Hello...and a request

Derelict Places

Help Support Derelict Places:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
W

whitelaw

Hello. I am, I suspect, something of a rarity. I am fascinated in the ambiance and history of derelict places. Largely, I suspect, this is because I myself am a derelict place! I am disabled, and I fear that my urb-exing is not going to come to much. :cry:

So, to the request. Those of you who have visited churches or cinemas - particularly Odeon or Gaumont, or indeed any of the (once) large chains - many had cinema organs, and I wonder how much of the pipework is walled up still in sitting on the windchests either side of the stage? In some of the photographs, it is obvious that the panels are still there. These were nothing more than a gauze painted the same colour as the walls behind which were the organ pipes.

So, I would be very interested to see photographs, of either church organs, (I used to be one!) or cinema organs. (I played for a while at the Dome Brighton.

Well, I hope to post some of my own stuff - but getting out and about is really difficult these days.

I consider myself very fortunate to have found this site, and clearly, fromt the care and attention taken with the photography, it is obvious that many here have a real sense of feeling for these old places.

Perhaps you will not think it too forward of me if I thank you. You have brought me a great deal of pleasure.:)

(And if any of you happen to be Amateur Radio enthusiasts, 73's de M0RKF)

Hello and welcome,good introduction.Im sure you'll find what your looking for here.

Welcome to the forum!
The only cinema I've done was converted to a Mecca bingo hall, so didn't really resemble a cinema.
There will be LOADS of them in here tho!
Look forward to reading your contributions.

Welcome mate, not really my cup of tea but I will keep your request in mind.

Hello whitelaw:)
I assume you have seen all the other cinema and church stuff on here,(?) but I have a vague recollection that one of the Richards (RichardH I think) , is an organ enthusiast and might well have photos of what you are looking for or might know where to access them.
You might want to PM him and find out!

Godzilla

Last edited:
I vaguely recollect a report on another site about a permission visit to a place that had an organ still in place, if I can find the info I will pass it on at least that may prove an easy visit for you :)

Many thanks for the welcome. I feel comfortable here. With luck, when the weather thaws out, (and consequently, so do I) I may have a go at a little mooching around with a camera myself.

Latest posts

Back