Hobbies and interests other than exploring

Derelict Places

Help Support Derelict Places:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HistoryBuff

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Veteran Member
Reaction score
I'm curious, and probably most of us are. Aside from your exploring activities, what other interests or hobbies do you spend time on? Pictures would be cool.

My exploring days are curtailed unless I find something easy and accessible but I do write a lot of blogs which are listed in my Siggy. I'm Church Crawler so the Church Explorer takes a lot of my time visiting them and taking photo's along with writing the blog. Apart from that I tend to do some work in the garden and make things
IMG_3854 (2).jpgIMG_3395 (2).jpg
You have to do something when you retire

Crikey where do I start!
as u prob know I do a fair bit of wildlife photography which goes along side exploring quite nicely.
As you may also of guessed I ride bikes!
Iv rode mountainbike since I was 10 (36yr) also have done fair bit of road riding (I did 328 mile in 24hr about 8yr back but would struggle to do 32 now lol) & ridiculously I started riding bmx a few years back which just hurts!
I do a bit of running just to try & keep fitness but cant do that like I used to cos of dogey back.
My son is 17 & also rides & is getting rather good now, dont u hate it when that happens & u are suddenly struggling to keep up.

I love cars & have 2 projects on the go which Ill prob never get finished.
Also have house Im doing ground up restoration which Im getting there with but have been there 6yr already lol, its a luxury of living on my own that I dont need to rush. (the girlfriend wouldnt live in my place the state its in lol)

Oh I have a couple of canoes too just cos well u know I may get bored.

Lifes too short IMO I like to cram as much in & liv life at 100mph but love it!

Anyway only pics I have at work are these few birds & one of my lad at suffolk bike park few months back
osp.jpg
WhatsApp Image 2022-05-15 at 7.53.25 PM.jpeg
FB_IMG_1661105972895.jpg

pretty cool, is that wood? is it hand cut or laser?
Dam I hate you. How do you get shots like those of the birds, I struggle with a kite using a 400mm
The brid feeder was basicly done using a circular hand saw a roughter to get the angles right and a jigsaw to cut the shapes out. This is what I am making at the moment, it's neary finished and is a Tit box. The doorways are closed off and a hole for the blue tits to enter added. I had the nesting in the last one till a dam woodpecker opened the holes out last jan and the starlings moved in. The moon gazing hare done with a scroll saw.

Attachments

• IMG_5409 (2).jpg
    IMG_5409 (2).jpg
    2.6 MB · Views: 0
Dam I hate you. How do you get shots like those of the birds, I struggle with a kite using a 400mm
The brid feeder was basicly done using a circular hand saw a roughter to get the angles right and a jigsaw to cut the shapes out. This is what I am making at the moment, it's neary finished and is a Tit box. The doorways are closed off and a hole for the blue tits to enter added. I had the nesting in the last one till a dam woodpecker opened the holes out last jan and the starlings moved in. The moon gazing hare done with a scroll saw.

thanks I really have a dated set up of canon 7D mk2 & sigma 150-600 really need to go mirroless I think.

Thats really nice woodwork there

I'm a new member and keen photographer. I've recently started steel wire photography so I'm currently looking at safe locations to take shots. The shot below is something that I took last night on a footbridge over the Grand Union Canal in Leicestershire which is 5 minutes from my house.View attachment 520022
Railway tunnels are always pretty good for this

Photography, mountain biking, travel, beer, whisky, collecting art, eating out etc.

No wonder I've never got any money left.
I know that feeling though I stopped drinking few months back thought, I was far too keen on nice ales was costing me a fortune lol

I know that feeling though I stopped drinking few months back thought, I was far too keen on nice ales was costing me a fortune lol
I stopped drinking years ago, never liked the feeling of a hangover and my wife did not like me snoring, mind you it did not help my sleep apnoea ;)

I'm a new member and keen photographer. I've recently started steel wire photography so I'm currently looking at safe locations to take shots. The shot below is something that I took last night on a footbridge over the Grand Union Canal in Leicestershire which is 5 minutes from my house.View attachment 520022
Please excuse my ignorance, but what is "steel wire photography", and how did you get the effect seen in the photo?

