Duke of Wellington / Waterloo Pub. Salford 0223

Derelict Places

Help Support Derelict Places:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bignickb

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Reaction score
High-rise Tower blocks are popping up all over this district of Salford, but in the middle is a derelict old pub that has avoided the bulldozers and sits there alone and slowly crumbling away. Another piece of Manchester's history that has plans for redevelopment but as yet - it remains in its' current state.

I had a look inside some years ago but only got into one side of it, it's distinctive curved facia wasn't accessible. But today I went through hell and high waters to finally see what remained. The place is in a really dangerous state and at one point I took a step and sunk through the floor to my hips! I managed to get myself free and decided that the remaining rooms on the top floor just weren't worth it! I was there alone and no one else knew that I was there. So I left shaken but happy to have finally seen (Most of) what was left.

First opening under the name Duke of Wellington Hotel in 1815, it would go on to change it's name to the Waterloo, a three storey pub sat on a corner.

Walkers and Homefray's owned the pub until Wilson's took it over in the 1950's.

By the 1970's it had become a seedy and garish establishment, with all the local redevelopment going on around it and old streets being demolished - numbers dwindled and finally in 1984 it called Last Orders for the final time.

And it's just sat there ever since.

In 2009 there was a horrifying discovery; A man was discovered hanging inside the place after the woman that he had been seeing was found murdered! He was clearly the culprit and before he could be arrested, took his own life. Another lonely death site - just like in the Dunlop building that I had recently explored (This is becoming a habit)

The woman's father championed new legislation that would go on to save many lives, the killer had a history of violence against women and with the new law named after the victim (Clare's Law) the police was given better access to people who had a this kind of background.

On with the pics!

Looking Up in the rear section:

Outside:

Ventilation!

Top floor with the distinctive curve:

Cellar - and a bath!

Rear section:

Two levels:

Cellar entrance and Yes, that is a noose. Hopefully not The one.

Street level entrance:

First Floor:

Tucked away while the towers rise and surround it:

That's interesting to see. I do think I would not have liked the green and then the red wallpaper that is showing in some rooms.

Back