Mustard Gas Foward fillng depot. Norfolk. Feb 12 V. Pic heavy.

Derelict Places

Help Support Derelict Places:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Black Shuck

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Reaction score
The chemical name for mustard gas is dichlorodiethyl sulphide. At normal temperature it is a liquid, rather like diesel oil in appearance with a smell similar to garlic. It was used as a war gas because it is a 'vesicant' which means that contact with the liquid or vapor will cause blisters on the skin similar to third degree burns and if inhaled will cause serious damage to the lungs which will almost inevitable cause death. Its value in conflict was due to the fact that it does not decompose and will remain active in the ground or on materials it has contaminated for many days, in fact months or even years. This makes it completely different from the effects of chlorine or phosgene which, as gasses, are readily dissipated in the atmosphere.

It is comparatively easy to manufacture given a supply of raw materials which are mostly readily available chemicals and there are really only two effective ways of decontaminating; one is by the application of bleaching powder and the other by burning.

There are two types of mustard gas, Runcol (HT) which is produced by the method used by the Germans in WW1 by reacting thiodiglycol (known as 'Syrup' during the war) with hydrochloric acid and Pyro (HS) which is produced by combining ethylene with sulphur dichloride. Runcol was more expensive to manufacture and was not suitable for tropical storage.

Chemical warfare was developed in Germany in 1915 but the allies were quick to respond with their own production and in the later years of WW1 mustard was used by both sides. Although chemical weapons were banned by the Geneva Protocols of the 1920's this did not stop their use by the Japanese in 1931 and the Italians in 1935 and even Churchill supported their deployment. With the coming of WW2 it was decided that the manufacture of chemical weapons should once again be undertaken to act as a deterrent as Germany would almost certainly be producing them. The whole site was connected by a special rail spur to a long abandoned country branch distribution to the Norfolk Airfields.

DSCF1215.jpg

This what remains of the long defunct Boiler House.

DSCF1217.jpg

DSCF1220.jpg

a lovely rusticated valve in the boiler house.

DSCF1225.jpg

this is the inside of a " Charging Room" where mustard gas bombs were fitted with an explosive charge. The metal beams once had jibs to lift the bombs from the room to the storage area.

DSCF1228.jpg

resplendent on a cold winters morning.. light filters through the open charge room door

DSCF1236.jpg

exterior of charging room,.. there was no way I was going up that ladder!! very wobbly!!..

DSCF1241.jpg

This is one of the two gas decontamination rooms on the site which doubled up as a mess room. Typical RAF decoration.

DSCF1253.jpg

Huge storage sheds here were used to store empty mustard gas shells before being filled with the gas. Resivoir for outbreak of fire!! Fancy a dip!!..??

DSCF1251.jpg

DSCF1273.jpg

Huge rusted air vent on side of Charge room.

DSCF1267.jpg

Loading depot which was connected to the now defunct railway line.

DSCF1284.jpg

looking across the whole site in sepia.

DSCF1289.jpg

DSCF1301.jpg

Trackebed of railway branch connecting to the FFD.

DSCF1315.jpg

DSCF1310.jpg

DSCF1298.jpg

DSCF1314.jpg

connecting spur from the main line to FFD

DSCF1324.jpg

Remaining sleeper bolts on the trackbed.

DSCF1327.jpg

Mixing tank for effluent from FFD.

DSCF1332.jpg

dilapidated guard house.

Nice one again mate there is the remains of a mustard gas store up on the moors not too far from me but all thats left of it is the bases of the sheds

Last edited:
That water pool for fires, I personally would not be hanging around to put a fire out at a mustard gas factory lol, I would be making my cowardly excuses and fleeing:D

It was quite nice at RAF Morpeth (again) today for a change, looks like it was worth braving the cold mate

Certainly worth it. When you get a day like we did today in February.. you just have to make the best of it and get out there with the Fuji.!!

What a crackin' site with a good bit bit of information too. Thank you so much for going out to this one... not such a bad place to visit now but I bet it wasn't a stress-free experience working there at the time!!

What a crackin' site with a good bit bit of information too. Thank you so much for going out to this one... not such a bad place to visit now but I bet it wasn't a stress-free experience working there at the time!!

Thanks so much CD.... This was a top secret site back in the 40's. We'd have been shot on sight!!!

Latest posts

Back