AA Gun Emplacements - Nationwide

Derelict Places

Help Support Derelict Places:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
UT, whats areas are closest to you from these;
Bedford, Cambridge, Chelmsford, Duxford, Feltwell, Hatfield, Honington, Mildenhall, Peterbourgh, Sandy, Banbury, Birmingham, Bletchley, Coventry, Daventry, Leighton Buzzard, Oxford.

Just that there is quite a few :mrgreen:

Hatfield, is where i live, got St.Albans, W.G.C, Cuffley, Potters Bar, Hemel Hempstead, all just up the road!!!

Derby please

Nottingham & Derby;
A - DNH1 - SK331367 - Markeaton
B - DNH2 - SK 63371 - Derby Race Course
C - DNH3 - SK414363 - Spondon
D - DNH4 - SK414324 - Elvaston
E - DNH5 - SK379323 - Boulton
F - DNH6 - SK338315 - Stenson
H - DNH7 - SK398367 - #
# - DNH8 - SK386315 - #
J - DNH9 - SK368313 - Chellaston
K - DNH10 - SK359305 - #
L - DNH11 - SK329333 - #
S - DNH14 - SK534412 - Robins Wood
T - DNH15 - SK549353 - Clifton
U - DNHI6 - SK573355 - Wilford Cemetery
V - # - SK604383 - Acibolton
# - DNH17 - SK605380 - Adbolton
W - # - SK601394 - Coiwick Wood
X - DNH19 - SK584426 - Mapperley
Y - # - SK565449 - Sunrise Hill
# - DNH20 - SK562447 - Sunrise Hill
Z - DNH21 - SK549452 - Bulwell Common
# - DNH12 - SK456435 - #
# - DNH13 - SK474343 - Long Baton
# - DNH18 - SK601298 - #
# - DNH22 - SK344385 - Duffield
# - DNH23 - SK600298 - Bunny Park
# - DNH25 - SK414447 - Smalley
# - DNH26 - SK663409 - #
# - DNH27 - SK301433 - #
# - DNH28 - SK605471 - #
# - DNH29 - SK339235 - Ticknall

Last edited:
.....are you creating a google overlay for these as you go along? As you are typing them out anyway it would seem sensible (to me anyway) to do so.

Maybe its fallen in the sea, the book does say, accurate to the nearest 100 metres, so it could be a bit out :neutral:

Lol...somewhat more than 100 metres.....a little over 100KM (and yes, in the sea)

(the quoted precision is due to the size of OSGB grid ref he has used. it describes a 100m square and is usually accurate enough for a feature unless it's well hidden)

google overlay - erm.......not especially easy as the kml file will need lat/long position format not OSGB grid refs. That said, it's not too difficult to take a file with the OSGB refs and batch convert them

Last edited:
I can get the lat/long position from the OSGB grid ref no problem, but Im guessing thats the easy bit :neutral:

That's the awkward bit really in as much as it's time consuming unless you batch convert a big file. The single file is also easy to convert to keyhole markup in one go.

If you convert each OSGB grid ref individually then the easiest way to create the keyhole markup file is to use google earth itself as your kml editor.

mate that is cool

any chance of looking swindon/ wiltshire sites up

i have found the wanbourough and blunsdon sites but think there sites in either cirencester or south cerney and also barbury castle

but any of the surrounding counties would be cool

but any thing would be a help :)

cheers tommo

Tommo, Swindon;

1 - # - SU218929 - Eastrop
2 - # - SU235882 - Shrivenham
3 - # - SU205844 - Farnbridge
4 - # - SU169798 - Burderop
5 - # - SU119838 - Whitehill
6 - # - SU083866 - Restrop
7 - # - SU117929 - Calcutt
8 - # - SU161908 - Burytown

(first coding sequence integral with cardiff & Newport).

That's just a field now, doesn't appear to be anything there anymore:cry:

Bear in mind that OSGB positions are usually a refernce to a square rather than a co-ordinate of an exact position. In this case it's a 100metre square and was probably based on a position in a military document. This leads to several possible errors - is the position actually correct? (see earlier in this thread for an example that is totally wrong..possibly in the original docs or maybe in a transcription by Colin......and if you look at the Derby area data posted by UM you can see where he has made a transcription error), the actual position being referenced is somewhere in a large square, then conversion of one system to another (often there isn't an exact mathematical conversion applicable over a whole area).

Most HAA battery sites have been destroyed but sometimes a pile of overgrown concrete rubble might still remain as a clue to the former use and looking around several hundred metres from the locations given can be rewarding occasionally.

Last edited:
Hatfield;
HM1 - # - TL214116 - Lemsford

Non of the others you mentioned are listed, but thats not to say there arnt any, it maybe listed under something else.

There are a lot further south (ie around London), further East (ie the coast) and then quite a few North and West of Luton. UT's immediate locale doesn't seem to have any others based on my notes (which aren't as exhaustive as the book)

Hi
Can you have a look for Newton Ferrers in Devon, special reason Mum met Dad there and as they have both passed on a pillgrimage maybe in order if I can locate the place.

Hi
Can you have a look for Newton Ferrers in Devon, special reason Mum met Dad there and as they have both passed on a pillgrimage maybe in order if I can locate the place.

Did they happen to give you any more clues? Colin dobinson doesn't record a site at Newton Ferrers though he does show one south of there at Netton, SX 556 464

Latest posts

Back