Dried up reservoir, Arbroath, April '08

Derelict Places

Help Support Derelict Places:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
During the long hot summer of 1976 (showing my age now!) the Ladybower reservoir almost dried up, me and a mate from school went up there and walked down to the remains of the village. I remember the mud being thick with a hard crust that got softer as we got nearer to the village, as i recall there wasn't a lot left of the buildings, i think we expected it to be just as it was when it was flooded! the bridge that would have gone over the small river was still up and some walls were still standing, the church spire had been blown up years before to stop people swimming out to it.
As i recall it was a surreal experience and we spent a good hour exploring what was there and getting covered in mud, much to the disgust of my mates mum who had driven us up in her shiny new car!
Roj.

no glorey holes then?

them things freaking terrify me :eek:

I never knew that these things were called "Glory Holes". I found this one at Coombe Pool Nr Coventry and this one was a little bit frightening being only about 6 feet from the side, you would think that it would have a grill over the top!!! It looks quite calm in the picture but there was actually quite a ferocious torrent of water going down it after about 3 days of heavy rain.
IMG_1152.jpg

lol, glory holes!! i explored on once!!

dovstones res, near oldham!!

DSCF2012.jpg

and the underside

DSCF2016.jpg

looking up through "the hole"

DSCF2019.jpg

and the tunnel coming off it

DSCF2027.jpg

and the tunnel running to it

DSCF2028.jpg

hope this clears some myths up about glory holes :mrgreen:

B..

There's one in a mill stream in Ottery St Mary in Devon and it's called the 'tumbling weir'. :mrgreen: Love the inside explore Bungle. Spacepunk, the dried up reservoir is striking. Is that the same location as the one in anigel's thread about the unknown possible underground site in Arbroath?

Last edited:
Mancha thats a pretty cool image. There is a huge one near me and I was thinking of abseiling it when the weather is good. Anyone done this before?

Question is what would you do if you got to the middle of that reservoir in arbroath then all of a sudden you hear gushing water behind you! Could you imagine that?

great pictures everyone
nice to see one empty for a change:)
AND i also thought they would be deeper:)

There's one in a mill stream in Ottery St Mary in Devon and it's called the 'tumbling weir'. :mrgreen: Love the inside explore Bungle. Spacepunk, the dried up reservoir is striking. Is that the same location as the one in anigel's thread about the unknown possible underground site in Arbroath?

No, this ones just beside RAF Condor at Muirhead, before Arbroath.

Latest posts

Back