Meeting the Squatters - Gala Bingo Hall - Cambridge July 09

Derelict Places

Help Support Derelict Places:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

UrbanX

Moderate Moderator
Reaction score
First of all:
PLEASE DO NOT TURN THIS INTO A THREAD ARGUING ABOUT YOUR OPINION ON SQUATTERS!!!

So, last week I read a story in the local paper about a group of “Squatters, Anarchists, and Social Misfits” that had moved into a bingo hall in the centre of Cambridge. (Original article here: http://www.cambridge-news.co.uk/cn_news_cambridge/displayarticle.asp?id=433684)

I knew the building well.
It started life as an art-deco cinema, built in the late 1920’s playing all the latest moving pictures as well as playing recent sporting events (apparently Setanta didn’t exist then). In the late 70’s cinema’s changed, and moved into more modern, larger buildings. Incidentally the ‘newer’ cinema building a few hundred yards away has now been converted into the biggest pub in Europe.

It was converted into a bingo hall, where it remained in use right up until May this year.

Apologies for the heavy use of watermarks, the local media is desperate for some free pics inside to accompany their story! :rolleyes:

I was desperate to see inside, and I knew the only way was to befriend the squatters and hope they’d let me in to take some pics. With a deep breath I rang the doorbell.

Once inside the doors were firmly locked behind me. Following a heavy-handed attempt from the Police earlier that day to evict them, I understood why.
IMG_4712.jpg

Their anti capitalist banners:
IMG_4709Desat.jpg

The main hall:
IMG_4716copy.jpg

“Scott” who you will recognise from the article emerged from a small hatch to greet me
IMG_4717Pixel.jpg

Further up, into the original upper tiers:
IMG_4685.jpg

IMG_4686.jpg

My guides ask if I want to see the roof.
“Is Mc Donald’s a bad thing?” I reply, in an attempt to be witty.

IMG_4689.jpg

IMG_4681.jpg

Up on the roof a couple of the group sit casually reading and chatting, their feet dangling unconcerned at the six storey drop below.
IMG_4669Pixel.jpg

Interesting sounding book:
IMG_4678-Desat-Pixel.jpg

I lean over the edge cautiously to see a bus careering down Hobson Street.
I only noticed afterwards the leg in the top right of the frame.
IMG_4676.jpg

Straight down:
IMG_4671.jpg

Christs College
panorama3.jpg

Cambridge Roofscape:
panorama1.jpg

Back inside I catch a sneaky self-portrait:
IMG_4696.jpg

Couple of details:
IMG_4705.jpg

IMG_4710.jpg

Ironic:
IMG_4699.jpg

After I while I thank my hosts for letting me photograph their home, and with the promise that I’ll bring them a CD of images the next day, I make my excuses and exit.
IMG_4694.jpg

Unfortunately, hours after my visit the Police successfully evicted the group on the grounds that the building wouldn’t be safe in the event of a fire (all of the exits were padlocked). Article here:
http://www.cambridge-news.co.uk/cn_news_home/displayarticle.asp?id=434402

I hope you enjoyed my encounter with this friendly group as much as I did. :)

Great pics, cheers for sharing. Good initiative to head down there when you read the story too. Might try that one myself in future!

Looks like they've been respectful towards the place, fair play to them. Shame the police got them on the fire escapes...
Great pics and initiative!:)

Yeah, they were really doing it up.
It's quite funny that in the interview there's someone hoovering in the background!

Ye Gods, that carpet in the main bit is a bit busy! Well done for having the balls to ask them to have a look round, given what they had been through you could imagine some hostility, shame they have been booted out, but what a great place!

Fair play I was expecting to the see the place trashed and graffiti everywhere, at least they seem to be showing some respect to the place.
I have heard of living on the edge, but they are taking it a bit litterally, that drops not funny.
Well done for having the bottle to talk your way in.

nice pics there. i played bingo in that place about 15 years ago :skull: and the carpet was pretty much the same. the only thing different is the walls used to be olive green and brown stained with tobacco.

i like the pic of all the rooftops. and i just read it's going to be flats! no doubt hugely expensive :( but with no chance of any decent sleep on the weekend. ;)

sam

good stuff!!! they fairly pleasant people?? think they'd let some one squatt over for the night?

Yeah they were really friendly, they'd let you stay. They wanted people to come in and 'hire' the space for free as a community centre. Same group had a similar sit in in a proposed tescos in Cambridge. They mentioned the Walls of the lobby were 'gala bingo blue'.

Like Sam, I've had a few games of bingo in there as well. My mates wife was the mangeress there for many years right up to the end.

Love your pics but the water mark is a bit intrusive!

The watermark with the book is fine

Brave asking squatters for access was your equipment expensive?

Back