Box Stone Mine - Clift Workings. Feb09

Derelict Places

Help Support Derelict Places:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

crickleymal

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Reaction score
Another in the series of "That one's been done a lot". The photos aren't as good as I'd like them to be as we were in a bit of a rush as the pub was calling us.

Stopped to admire Mr Brunel's handiwork on the way there
DSCF0012.jpg

DSCF0014.jpg

DSCF0016.jpg

Then into the mine (ok Quarry if you insist)
DSCF0018.jpg

The stone tank
DSCF0021.jpg

DSCF0023.jpg

DSCF0025.jpg

DSCF0030.jpg

DSCF0031.jpg

DSCF0033.jpg

DSCF0034.jpg

DSCF0036.jpg

DSCF0039.jpg

DSCF0041.jpg

DSCF0043.jpg

DSCF0044.jpg

DSCF0047.jpg

DSCF0048.jpg

That's great, crickleymal. So many interesting things to see there. I love the collection of tools and especially liked seeing the stone saw and the crane for winching the blocks of stone.
Smashing pics. Cheers. :)

Some good shots there man. Those southern mines are huge inside, wish we had ones like that up here where you actually stand upright!

Some good shots there man. Those southern mines are huge inside, wish we had ones like that up here where you actually stand upright!

Thanks

I was watching Cities of the Underworld on History Channel the other night. They went into some stone mines near Maastricht. Absolutely bloody enormous, they make Box look tiny. I think they said 180km of passage and really tall with it. Although I think the pictures on the walls were of a rather later date than the medieval that the program said they were.

Latest posts

Back