Ghost Ads

Derelict Places

Help Support Derelict Places:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Nice one, Oldscrote. :)

This one is in Sidmouth. I must have walked past it a hundred times before actually spotting it a couple of weeks ago! I can't quite make out the name, but they sold Nursery Furniture Prams Toys.

ghostads04.jpg

I guess the adage about familiarity breeding etc runs true
True! I always tend to look the other side where there's a gorgeous building, but having taken some pics of that one, I then looked over to see what else looked good rooftop-wise and saw the ghost ad. :mrgreen:
I was going to follow you again with some on the general urbex thread, but I'm still in the middle of scanning stacks of pics...the joys of film photography! :lol:

A few from Bath.The cleaning of the buildings over the years must have destroyed some but I I've spotted these over the years.

1 Nestles milk.

2 The old pet shop.

3 Garage and petrol, the site is now, inevitably offices.

4 They must have sold trusses,and everything else for the discerning student.

5 Book store and lending library with ghost window below.

6 close up of book store ad.

7 close up of ghost window.

A classic French Ghost ad, spotted through the trees at Champrepus, in Normandy. (Yes, you will be subjected to more of my holiday snaps shortly)
IMG_3263.jpg

A few more from Bath

1 Why just fruit and spuds but not the rest of the veg I don't know.

2 Hetling pump room part of the old hot bath complex.

3 Brush manufactory.Odd to think that what is now Baths premier shopping street once contained a brush factory.

4 Adverts for fags Players Please on the left Gold Flake on the right.

5 This is a close up one that is mostly indecipherable but careful looking reveals Gas Fitter Bell Hanger and Workshop.

6 An unusual one, appears to painted on glass.

7 Cuppa tea anyone.

8 Beales of Bath closed a a few years ago and the shop now sells furniture.

9 My favourite so far, now a Jamie Oliver restaurant.

10 a bit faded but research shows it to read Dills Famous Bath Palonies.

Driving my cab round Bath I keep spotting more and more of the damn things,I guess because the stone is dressed smooth ads could be painted straight onto the surface rather than needing an easily removable board.
1 St Kildas dairy.

2 Another one painted on glass.Norton St Philip is a small village about 6 miles outside Bath.

3 Ice cream anyone.

4 Can't make out the firm but they were house,sign,and decorative painters.

5 Dillon and son purveyors of prime English meat,this one is painted over an earlier ad the word daily and part of a telephone number are visible.

4499894334_ff689e5a9e.jpg

The former Messengers foundry, Loughborough.

3867288108_07dcf72586.jpg

3866504177_505617172a.jpg

Oxford Street, Leicester. If anyone knows what this garage belonged to, please let me know as I haven't been able to find out. (I presume a pub or hotel?)

Im so loving this thread and will be out at the weekend on my very own estate, where we have quite a few ghost ads....

tooting

on a tooting roof this morning about 7 ,i looked over to see this :)
P7084531.jpg

and driving up the high street i seen this one .
P7084538.jpg

missed a great full side of a house one on a side street,will get this next time i'm down there.

I originally thought that as most of the stone in Bath had been cleaned over the last 30 years there wouldn't have been many left but the city just keeps on coming up trumps as far as ghost ads are concerned,here's another selection.

1 Not very distinct, one ad painted over the top of another.

2 Marsh son and Gibbs.

3 Hay hill dairy.

4 Argyll hotel.This to is painted over an earlier not readable sign.

5 Wills and son builders.

6 mend your bicycle sir?

7 Dunlop.

8 Next to the modern sign the word Jaguar is visible.

9 This is my favourite of all the Bath ones.

10 And just to prove somebody cares here's a refurbished one on a long running business.You would not be allowed to paint all over the walls in a heritage city any more so this is a rare survivor.

Latest posts

Back