Derby Railway Warehouse, April 08, 1st Floor Tour

Derelict Places

Help Support Derelict Places:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
As Skaterdrew said, I gained access to the first floor of the warehouse. I almost managed it last week, I got to within a metre of the beam when I discovered I'd got my ropes wrong and I was stuck. Meaning I had to descend without a safety - which was annoying :)

So I rethought, and came with a different plan. A slight modification by Skaterdrew, with assistance from The_revolution, and we were set. TheNewMendoza and SmileySal arrived just in time to see me set off upwards.

This was the access to the first floor. Bit blurry. Very rotten.

Oh. Yeah. Baby. I'm up :)

You know that wooden structure that sticks out from the first floor? Well this is it from the inside.

Very cool floor beams. I like them, I like them lots.

I love it up here. Just look at that decaying floor, and those roof beams are calling to me :)

Skaterdrew very carefully picking his way across the floor.

Nice heavy weight door.

Another heavyweight door, this time covering a nice hole in the floor :)

Walls with no floor

Room next to the curvy corner room.

The staircase

From the landing, looking down on TheNewMendoza

Part of the water tower. I shall conquer it!

Water valve

Graffiti along the balcony

Rotten floors, roof beams, and fab windows :)

Then a quick trip down to the basement to catch up with The_Revolution, TheNewMendoza and SmileySal who had already gone down, whilst we were pratting about upstairs.

A rather nice wheelbarrow

We're going back next week, pm if you want in.

Got to hand it to you,you have got guts of steel to go up there.I have done the ground floors,staircase area and basements of that place but chickened out of venturing up there when I saw the state of the wood.:eek::eek:

Brilliant photos from a different angle on the old place,what else can I say just brilliant.:exclaim:

Top work guys:)

Those pics are all great. I thought you were nuts climbing up there, especially as when we'd both walked towards you and looked up at the ceiling with huge holes in it :eek: and you're foot nearly went through on the way up :eek::eek::eek:

After working out there was no way I was climbing up anywhere, i wandered off to get more pics of the ground floor area. Then The_Revolution showed us the way to the Underground vaulted part of the building. With me trying to work out if a climb down, or a wriggle through would be the best way to get to TnM and T_R lol. and going round again 3 times before deciding on the wriggle through approach, nearly getting stuck half way through (no I don't like with heights or tiny gaps :( ).

WOW is all I can say about the underground part. The basement was awesome. Everything about the whole place i loved, was enjoying taking pics with a camera TnM had lent me for the week. Till on the way out, when climbing up a narrow gap, smashed part of the camera, so wrecked the film as i was trying to put it back together. :( I definitely have to go back now, and get the pics i lost this time. And I know TnM wants to go back again.

Excellent pics, and thank you for a brill day.

Cheers,

:) Sal

Oh, i'm sorry to hear about the loss of the pics. I have to thank everybody who went, as it was my first explore with people i didnt know previously, and i really enjoyed it.

(Oh, part from the bit where someone, who will remain anonymous, jumped out and scared the hell out of me.)

wow, fab pics and sounds like a cracking explore
knew it was only going to be a matter of time till you got up there :mrgreen:

would love to see this place, doesnt look like it has all that much longer left till there is nothing left of it!!

nice one!!!!! :p

Posting up how you got up to the 2nd floor of a building you can walk straight into isn't a problem access wise. :)

(Oh, part from the bit where someone, who will remain anonymous, jumped out and scared the hell out of me.)

Lol.

Anyhoo, thoroughly enjoyed mooching round the basement/undercroft thingy in this place, I won't go on, everything that needs to have been said about this place already has.

DW3.jpg

DW4.jpg

DW5.jpg

DW6.jpg

DW1.jpg

DW7.jpg

Was good to meet some of the Derby guys too.

TnM :)

Great Northern Railway tore right through Derby and was extremely controversial at the time because it was a wealthy area of town. They went to amazing lengths to appease the local residents, and we have the beautiful friar gate bridge and a fantastic warehouse.

Imagine the same scenario today... modern companies would never go to such lengths, it'd be a half-arsed concrete bridge with a metal tin box if it was built today and if the council would have been forced to approve because of the economic benefits.

From the photos you've shown me its just how I imagined it would be up there, think i'd have to pass on going to the upper floor because I really don't trust the flooring, still want to see the underground as it looks far more interesting!.

Great pictures all round. TnM those basement shots are brilliant – standing in the dark as you took them I amazed how they’ve turned out. Shame about Sal's broken camera though :(

I would like to say that I valiantly stayed behind to hold the ladder for the rest of the guys; but no. Having seen the pictures I’m going to have to get myself up there now.:)

Latest posts

Back