April 2010 - guiseley roc post - yorkshire

Derelict Places

Help Support Derelict Places:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Matty208

Reaction score
This is my first post on here, so here goes! :) Apologies in advance about the picture quality…They were taken on my phone (Forgot the camera! :( )

The Guiseley Post was built in July 1958 as part of the ROC’s re-structured role to provide the UK with Nuclear Warfare analysis as well as a meteorological fallout service. It was decommissioned in September 1991 following the fall of the Soviet Union, and shortly after this posts closure came the inevitable disbandment of the UKWMO. This post was part of a ‘cluster’ of other posts that were under the regional control of No. 20 Group ROC (YORK). Accompanying the bunker is a brick-built aircraft spotting post, still in a structurally good condition.

The external part of the post was in reasonably good repair. The shaft head around the hatch had obviously been repainted in more recent times and the slightly damaged BPI mount along with the ventilation filter shaft were still intact. The view from up there was also brilliant! Though it was obvious that we weren’t the first ones up to visit this site for a while… Yet we pressed on.
220420101432.jpg

220420101433.jpg

Alas! “Where there’s a will” and all that. :mrgreen: Down the shaft we went! Must have been a good 15-20ft from the hatch to the sump at the bottom. On reaching the bottom we found that the hand-pump that connected to the sump was missing and probably had been for some time…
220420101452.jpg

The Toilet… Haha, No nasty surprises thank God! :lol: The actual loo accompanied with a standard MOD issue Jerry Can, along with a couple of oil cans, including a pot of paint, similar to the colour of the external entrance area.
220420101439.jpg

The main operating room; we were a bit apprehensive about opening the door to be honest! I think we were expecting to see either a dead body or something equally daft, or find the shelter trashed up/burnt out. In fact, we were shocked to see that it was more-or-less in good nick! Not quite how it would have been left in ’91 I expect, but still complete with many of its original items. Bunk beds still assembled with mattresses, the main working table, stools neatly placed under the table, the makeshift splint.
220420101434.jpg

Sadly, on looking around we noticed a few of the items that were logged on a previous visit weren’t there anymore . The famous blue boxed teletalk was missing, a few documents included and the chunky storage case for the portable warning siren probably had its contents removed long ago. The actual BPI gauge was not there, though I expect this was removed on the posts shutdown in ’91?

Here are some of the existing relics around the place.
A lot of the telecom equipment still exists. This unit accommodates the “Push to Talk” Button that presumably would have been an open line to the other posts and the regional command centre in York. “YORK 30” was the label attached to this device.
220420101435.jpg

Standard ROC Housekeeping kit I presume?! ;)
220420101436.jpg

GLITTO!!!
220420101440-1.jpg

The splint.
220420101448.jpg

We found the Ground Battery Isolator/Selector still on the wall. This shelter we think had two batteries, both of which are no longer present. On the other side of the room by the bunk beds, there was an operating manual for these batteries! The wiring is still in place with the switchbox.
220420101438-1.jpg

The mini-cooker!
220420101447.jpg

“Brew anyone?” A kettle complete with Sainsbury’s own (now vintage 1991) medium roast.
220420101442.jpg

This document is a list of the other posts belonging to No. 20 Group, all arranged in their clusters. (Sorry about the quality guys! :cry: )
220420101445.jpg

This was interesting! It was dated 1982, and was a printout of an exercise (I can’t remember what the ex’s name was) but it had the whole ‘Tocsin Bang’ code terminology on it, signed by “Joe Bloggs” but of course! :lol: Again, sorry about the quality!
220420101443.jpg

Don’t know for sure what this was used for, so I’m not going to hazard a guess at it. But as you can see this bit of ceiling that’s beginning to decay is the only sign of structural dis-repair in the entire structure.
220420101449.jpg

“Fresh radioactive air, anyone?”
220420101446.jpg

For me this was just a treasure of a find. I have to apologise on this, as I went a bit overkill on my camera-phone’s flash, but to the right you can clearly see the soviet star with hammer and sickle, to the left are other black silhouettes. This mangled bit of paper is an aircraft recognition sheet provided to the ROC to spot Soviet Aircraft! It’s a shame the paper was so mangled, but the NATO reporting names like “Bear”, “Flogger” and “Bounder” are still legible naming the many different silhouettes.
220420101437.jpg

The obligatory warning sign shot before entering back up the shaft. Nothing like a bit of good old British Common Sense!
220420101441.jpg

Overall this visit was brilliant, finding a bunker in such good condition on first go, having seen some of the states of other posts on here must be a rarity! I guess it’s hard to imagine having to work in one of these knowing that you couldn’t go out without being exposed to the radioactive fallout, had a nuclear strike hit the UK. Provisions were made in these shelters for three volunteer observers to survive for around 21 days. It was said somewhere (I forget who told me) that the Soviets had not one, not two, but THREE nuclear warheads aimed for Leeds at one point. Had the cold war gone live, I doubt that even this little shelter would have survived a triple thermonuclear attack around its local area, even though the centre of Leeds is a good few miles away. A Blitz spirit was certainly required! Nevertheless, brilliant find and fantastic learning in the process!

Nice work Matty. Good to see it so intact (shame about the missing items though)
Good one! :)

Hello Matty, welcome to the forum, looks like you had a good time down there, still a suprising amount of clutter left, well done mate.

Cheers very much gents :) It was certainly worth it, though the part where a random quadbike drove past overhead was slightly un-nerving! :lol:

Cool stuff, its a shame the teletalk went from this one. The thing in the 6th pic is the WB1401 warning receiver, which would sound the attack warning, fallout warning, and the all clear. The button on it would say 'push to test', you cannot speak into it.

Cool stuff, its a shame the teletalk went from this one. The thing in the 6th pic is the WB1401 warning receiver, which would sound the attack warning, fallout warning, and the all clear. The button on it would say 'push to test', you cannot speak into it.

Cheers for the info on that Goldie! :) Yeah was a shame it wasnt there, im determined to find a post with most things still inside!

Cheers for the info on that Goldie! :) Yeah was a shame it wasnt there, im determined to find a post with most things still inside!

No probs. Im sure you will find a post that hasn't been robbed out, most of the good ones are up north and in scotland!

Scummers are what they are! Well i wont go too much into detail, but someone had obviously been there not long before we made our visit.... 5-6 months is a long time between reports, and alot can happen in that time, but judging by the fact that there's no vandalism or tagging in there *touch wood* my guess is it's been scoured by the type of explorer who likes taking souveniers. :icon_evil:mad:

Well thats all we can hope for isnt it? With a bit of luck it'll be sat in one of the ones that enthusiasts open to the public to have a gander at by prior arrangement. Still, better ways of going about it then robbing it.

Yeah, me and a few other local explorers had a visit from the old bill about it.

Well thats all we can hope for isnt it? With a bit of luck it'll be sat in one of the ones that enthusiasts open to the public to have a gander at by prior arrangement. Still, better ways of going about it then robbing it.

With a bit of luck they won't have been stupid enough to leave it there overnight!!!!!! :p

Latest posts

Back