Lost buildings of the A1 widening scheme - March/April 09

Derelict Places

Help Support Derelict Places:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Excellent man, well done for recording these! The hooks in the ceiling are ace, gives me a idea for my living room. And I agree with Seahorse, I think the wee GPO building is great, there just aint stuff like that nowadays and I find anything to do with telecommunications from the old days is fascinating stuff:)

Cheers for the comments guys, what would the GPO building have been BL? Was it an automatic exchange or would people of worked there?

Cheers for the comments guys, what would the GPO building have been BL? Was it an automatic exchange or would people of worked there?

Well I really dont know much about telephone stuff, but the GPO did have automatic repeater stations at regular intervals to compensate for signal losses. Dont know if thats what this is though.

i think the hooks would have been used for hanging game bird and rabbits etc cos that little room looks like a pantry/larder of years gone by

You will notice the hooks are mostly in pairs. Their original use was probably to hang a pig carcass on during salt curing - one hook per back leg means that the carcass interior was very accessible. Obviously one could and would hang any carcass or game on them, should the need arise. If the floor was tiled or concrete, the room may even have been used to finish dressing out slaughtered carcasses.

You'll have to be quick The first farmhouse is all but gone, and they've started demolishing the out buildings of the hook house, oh and if you were bothered the GPO building has been sealed to protect all the valuable............air? inside:confused::lol:

@ Dirus_Strictus the floor was tiled so you could be right;)

Just for interest - On the A639 Leeds/Oulton/Methley/Castleford road, a similar small GPO building in Methley has recently been sold - according to the Estate Agents sign nailed to the wall. It's in a nice position and firmly locked, but does not appear to have any land with it.

If in not mistaken, just before you get to the train station there is an abandoned restraunt and petrol station?

Definitely worth posting up, Mex. Interesting site with lots of things to see...the GPO building is brill! :mrgreen:
Look forward to seeing anything else before it all goes. :)

Great report went past here yesterday and was tempted to have a look so i thought on the way back i will have a look sadly my car engine blew up before i got there damn and blast thanks for sharing with us the house you looked at with the hooks is Roxby house i went there last year i think it was for a look i felt the same way as you did any how heres the report i did.
http://www.northeasturbex.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=43

Went past these only the other day on the way to and from Newcastle and was really intrigued about what they were like inside. There's only one loco left of that graveyard now I think, a 47? Really quite impressive on the side of the road!

Great report went past here yesterday and was tempted to have a look so i thought on the way back i will have a look sadly my car engine blew up before i got there damn and blast thanks for sharing with us the house you looked at with the hooks is Roxby house i went there last year i think it was for a look i felt the same way as you did any how heres the report i did.
http://www.northeasturbex.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=43

We're buggered unless we register. And I'm buggered if I'm going to register on another flippin forum. :D

We're buggered unless we register. And I'm buggered if I'm going to register on another flippin forum. :D

Sorry about that i didnt realise you couldnt see it my mistake i dont blame you still i know now for the future.

If in not mistaken, just before you get to the train station there is an abandoned restraunt and petrol station?

Yeah that's right, I didn't bother with the more modern stuff, you see one petrol station you've seen them all;) And thanks for all the replies, I wasn't expecting such a positive response TBH :mrgreen:

I'd venture a guess that the Farmhouse is of Georgian construction...

all in all they were all pretty intersting, the hooks in the ceiling would freak me out aswell! Good pictures :)

My God. I drove past today and its soo confusing. The North Bound slip road towards ripon has all changed and theres new roads cutting through all the fields.

Superb!

Shame it's all going. :(

That hook room is rather yucky, as I'm a veggie. :)

Where was the decades old meat hanging, and have you got a pic of it?

Latest posts

Back