Please excuse my ignorance, but what is "steel wire photography", and how did you get the effect seen in the photo?
You need fine steel wool, a hand whisk (the wire type), a lighter and something to attach to the whisk like a dog lead, metal chain or similar. You will also need a camera, SLR or mirrorless. Simply attach the whisk to (in my case) a dog lead, place some of the wool between the wires of the whisk. Set up your camera (use a tripod) ensuring there is adequate distance between the camera equipment and where you will be spinning the wire wool (to prevent damage). It helps if you are on your own to set the camera to timer. Settings are ISO100, F5.6 and an exposure time of 6 or more seconds. You then take a picture, while it's in timer mode get into position light the steel wool and start spinning it. The whisk then throws out burning pieces of wire wool and this is then captured as trails because of the long exposure time. CAUTION: WIRE WOOL BECOMES HOT, THE WHISK BECOMES HOT, CAUTION MUST BE GIVEN TO WHAT YOU WEAR (WEAR GOGGLES AND NON FLAMABLE CLOTHES), CAUTION MUST BE GIVEN TO YOUR LOCATION (NOT INDOORS AND AWAY FROM COMBUSTABLE MATERIALS), CAUTION MUST ME GIVEN TO OTHERS.

Lastly here's one I took last night

1670079106096.jpeg

Last edited:
You need fine steel wool, a hand whisk (the wire type), a lighter and something to attach to the whisk like a dog lead, metal chain or similar. You will also need a camera, SLR or mirrorless. Simply attach the whisk to (in my case) a dog lead, place some of the wool between the wires of the whisk. Set up your camera (use a tripod) ensuring there is adequate distance between the camera equipment and where you will be spinning the wire wool (to prevent damage). It helps if you are on your own to set the camera to timer. Settings are ISO100, F5.6 and an exposure time of 6 or more seconds. You then take a picture, while it's in timer mode get into position light the steel wool and start spinning it. The whisk then throws out burning pieces of wire wool and this is then captured as trails because of the long exposure time. CAUTION: WIRE WOOL BECOMES HOT, THE WHISK BECOMES HOT, CAUTION MUST BE GIVEN TO WHAT YOU WEAR (WEAR GOGGLES AND NON FLAMABLE CLOTHES), CAUTION MUST BE GIVEN TO YOUR LOCATION (NOT INDOORS AND AWAY FROM COMBUSTABLE MATERIALS), CAUTION MUST ME GIVEN TO OTHERS.

Lastly here's one I took last night

View attachment 520023
Many thanks for the explanation. Really ingenious, and I like the results. I've aways looked for patterns that are already present to photograph. The little piles of sand brought to the surface on Australian beaches where sand crabs live are one example;
the scum on the surface of settling tanks at the long gone Christchurch NZ gasworks another.

I became very aware of how wire wool can be ignited a few years ago when, by chance a whole bundle glowed red hot when it somehow completed a circuit that included a 12 volt motor bolted to a Dexion frame bench. The power supply was a battery charger, with the positive crocodile clip connected to the lead to the motor and the negative crocodile clip connected to the steel bench, and thus to the motor.

One day I accidentally connected the clips the wrong way round and there was a bundle of wire wool on the floor that had one side resting against a steel leg of the bench and, by chance, the other side of the bundle against a copper water pipe.

I can only think that the water pipe somehow completed the circuit back to the negative side of the house's consumer unit, for soon after the motor was turning (its direction did not matter) I found the bundle of wire wool glowing red hot. I pulled it away and doused it. Then I found I had clipped the positive crocodile to the Dexion bench, and the negative to the lead to the motor.

From this I realised that a deliberate way of starting a fire is to use a battery with plenty of amperage with wires joined to some wire wool. For instance, if out camping
and without matches or a lighter for a camp fire. Not the best way to learn that.

Back