Dried up reservoir, Arbroath, April '08

Derelict Places

Help Support Derelict Places:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

spacepunk

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Reaction score
Qusevoirapr08019Small-1.jpg

Came upon this dried out old reservoir at Muirhead, just outside Arbroath. It was great to see the 'exposed' pipes and stuff normally covered by the water.
Also I managed to get into the pumphouse and get close to all the machinery.

Qusevoirapr08013.jpg

Qusevoirapr08014Small.jpg

Qusevoirapr08016Small.jpg

Qusevoirapr08017Small.jpg

Qusevoirapr08023Small.jpg

Qusevoirapr08029Small.jpg

Qusevoirapr08030Small.jpg

Qusevoirapr08032Small.jpg

Qusevoirapr08033Small.jpg

Qusevoirapr08037Small.jpg

Qusevoirapr08024Small.jpg

Love'n'peace.
SP

Last edited:
Wow! That would make an amazing swimming pool! Just a few heaters required for the winter!

Great find, great pics! :)

Do excuse my lack of local knowledge, but I ain't got a clue. I did search the net, but not much info available. Where are the locals when you need them?

They should convert this into a skate/bmx/gokart park or something. Some of the grassy stuff was still damp and I almost went on my arse at one point.

Qusevoirapr08021Small.jpg

Very interesting report there. I'm still laughing at the footprints in the last pic - I can see you slipping over and over in my mind. :mrgreen:

Cool, you don't see a dried up reservoir very often, really like seeing all the pipes, turbines and filters in there. Excellent find.

I'd love to see the lower reservoir of the Lady Bower Dam ones, where they flooded an entire village. You used to be able to see the former church spire, but they demolished it a few years ago, as it was deemed dangerous. The remains of the village are still there under the reservoir.

Cheers,

:) Sal

Cool, you don't see a dried up reservoir very often, really like seeing all the pipes, turbines and filters in there. Excellent find.

I'd love to see the lower reservoir of the Lady Bower Dam ones, where they flooded an entire village. You used to be able to see the former church spire, but they demolished it a few years ago, as it was deemed dangerous. The remains of the village are still there under the reservoir.

Cheers,

:) Sal

Ladybower resevoir is in derbyshire and was created around WWII by flooding the villages of Ashopton and Derwent (it was Derwent's church whose tower remained). Ladybower is the third in a line of resevoirs in the Derwent Valley, the other two older ones being Howden and Derwent. The area was also home to a third lost village, Birchinlee, which was built for the resevoir construction workers and dismantled once work completed.
Smileysal.. Is it this one you're talking about?

images

In Rutland? I think?
Or another one?

bigger picture!
The photo above is of Normanton Church. It's floor was raised when the Empingham Resevoir was created by flooding the neighbouring land in the mid 70's. The resevoir is now better known as Rutland Water and its construction resulted in the loss of the village of Lower Hambledon and most of Middle Hambledon and their surrounding network of lanes. Upper Hambledon survived by being on higher ground (and is now known simply as Hambledon, having incorporated the remainder of Middle Hambledon). It is now accessible by one road onto what has become the Hambledon peninsula.

Pete

no glorey holes then?

them things freaking terrify me :eek:

Sausage Hi, yeah the slip was one of those comedy ones with arms flailing all over the place. Lucky for me that I kept my balance, would've been a sore one.

Thanks for all the comments.

How the innocents are shocked.
There were a few 'hidey' holes, if that's what Brickman meant?

other than the 'other' use of the word 'glory hole' the term is also used to describe the big plugholes in reservoirs, I believe that is what Brickman was referring to.

Latest posts

Back