Markeaton and Chaddesden Culverts - May 09

Derelict Places

Help Support Derelict Places:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

james.s

Reaction score
Thanks very much to Ashless for this one. He is a great guide and all-round good guy. We also visited with LIO112 and Keep Out!
It is my first draining experience and first proper experience of Lightpainting in the pitch black, so some of my shots were a bit fuzzy - you don't need to see them :lol:
Anyway, Markeaton culvert carries Markeaton brook for 2.2km under derby, while Chaddesden culvert is shorter, at around 3-400m. Here are my pictures:

MARKEATON CULVERT

"we are doing a survey, so we are supposed to be here" - KO enters the premises
img0818.jpg

img0843.jpg

Chain for WW2 fire hoses
img0836.jpg

Westfield's leaky main sewer :sick:
img0850.jpg

Local Wildlife: LIO112 and Keep Out! with Duckling
img0874.jpg

Local Wildlife 2: The Lesser-Spotted Needle Worm
img0883.jpg

Ashless with Lighthouse torch in Brick section
img0887.jpg

CHADDESDEN CULVERT

Vanishing Point
img0894.jpg

My Decent Light Painting Effort
chaddesdonculverthdr.jpg

New Object - Tin Bath
img0906.jpg

CD Player
img0909.jpg

Thanks Ashless!
And thanks everyone else for looking :)

Last edited:
LOL, me and Lucy love the way you blurred the ducklings face out. hahahahahahahaha

"We were doing a survey, we are meant to be here". lol cover story sorted at 10am this morning.

Video added to the older thread by Ashless if you care to view.

Great pics with a great sense of humour. lol lol lol lol lol

Excellent work J, good to see the Derby culverts again :)

I take it the light painting effort in Chad was the result of Ashless's ghostbuster? If so I wouldn't class it as light painting, more illumination apocalypse :lol:

It was partly to do with the ghostbuster, a 30 second exposure and that was a 2 second crucible of pure light from ashless' raging sun. A bit of that was my puny 2 million candle power jobby though. Apparently the tin bath is new.

It was partly to do with the ghostbuster, a 30 second exposure and that was a 2 second crucible of pure light from ashless' raging sun. A bit of that was my puny 2 million candle power jobby though. Apparently the tin bath is new.

Yeah I do remember the Video recorder from when I visited with Kaputnik and Ashless at the last Derby meet. I think I've got one of those 2 million candle power torches come to think of it, they aint bad but I prefer my tesco LED job.

eeerm, thanks but the shoulder cam really needs loads of light to be effective. The vid is so heavily edited just to show the bits the torches picked out.

James, did you get a shot of the water droplets on the ceilings as the temperature changed in the culvert? If so please put them up, would love to see how they came out, they looked like jewels in the ceilings.

Lucy wants spider shots too please.

I may have to get a tesco torch, KO has one, they are good, but I may get a D cell maglite like Ashless had.
The video recorder was in fact a CD player, I inspected it thoroughly, it was an old one too :)

Excellent Shots James, well done. Yuk those needles are gross I have to deal with them now and again in my job. Excellent report mate.:)

Thanks everyone for the comments so far. That was the only needle that I actually saw, but I am sure there were more. There was plenty of other stuff that had been washed down, including an empty laptop bag (with tub of salad)

Probably full of government secrets, knowing today's latest craze ;)
It had been there for some time judging by the amount of clay in the bag, unless that was in the bag when it was dropped :lol:

Well done on your first culvert James, and the pics are good! Bet you wont be able to keep away from the underground now! The duckling was particularly cool :)

I want to find a decent mine now. I've been down one already but didn't take any photos :(

Stacks of mines in your area mate, also that area has great opportunities for SRT. If you are really keen there is bound to be a caving club near you. Its a good way to get to know experienced underground guys and there are quite a few mine explorers down that way too.

LOL, me and Lucy love the way you blurred the ducklings face out. hahahahahahahaha

"We were doing a survey, we are meant to be here". lol cover story sorted at 10am this morning.

Video added to the older thread by Ashless if you care to view.

Great pics with a great sense of humour. lol lol lol lol lol

Great explore and sources tell me you like the word lol! :)

Latest posts

Back