Whittingham mental hospital, Preston, October 11

Derelict Places

Help Support Derelict Places:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Good report, and some excellent compositions.

In many ways they cells. Some of the inmates, particularly in earlier times, would have been incarcerated for such mental illnesses as: being poor; having a baby out of wedlock; having a baby in wedlock and then being cast out by your husband; being uneducated; being unable to get a job; and perhaps the most dreadful of all mental illnesses: being a little bit eccentric without benefit of a large bank balance.

These days of course, the pendulum has swung the opposite way and some people are left out in the world to fend for themselves when they really aren't capable of even semi-independent living, and then we are outraged and shocked by their behaviour when they have a breakdown from the pressure of it all (he said, from experience).

Thanks and yeah we used to be rather barbaric and i suppose still are in some ways. I hope youve recovered from your experience:)

Definitely. It's very hard to get the exposure right without a tripod, it just get's noisy. Nothing wrong with that, it does the job. But tripod is better. :)

Yeah it does do the job but noise in a picture just spoils it. I was debating whether or not to put mine fuzzy ones in but the ballroom was so grand, i had to show, even if it meant me cringing slightly!:)

Yeah it does do the job but noise in a picture just spoils it. I was debating whether or not to put mine fuzzy ones in but the ballroom was so grand, i had to show, even if it meant me cringing slightly!:)

It's okay, it's more a case of if you've got a tripod use it. You might as well. You get used to carrying it around and not getting wedged in doorways eventually. ;)

I was there about 2 years ago, and I cant believe how badly its deteriorated in a relatively short space of time.

Some fantastic pictures in there, Great first report.

Hey not bad at all for a first report! :)

That place has seriously deteriorated looking at your photos, It was bad way back in 2007, but it looks a death trap now :eek:
I've not seen many reports come out of that place for a while.
Nice one, thanks for posting!

I was there about 2 years ago, and I cant believe how badly its deteriorated in a relatively short space of time.

Some fantastic pictures in there, Great first report.

Thanks:)Yeah its a shame to see these building in such a bad state :cry:

Hey not bad at all for a first report! :)

That place has seriously deteriorated looking at your photos, It was bad way back in 2007, but it looks a death trap now :eek:
I've not seen many reports come out of that place for a while.
Nice one, thanks for posting!

Back