Blackstones - Stamford, Rutland (a lot of images!)

Derelict Places

Help Support Derelict Places:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Private Custard

Reaction score
Hey all, just joined this evening and though I'd show some shots of Blackstones in Stamford, an abandoned factory complex founded in the 1800's and used to manufacture aggricultural equipment and engine components.

I was there a couple of weeks back and got these shots (which I've done in HDR and a few other snazzy techniques). I went back today and it damn near broke my heart, there were two JCBs busy tearing the place apart from the rear, even the homeless guys were taking what they could and clearing out :(

And if the place wasn't perfect enough, I found this entirely random scrawl on the wall at the far end of the complex.

Sorry for the sheer number of photos, I'm just not sure how long the place will be standing. This could be among the last decent photographic records of the place. This is the horror that I was greeted with when I went back today for some more interior shots.

thehorror-001.png

It's not tonemapped HDR though, it was a really bright day so I used single RAWs to create a decent exposure front to back. They don't look that different to the ordinary photos, I just got a bit 'arty' on the day!

It is a shame what's happening to the place. But I suppose it's inevitable really, such a huge amount of land has got to be worth a fortune. Glad I got in there before the demolition started.

This factory was originally built for the Blackstone Company, who built industrial diesel engines. The last use of the site was for the Mirrlees Blackstone foundry and 'E' type engine maintenance and spares departments. The firm made large diesel engines for all types of uses - marine, railway locomotives, power plants etc. The company is now owned by and part of the MAN Diesel Group.

However before that, Mirrlees Blackstone was the final reincarnation of the amalgamation of the UK's major industrial diesel engine producers. Hawker Siddely Diesels was the original parent company, which was taken over in the late 1990s by GEC. Famous names in the group included English Electric, Ruston, Dorman, Lister etc.

shame to see it like that.:(
was it a big site we where only talking about this today

That's a cool history there, cheers :) I was told that at one point they manufactured Merlin engines there too, not sure if there's any truth in that though.

It's a pretty big site. The main brick section just behind Currys and McDonalds is a huge room, just across from that is the foundry (which I never saw inside, I couldn't find a way in whilst carrying all my camera gear.). Then further into the complex, heading down towards the Morrisons end there are some random corrugated shacks, generator rooms and yet another massive room. I even stumbled upon a nesting kestrel at one point, I didn't stay in that room for long, didn't want to scare her off permenantly, just in case she had a young 'un. If anyone visits, look out for the room with the 'Big Mouse' grafitti, she's in there, tread quietly :)

The general level of disrepair and destruction is a huge eye-candy fest, I only wish I'd had a more successful weekend this time round.

That's a cool history there, cheers :) I was told that at one point they manufactured Merlin engines there too, not sure if there's any truth in that though..

Not sure about the aero version. Have seen quotes about refurbs and assembling the marine and Meteor tank versions. Trouble is that all the quotes seem to end up at a rather dubious web site - well much of the other info there is completely incorrect. The official Min of Supply and other production departments reports, are available in the Nation Archive for all to see and show the site to be full of errors and misinformation. I will see if the aero engine production records are easily accessible for research.

I am sure that this factory would have been involved in aero engine production during WW2, even if it was just machining various parts.

I believe that there were once four engine test cells on this site. They were obviously used before manufacture of new engines was move to another factory, away from Stamford. I guess they could have been used to test any rebuilt 'E' type units, prior to shipping back to owners.

Last edited:
Looks like a fascinating slice of heavy industry, and pretty much the death knell of big British diesel engines. :( Good photos though, and some impressive decay …

Brill plcae, shame its torn down, but still, lucky tou got there before it was all gone, nice picks, loving the HDR, iv juts started using HDR too, and uploaded a few to My Site, such a gret technique...Cheers.

Latest posts

Back