WW1 Pillboxes.

Derelict Places

Help Support Derelict Places:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
No not at all Jonney. It was literally in the middle of a ploughed field and didnt seem to be protecting anything at all!. But thinking about it logically the ones I have seen are in a line of sorts so it could be exactly as you say a stop line. Although the shit construction of them would not have stopped an army of jellybabies. I will get close up to them and have a a more detailled look because these new two have got some sort of Blast door on the back.

They are not all that far from these two Jonney. Would they be part of a stop line, or did a stop line not exist in WW1

As far as I know stop lines did exist in WW1 as the threat of invasion was just as great then as in WW2. Don't think they were of the same extent as the WW2 stop lines though

Apparently I read the reason for the WW1 Pillboxes is that in the early part of WW1 Gt Yarmouth which is right on the East Coast was Bombarded by the German Navy and Bombed by Zeppelin Airships at several stages and a little further up the coast as well. Consequently there was a lot of hysteria over this new type of warfare and these Pillboxes and a number of Coastal Defences were erected in a hurry.:)

Fantastic pics! New to the site, and just slowing going through as much as the older posts I can while at work without getting caught. Love that shot of the WW1 airfield relic too ... Wish I were able to see more of these things first hand.

Fantastic pics! New to the site, and just slowing going through as much as the older posts I can while at work without getting caught. Love that shot of the WW1 airfield relic too ... Wish I were able to see more of these things first hand.

Thanks for the interest mate and welcome to D.P.

Latest posts

Back