N.G.T.E Pyestock

Derelict Places

Help Support Derelict Places:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks for the map simon, I know that it will come in handy:). the time for a peek is nigh me thinks:D

krela;12139; said:
You know the rules, no talking about access on the open forums, keep it to private messages please.

Sorry Krela, I have edited it accordingly

I was taking a longer look at the map and out of interest do you happen to know what the difference is between the blue and pink shading?

King Al;12158; said:
I was taking a longer look at the map and out of interest do you happen to know what the difference is between the blue and pink shading?

The blue areas are going to be redeveloped.

I took the map from here:
http://www.hartlandpark.co.uk

Download the Exhibition.PDF file and all will be revealed. Although the entire site is very interesting and worth a browse.

All the best,
Simon

Reaperman;12174; said:
So they are keeping the air house? seems a little unusual.

Ahh... sorry... the blue and purple bits are going to be redeveloped. Only the three orange crosshatched buildings are going to be retained.

All the best,
Simon

Thanks to Simon and his vast knowledge of the place i have now made 6 visits to this amazing site. Every time i come away we have seen something new and i am still trying to take in the scale and variety of the place. You know it has been a good trip when you are so worn out at the end of it from climbing and scrambling around that you don't even feel like walking to the car.

1-8.jpg

2-7.jpg

6-7.jpg

11-4.jpg

14-2.jpg

13-2.jpg

16-2.jpg

18-2.jpg

21-1.jpg

22-1.jpg

26-1.jpg

1-9.jpg

2-8.jpg

3-9.jpg

4-9.jpg

5-9.jpg

6-8.jpg

7-7.jpg

8-6.jpg

10a-2.jpg

12-5.jpg

13-3.jpg

5-10.jpg

1-10.jpg

2-9.jpg

Superb pics, Mr B. That self-portrait is amazing and those tunnel-thingies are too. Do you know what they were used for?
Thanks for sharing those.
Foxy :)

Those tunnel thingies are parts of the test cells for the engines. The self portrait is the inside of the chamber in his 14th picture down. The scale of the thing is amazing. You should go take a look, well worth it.

Great shots Mr Bones..I thought I had seen most of this place but you got shots from places my bod wouldnt let me go/climb.This site is pure genius and has to be thee best place I have ever been to...and I have travelled far n wide....all I can say is...see this while you can

For those that are interested, how not to test a jet engine.....

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T4bn1WG5LS0"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T4bn1WG5LS0[/ame]

Here's a brief description and location of the cells. The problem is that people refer to the "Sahara" cell - but two cells were adapted for the filming of Sahara so it adds to the confusion.

Cells 1 & 2: These are located in the centre of the site with the huge "Exhaust Silencer" concrete tower behind them. I've seen lots of pictures of the control room for these cells (with "Pyestock" punched out of the control panel and the "Star Trek" console); but hardly any of the interiors of the test cells themselves nor inside the Exhaust Silencer (which is like a huge concrete bunker).

Cell 3: This is the small cell with the "Sahara Doors" The adventerous will discover that there are walkways and tunnels deeper than the cell, and they eventually lead to flooded areas to the west. Cell 3 is actually much larger than just the "Sahara Doors" and continues west, under the Air House pipe array, and onwards to Cell 3 West.

Cell 3 West: This is the huge circular cell with the large white plastic opening that everyone likes to take pictures of themselves standing in. It's normally the first thing people find when getting into Pyestock.

CEGB Transformer Park: The large, humming transformer park to the south of Cell 3 West.

Cell 4: This is also known as "Sahara" and is the huge test cell to the south of the Sigma building. If you climb deep into its bowels (there are large tunnels with steps), you find lots of "Emergency Alarm" switches which probably correspond with the light panel in the control room.

Air House: I think everyone knows this one.

Plant House: This is the large brick building to the east of the Air House. It houses the three huge halls with the Metrovick equipment, control room to the west and offices to the east. To the sides of the halls are lots of individual test cells including the largest which is called Cathedral.

Battle House: The large building on the northern edge of Fairbanks Transformer Park. It looks absolutely stuffed full of heavy plant equipment because... well it is. Battle is to the east of Cells 1&2

Fairbanks Transformer Park: Now just a huge expanse of gravel, it forms the centre square of three important buildings:

Power Station: On the south edge of Fairbanks. Small turbine hall, fantastic control room, offices, battery room and more.

Admirality Test Cell: The large building on the east edge of Fairbanks. I've not been in here yet.

Hope that helps!

All the best,
Simon

Any red dwarf fans?

I was watching series 8 Last night and noticed that the episode : Cassandra briefly features some bits form cell 4 where concorde engines were tested.

Series 8 was shot in 1998 i think so that would mean that cell 4 was at least out of use by then. which was odd as I had the impression it was used more recently than that.

As a random red dwarf factiod some of the other series used bankside power station as a set which looks like it would have been great before it was converted.

Reaperman;13702; said:
As a random red dwarf factiod some of the other series used bankside power station as a set which looks like it would have been great before it was converted.

I remember a prog about the beginnings of conversion of Bankside to Tate Modern - i vaguely recall it being rather spectacular (in scale and proportion) and i think there were images of the turbines, gantries and walkways getting cut up. Very sad. At least the structure has found a use, which is quite something given its valuable site. I will take a look at Red Dwarf again soon, i need an excuse!

Pyestock revisited 10-06-07

Made a return trip to my alltime fave haunt to spend quality time looking at stuff i missed 2 months back...had lovely hot day running in the 7 foot pipework running from the back of cell 4 up a ladder and along to a dead end...the sound in here was great...echoes flew right over your head...
have a look at these...

inside cell1-2

Looking into cell 4 from where we entered the 7 foot pipe duct..

Inside the Pipe

Filmakers doing Sahara cut into the pipe for some shots..its about 1inch and a half thick!

View from the Air house roof

Big mutha of a pipe

One for the guage collectors

Huge ballvalve

for the rest
http://news.webshots.com/album/559395564VmePdZ

Back