Willington Cooling Towers - Possible Demolition - March 09

Derelict Places

Help Support Derelict Places:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
sorry to drag up an old thread but i have all so heard that they are planning to build a new powerstation in it place and from what i'm told the reason when they demolish old power station's and leave the cooling towers up is due to the change in the building regulation's that if left in place and should a new power station be granted building permission they can build to the height of what's left there i.e the the cooling towers being the heighest part of any powerstation so it gives them more to work with
demolishing them befor planning permission goes through means they would have tighter build regulations when it comes to the height of the new plant
i was up at staythorpe power station in july to repair a forklift that was next to one of the cooling towers they are nothing like i expected they are tiny and have a wooden frame they must be only 4 storys high and run about the legnth of about a row of 9 house's if i remember rightly they are nothing like a real cooling tower

Dragging up again. Reading the local parish magazine today there was a small section saying that n power have done a presentation and are in the throws of getting planning consent for a gas powered station on the site

Back