Battersea Power Station, 2009-2010

Derelict Places

Help Support Derelict Places:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cogito

Supporting Member
Veteran Member
Reaction score
It recently dawned on me that I've only reported on approximately 3.6% of the sites that I've visited. That's pretty small whichever way you look at it. With that in mind I thought I'd look back through the archives and see if there was anything worth putting up rather than gathering digital dust on my hard drive.

There was.

Many of the aging reports on Battersea Power Station now contain broken links to missing images, or coverage of just a small part of this deceptively vast site; I figured it was about time to put together something relatively thorough of a place I enjoyed many a time in the earlier days.

Battersea Power Station actually comprises of two individual power stations, built in two stages in the form of a single building. Battersea A Power Station was built in the 1930s, with Battersea B Power Station to its east in the 1950s. The two stations were built to an identical design, providing the well known four-chimney layout. The station ceased generating electricity in 1983, but over the past 50 years it has become one of the best known landmarks in London and is Grade II* listed.

The eras in which the two stations were built are reflected magnificently in the "main attractions" of this neglected goliath, the main control room in Plant A is a gleeming original example of art-deco industry at it's finest, while the auxillary switch room in Plant B echos an era all rosy-eyed with the promise of a space age future. To see both of these in the condition they're in while other sites around the country are left to ruin is a treat indeed.

1.jpg

On my first visit to the site we declined any form of advice or help instead opting to figure out the maze for ourselves, all the while trying to observe security patterns. Needless to say we didn't see a great deal that night apart from the haunting ambience of the empty shell.

At the time a large marquee had recently been installed in the boiler house, taking away from the atmosphere somewhat. It's still there now.
DSC_5347.jpg

The Turbine Hall of Plant B proved to be exceptionally dark and I was still getting to grips with a new camera.
DSC_5339_2.jpg

The only photos I had of Turbine Hall A were on a roll of film that got leaked all over. Damn.

But we also found the White Room, a gimmicky show room from a previous prospective development plan.
DSC_5328.jpg

That first trip didn't yield a great deal, leaving me both frustrated and eager for more. Just a few short weeks later though and I was back once again to brave the sharp end of a clear winter night. The lack of cloud was a cruel mistress, teasing us with brilliant moonlight but plummeting the temperature well below zero. Still, better than having to call it off from snow which would have given our tracks away.

This time, it was Plant B that would be receiving the brunt of the attention. But not before a fleeting glimpse of the main place of worship itself.
mainhallmarquee.jpg

We made our way up to the roof at first, the whole of which had been specially turned into an ice rink for our amusement.
whatsuptent.jpg

upontheroof.jpg

She's a good size.
onthebside.jpg

Looking towards the north end of the boiler house you can still clearly see the marks of all the floors and footwells. I'd have loved to have seen this before it was gutted. Unfortunately I wouldn't have even been an itch in my fathers trousers at that point, but y'know.
3.jpg

With the bitter cold getting to us we pressed up on back inside, not that it'd be much warmer. This was it, the futuristic stainless steel of Auxillary Swith Room B.
6.jpg

Well hello.

8.jpg

7.jpg

Ok then ;)
DSC_7241.jpg

I'd finally seen it, I was a happy man.
bsidepowaaaa.jpg

With the cold really taking it out of us by this point and dawn drawing ever closer, we called it a night. I say that, but two of us quickly found ourselves on a night bus shortly followed by being 42 floors up in the City, but that's another story.

I'd started to see the sights and get more and more of a taste for what this icon could offer, but still I hadn't seen the one room that I'd longed to see above all else this industrial cathedral offered. Control Room A. With it's decadent design that bridges industry with artistry I just had to see this rare gem.

Nearly a year passed, I'd made many other plans and been many other places all the while Control Room A had slipped beyond the back of my mind. Then by pure chance I once again found myself tearing through the streets at night to the most familiar of brick faces. It was the same as ever... But different. Arriving at about 3am we expected it to be as quiet as previous visits, not so this time. The turbine halls were filled with noise and lorries, workers number in the hundreds, cars all over no-mans-land as if BPS had become a car factory overnight. This could be fun.

We Tom and Jerry'd our way from post to post, shadow to shadow, cover to cover. It felt like it took forever, but we made it safely to cover. By this point it'd become apparent we were going to be in for a rare treat, fortune favours the bold and daylight favours the photographer...

12.jpg

Good morning Battersea!
11.jpg

10.jpg

9.jpg

DSC_3137.jpg

After way too long, the Control Room revealed itself to me and by daylight to boot!

We didn't wanna hang around too long, we'd acertained that a commercial was being filmed on site and knowing the nature of such occurences, figured we could be rudely interrupted at any minute. We made our way up to the roof carefully ducking from the gaze of no-mans-land, where about 100 brand new cars were parked and 100 crew members were scurrying. This seemed all too surreal and brazen.

You can't really see it in this low res version, but there several hi-vis types in the marquee doing whatever hi-vis types do.
DSC_3164.jpg

That was it. For all the mind games, teasing, the dates, the cold nights; she even let me stay for breakfast. What. A. Beaut.
13.jpg

Thanks to everyone I visited here with, wouldn't have been the same without you.

Outstanding... well and truly outstanding! Cheers for sharing :)

Nicely done. Always love your photos!
More of you hard drive needs to be online, can't imagine what other gems are in there!
Thanks for sharing, :)

excellent report great photos too
i was spotted by a security man when i went ages ago he was sound tho
had a good chat it was only when i got back to leics i realised i needed the other side

Back