Hello everyone from North Essex

Derelict Places

Help Support Derelict Places:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi everyone, love this forum, could get lost in it for hours looking at all the awesome pics. Anyone interested in doing Severalls hit me up as it's going to be demolished around early october 2012 time. It's currently well hardcore to gain access.
Cheers ;-)

Welcome along you majesty.
Done Sevs this week, it is a tough nut to crack, but makes it all the more rewarding.
Look forward to seeing your reports! :)

Being a Colchester person I've been to Severalls a couple of times within the last month or so. Haven't been caught yet and is definitely worth a visit while you still can!!

Hey everyone anyone up for this please send me an inbox message ;-) Really need to hammer this home that it's only a matter of weeks before this place is lost forever. Once Phase 2 starts of the redevelopment it's game over for this place. Also Alotofbradshaw please check your inbox.

Where did you get your info on Sevs being demolished in a short while?: :question:

Ok, only I have been informed that no building work is imminent....

They're keeping the bulk of the main buildings (I have the full set of approved architects plans in my hand), so it's not going to be a quick thing. Demo started on St. Crispins nearly a decade ago,and it's still explorable... Embarrisingly I done a report called "Goodbye Severalls" in September 2007!
Still tho, better sooner rather than later! :)

.What needs to be remembered is there is no quick financial return on what’s happening at Sev’s so resources are constantly being churned into the projects that are.

Hence to date of its demise is almost a never ending story & so are the posts lol

Well if that's the case then that's obviously a good thing. The builders i spoke to were briefed that after phase one is complete then they start phase 2 straight away. They said the think phase one is on course for a late sept early oct completion. They also said Phase 2 is up on the actual site. Hopefully they are talking rubbish but they seemed pretty genuine and like they had been briefed. That's all i know but it's looming in fast that much is pretty obvious

Just so you are aware though they cancelled a 1.7m hire order of shoring equipment last month for the third time in two years?
So I wouldn’t t be overly concerned.

I don’t understand this phase two thing as that was completed in 2010 and consisted of land clearance and pipe & cable laying on the eastern approaches, I know this as worked on it.
Maybe just a case of different companies having their own phased plans?
Anyway cheers for the info :)

Could very well be that exact reason. I hope it never happens and i'm sure the road link has recently had a set back. All i can say is this when it comes to Colchester they usually take years to sort it out. The visual arts facility was ran over for 5 years. Colchester United took 30 years to relocate. Even Colchester United's former stadium took 4 years to demolish. The town is famous for dragging it's feet. Poor old Jumbo in the town still hasn't been sorted out. I know one thing is for sure though is after my first severalls visit in 99 the way it's been treated since is nothing short of disgusting. So much vandalism and Arson/Theft. Terrible shame. :(

They said the think phase one is on course for a late sept early oct completion.
not being funny, but if you haven't started A domestic extension yet, it wont be finished by September. No slight on you, just lol from the contractors! I've worked architecturally on the Severalls site development for 15 months, and can confirm that is far from the case!

not being funny, but if you haven't started A domestic extension yet, it wont be finished by September. No slight on you, just lol from the contractors! I've worked architecturally on the Severalls site development for 15 months, and can confirm that is far from the case!
That'l be the last time i listen to any builders then hahaha. Bunch of swines!!!:neutral:

I worked as an engineer on a ward refurb of Severalls many years ago (too many years ago to recall details) and am sorry to see the old place being redeveloped. Having said that the whole place was looking sad back then, very poorly maintained (although the grounds were well looked after), and as with so many sprawling NHS properties the site was a prime one for redevelopment.
Lots of other sites (eg Oldchurch, Romford where I also worked) have gone the same way and it is nice to see some of the old Victorian buildings have been preserved albeit they were also in crap order when I worked there!

Back