AA Gun Emplacements - Nationwide

Derelict Places

Help Support Derelict Places:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Argh you beat me to it, was just gonna say theres another in the same vacinity.
I had a quick look in the area an couldnt find much, but there are quite alot of trees, so nothings saying its not in there somewhere.
I thiught this looked suspect ---> http://www.flashearth.com/?lat=50.301376&lon=-4.056&z=19&r=0&src=msl
And also the caravan site further east of the position, they have a habit of purchasing ex military land.

Thanks Guys
The Netton site must be the right one as I remember dad saying that he used to walk to the AA Site to meet mum when he was on leave from the RAF (his mum lived in Newton Ferrers)
Thanks again

Tommo, Swindon;

1 - # - SU218929 - Eastrop
2 - # - SU235882 - Shrivenham
3 - # - SU205844 - Farnbridge
4 - # - SU169798 - Burderop
5 - # - SU119838 - Whitehill
6 - # - SU083866 - Restrop
7 - # - SU117929 - Calcutt
8 - # - SU161908 - Burytown

(first coding sequence integral with cardiff & Newport).

cheers fella spot on

Thanks Guys
The Netton site must be the right one as I remember dad saying that he used to walk to the AA Site to meet mum when he was on leave from the RAF (his mum lived in Newton Ferrers)
Thanks again

Aww... that's ace. hope you find the spot dexter..

ANy chance of Hull/Withernsea/Hornsea/Patrington please?

(good work fella!)

I can do the Humber area, but Ill have to scan it in, Im not typing all those out :mrgreen:

UM.....maybe I can help out with a map overlay of the data. I think if we work together we can get it done fairly quickly as mst of the sites are already in my database. I'll check when I call in at home later today.

ANy chance of Hull/Withernsea/Hornsea/Patrington please?

This should give you an idea why UM doesn't want to type them out for you:

humber.png

I found a google earth KML file for this, very handy but the majority of the sites don't exist anymore. Try googling heavy aa sites and you shoud find it

I found a google earth KML file for this, very handy but the majority of the sites don't exist anymore. Try googling heavy aa sites and you shoud find it

Excellent.
Two files found using webcrawler: "ww2sites.kmz" and "UK WWII HAA and Decoy sites.kmz"
The second (see http://www.users.zetnet.co.uk/mbriscoe/index1.htm) is actually a subset of the first.
The first seems to agree quite closely with my own database though I try to match actual locations rather than 'area' as Colin did in the book.

Last edited:
Ooh, only just seen this thread. Not sure if there are any in my area. My town's Seaton in East Devon, at the tail end of the the Axe Valley and the Taunton Stop Line. Grateful for any in the area please, Mole. :)

To save UM a lot of typing why not download the google overlay I referenced in my previous reply on this thread?

Sadly GE keeps freezing up when I use overlays...it's too much for my poor old computer. :(

Just seen this thread too

Scunthorpe please Mole. I know of 2, think there was 8?

Swanseamale;

Swansea;
Q - ## - SS712920 - Briton Ferry
R - ## - SS685928 - Port Tenant
S - ## - SS627873 - Mumbles
T - ## - SS622920 - Sketty
U - ## - SS680977 - Morriston
V - ## - SS748976 - neath
# - N1 - SS695984 - Morriston
# - N2 - SS745975 - Neath
# - N3 - SS712934 - Jersey marine
# - N4 - SS643950 - Raven Hill
# - N6 - SS625916 - Sketty
# - N7 - SS754927 - Briton Ferry
# - N8 - SS791961 - Margen Park
# - N9 - SS801918 - Bryn
# - N10 - SS779843 - Morfa Mawr
# - N25 - SS718933 - #
# - N26 - SS625916 - Sketty

Many thanks Mole. :)
Wayne

Sadly GE keeps freezing up when I use overlays...it's too much for my poor old computer. :(

There are a group around Exeter, a couple near Taunton, a couple near Yeovil. Going further afield he lists quite a few near Weymouth.

An alternative way to use the overlay file.......download it and extract the info (text editor, KML editor, gpsbabel ...ascending order of ease). The file would give you the latitude/longitude as well as the OSGB ref from the book so fairly easy to see which are local to you using paper maps or online maps. You could even create a very small 'local' overlay file from the data using a text editor (and if that still crashes your PC you have a more serious problem with it)

Lol...somewhat more than 100 metres.....a little over 100KM (and yes, in the sea)

(the quoted precision is due to the size of OSGB grid ref he has used. it describes a 100m square and is usually accurate enough for a feature unless it's well hidden)

google overlay - erm.......not especially easy as the kml file will need lat/long position format not OSGB grid refs. That said, it's not too difficult to take a file with the OSGB refs and batch convert them

all - please see my post in the reference bulletin board area:

http://www.derelictplaces.co.uk/main/showthread.php?p=117727#post117727

Just seen this thread too

Scunthorpe please Mole. I know of 2, think there was 8?

Theres 12 in total;

E - # - SE867130 - #
F - H1 - SE872168 - #
# - H2 - SE913150 - #
# - H3 - SE942132 - #
# - H4 - SE935071 - #
# - H5 - SE898078 - #
# - H6 - SE868132 - #
# - H7 - SE892208 - #
# - H8 - SE932213 - #
# - H10 - SE944100 - #
# - H11 - SE846087 - #