Harecastle South Tunnel, Kidsgrove - January 08

Derelict Places

Help Support Derelict Places:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ThenewMendoza

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Reaction score
A couple of hours well spent in a disused rail tunnel, Harecastle South, opened in 1848 and closed in 1965. Subsequent info I've been told about suggests a couple of guys working for the council recently had a bit of a scare regarding 'bad air' in the tunnel, fortunately for me I had no such problems. Although if I'd known beforehand I might have had second thoughts.

It's a good long 'un at 1677yds but the northern portal is flooded beyond welly breaching levels of orange water so I only ended up around three quarters of the way up from the southern portal.

Was fun nonetheless. Pics.

Southern portal..

HS8.jpg

..and the furthest I made it before turning back due to the orange water of doom, northern portal visible in the distance, the orange stick is marking the drain that runs down the centre of the tunnel.

HS7.jpg

Sooty deposits, over 150 years old...

HS6.jpg

Now this is very drain like...

HS5.jpg

One of two (or three, wasn't really taking much notice) vent shafts.

HS4.jpg

Tunnel...(it's a tunnel, of course)...

HS3.jpg

M :)

WOW, very nice set of images there tnm. The shots you have posted make the tunnel look really vast, and I love the coloured arty feel to the walls. I would love to spend a few hours exploring something like this, but I really am not too sure I could... darkness, enclosure, et al.... not so easy when one has ones own demons to deal with!! :)

Great set, thanks for posting.

Really nice pics there. Thank you. Seems like between us all, we're getting most accessible disused rail tunnels done now.

Latest posts

Back