0029.jpg

IMG_0056.jpg

IMG_0047.jpg

Last edited:
30th June

Demolition5.jpg

Demolition3.jpg

Demolition6.jpg

Since these photos were taken, the roof has been completely removed. I took more photos today, which I will post soon.

Last edited:
February 2011

Collofeb2011.jpg

15th July

Demofive.jpg

Demosix.jpg

Demoseven.jpg

Some interior shots of The Coliseum....reduced to a pile of rubble! Thanks to the guys on site, for allowing me to take these pictures.

Demofour.jpg

Demothree.jpg

After I had posted these photos, I went to the Coliseum site to take some more photos. Demolition has been completed, there is nothing left of the building, but the remains of a wall that was in the basement. I will post today's photos when I have edited them.

June

ColiseumJune2011.jpg

28th July

collofront.jpg

Last edited:
8th August

Collo1.jpg

Collo2.jpg

Collo3.jpg

Some images of the back of the former Coliseum site. A rare once in a generation opportunity to see the surrouding buildings!

Backofthecollo.jpg

Foundationsofthecollo.jpg

And that is the end of The Coliseum. I'm sure you are all just dying to follow the construction of this once fine building's replacement? I thought not!

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back