Farleigh, Wilts, Nov 2010

Derelict Places

Help Support Derelict Places:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Incognito

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Reaction score
Monkton Farleigh Down Tunnel, Wiltshire.
November 2010

Been done plenty of times, nice little explore even if it is a killer on the legs.
Little bit of history for the area, hopefully its correct.

In 1881 the hills on the North Western side of Monkton Farleigh village were quarried for Bath Stone. By the time the quarries closed in 1930 the whole of the hill was riddled with roughly 300 acres of tunnels.

During the build up to WW2 the War Department decided that there was a need for a large underground ammunitions store.
It was decided that the required space could be obtained by converting four quarries, these four formed what was collectively known as the Central Ammunitions Depot Corsham. Monkton Farleigh mine was acquired and became the biggest of the four sub components, a total of two and a half million square foot was converted.

The three other sub-depots were Tunnel Quarry at Corsham, Eastlays Quarry at Gastard and nearby Ridge Quarry.

Extensive conversion work was carried out at Monkton Farleigh, existing slope shafts were adapted and four new slope shafts were sunk. Above each of these slope shafts and loading shed building was built. Two service hatches and many air shafts were driven down in to the workings.

The site was served by an aerial rope way which transported the ammo cases from the main GWR line at Ashley. The rope ways needed to be replaced due to it's vulnerability to attacks from air. A straight tunnel was bored stretching over a mile underground between Monkton and Farleigh Down Sidings.

The depot was gradually completed and filled with ammunition district by district until it's completion in 1941, it was able to hold up to 120,000 tons of ammunition.

Huge amounts of funds were pumped in to the site after the war to maintain it's condition until 1960 when it was decided to be surplus. The site was run down over the next few years while the last of the ammunition was depleted.
Other areas of the mine are still in use for storing confidential and non confidential data.

farleigh-2.jpg

farleigh-1.jpg

farleigh-3.jpg

farleigh-4.jpg

farleigh-28.jpg

farleigh-6.jpg

farleigh-25.jpg

farleigh-23.jpg

farleigh-13.jpg

farleigh-17.jpg

farleigh-15.jpg

farleigh-19.jpg

farleigh-27.jpg

farleigh-29.jpg

LOL no riding anything on the way back, it was actually quite busy with people going up and down the tunnel lol.

WHAT !! You big Jessie !!! Newage and i spent hours flying down the rollers on our razor sharp metal sheets !!! (......and if you believe that ..........!!:mrgreen: ) Nice report. It is a good little explore but as BC says it does make your legs realise why they have muscles fitted !!

WHAT !! You big Jessie !!! Newage and i spent hours flying down the rollers on our razor sharp metal sheets !!! (......and if you believe that ..........!!:mrgreen: ) Nice report. It is a good little explore but as BC says it does make your legs realise why they have muscles fitted !!

There was nothing there to use for riding on or I may have jumped on lol, next time i'll have to take the sledge and try it out lol

I do love this place having spent 12 years of my life living in Monkton Farleigh,so always grateful to see pictures of the old place.
A bit of information on the tunnel,The design was completed by December 1938 and the 1 1/4 mile long tunnel was completed to rough stage by by May 1940 it was finally finished with conveyors running in April 1942.

It runs at a steady gradient of 1 in 8 1/4 in the main tunnelled part [hence knackered legs] and slightly less in the cut and covered section at the bottom.It was constructed by the Cementation Company,and at it's deepest point it is 180 feet below ground.It was built not only for safety and secrecy but also to speed up ammunition handling as the overhead ropeway was fairly slow.The ropeway was retained and was used in conjunction with the tunnel in1944 to facilitate the large issues of ammo required for the Normandy landings.There are at least 8 of the ropeway tower bases left in place and probably more hidden in the woods.

Last edited:
Nice to see some autumnal shots here. I loved this place when me and Fluffy went earlier in the Autumn. It was a hike, and I nearly brained myself falling over, but it was a terrific explore. Great history to it too. Thanks for sharing
GDZ

i have been using photomatix pro ver 4, tbh the program is fine but as i can't shoot in raw it can only do so much. I'll check out that software cheers

ok .... I went very very recently and about a mile into the tunnel (with my totally sh*t torch ) bottled it ... and swiftly headed back ......what did I miss ...whats at the end ????

ok .... I went very very recently and about a mile into the tunnel (with my totally sh*t torch ) bottled it ... and swiftly headed back ......what did I miss ...whats at the end ????

A breezeblock wall... as seen in pic 9 I believe.

I have fond memories of raves here. :)

A breezeblock wall... as seen in pic 9 I believe.

I have fond memories of raves here. :)

i would of fitted in well with my surgeons mask and day glow clothes then .....im just a few years to late....i thought it was ...but i just couldnt push myself that bit further.....tut tut ...

Yep pic 9 is the end, although you couldn't haven't been that far from the end after walking for a mile. It's certainly a work out on the legs lol

I'm not sure but isn't Monkton Farleigh the place the late Harry Patch (the last WW1 vet who died very recently) used to get called upon to guide surveyors round because he had such an intimate knowledge of the tunnels? Entry looks easy.... is that so?

Latest posts

Back