Bridge Farm

Derelict Places

Help Support Derelict Places:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I don't suppose I should say this but I think that the people who own these properties and let them get onto a derelict state should be taken to it put against the wall and shot. I'm a Carpenter and Joiner by trade and have retrained as a Building surveyor, it's heartbreaking seeing properties that are left to rack and ruin. With a bit of time and effort they could be brought back into use, there's enough homeless people who could be housed in them.
Sorry if I've offended anyone with blowing my top.

I hope that if you are an Owner/Occupier, your Will is written in such clear terms that your properties do not fall into the hands of the Court/Legal Profession as your surviving relatives fight over ownership. Sadly; a quick search through the records of many of the similar habitations recorded on this forum reveals horrendous legal proceedings - and with all the money tied up in the bricks and mortar there are no monies available to rectify the resultant decay that sets in during the years of protracted in-fighting.

It must also be noted that farms and farm buildings are in many cases not ideal to be used to house none agricultural workers. Many are miles from no where, have very difficult access due to the actual farm lands being sold off over the years to surrounding farming companies. As farming mechanised over the years and motor transport became ever more reliable, one did not need to live in the middle of your acreage or have your staff really close at hand to the land. Thus as farms became larger due to amalgamation,old farm dwellings out in the sticks with no utilities or piped water rightly were abandoned. My late father came from farming stock and my nephew and niece still farm the old holdings - my relations were lucky in the location of the two family farms as it meant that most of the redundant buildings could be turned into holiday lets. Not every farmer/landowner has this option.

To be pedantic and a know-all - these buildings use flint nodules in their construction and any split nodules occurred naturally. The highly skilled art of knapping - splitting the nodule and then producing squared faces on the resultant two inner faces - was rarely used in 'working' buildings during this era. This is especially true where the vast majority of the construction material was literally under the builder's feet. Knapping would certainly be found on the landowner's own properties, but buildings for his tenants would be built to much tighter financial constraints. Fortunately there are still enough old County and Parish etc records available, to allow the present day researcher into the thought processes of these mostly forgotten landowners.

Your knowledge never ceases to amaze me! I do enjoy seeing your comments on posts around here

Latest posts

Back