NCB Stoke Orchard Revisited - January 2009

Derelict Places

Help Support Derelict Places:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

clebby

Reaction score
As it was only a short cycle ride away, and I had had a lazy weekend doing nothing but watching Friends and eating chocolate fingers, me and da-mop decided we would once again visit this still little-documented site - the NCB Coal Research Establishment at Stoke Orchard.

As I have already given the history in my earliest report from November (http://www.derelictplaces.co.uk/main/showthread.php?t=8055&), I shall make this brief...

The NCB Coal Research Establishment was opened in 1950 by British Coal's Jacob Bronowski, to test and research methods of extracting crude oil from coal. The CRE's scientists succeeded,, however, the proess was very expensive and complicated, and was therefore not deemed economically viable. When the British coal industry was privatised in 1994, funding was no longer available and it closed its doors a few years afterwards.

We managed to see a large portion of the site - reaching the test laboratories and the main extraction plant. Anyway, on with the pictures...

One of the many chimneys that make up the extraction facilities - the part of the site most visible from the surrounding area...

IMG_6155.jpg

Inside, most machinery was left in-situ. The ground floor was by far the largest and by the looks of it the loading bay. These giant pieces of machinery were left behind...

IMG_6349.jpg

This gives an idea of the vast size of the room...

IMG_6250.jpg

The loading bay had its own control room. The weighing scales in the background of this shot went up to 5 tonnes!

IMG_6266.jpg

Off to the side of the loading bay was a room that was full of control panels - no doubt for the enormous machines upstairs...

IMG_6274.jpg

IMG_6275.jpg

The first floor was more like a balcony over the ground floor, but it had some shelves crammed full of valves, taps, screws, bolts, old tools, g-cramps and everything imaginable relating to to a factory.

IMG_6209.jpg

IMG_6286.jpg

Pipes and taps ran around the building - I can only assume they were used to transport water and coolant.

IMG_6297.jpg

IMG_6277.jpg

The second floor was an enormous room, mostly taken up by some colossal hoppers. The hoppers led straight down to the ground floor loading bay, as the first floor was off to the side. This, I can only assume, was where the finished product was loaded onto trucks.

IMG_6299.jpg

IMG_6308.jpg

Also present were some bizzare spherical-shaped structures, higher than a man, which were made of wire and had two electrodes. A current was obviously passed through, though I cannot imagine why.

IMG_6304.jpg

This was where the current was passed in, via some electrodes...

IMG_6305.jpg

The third floor was a lot lower, and was taken up by the tops of the hoppers, where whatever went through them was fed into the the main hopper. There were also a lot more pipes up here...

IMG_6315.jpg

IMG_6314.jpg

Access to the roof and the bases of the chimneys was from this room. The roof was flooded but had now frozen, so the way across it was via a rotten, rickety wooden walkway. At the other end of the roof was a large metal furnace-like structure. One of the rooms contained hoist machinery, but the other contained a bizarre furnace that was painted red and had lots of porcelain dips in the floor. This place was full of suprises.

IMG_6340.jpg

After we left, we proceeded to the proper research facilities, and a quick peep through the windows revealed what we were looking for - labs.

Access was interesting, to say the least, but once inside the labs were incredible.

IMG_6399.jpg

There were 3 different gas taps for 3 different gases...

IMG_6398.jpg

IMG_6405.jpg

The fume cupboards were equally as impressive - containing dials and guages one would not expect to find...

IMG_6401.jpg

IMG_6410.jpg

Off to the right of the labs was another machine room; this time very tall and crammed to bursting point with equipment.

IMG_6354.jpg

IMG_6358.jpg

These included a large engine that powered a drive belt, which in turn powered some huge cogs.

IMG_6376.jpg

IMG_6383.jpg

There were also some side rooms that also appeared to be labs, only this time much more industrial.

IMG_6366.jpg

There was also an office that was packed full of various coal related paperwork, some of it unopened.

IMG_6367.jpg

IMG_6369.jpg

IMG_6370.jpg

Last edited:
The extraction facilities were so large they required there own water tower, separate from that of the sites main one, but almost the same height. It offered stunning views, but the rusted top creaked and groaned under our weight. It was still a nice place to eat our Hula-Hoops though! :p

IMG_6434.jpg

IMG_6436.jpg

IMG_6447.jpg

IMG_6451.jpg

IMG_6454.jpg

Even though I saw a lot there is still a lot more to see - so watch out for another report! ;)

That is such a massive and interesting site...great to see lots more of it.
So many things I like but the stores are probably my favourite bit...I just love stores with their boxes full of bits and bobs.:mrgreen:
Look forward to seeing more, Clebby. Good stuff! :)

me and my mate went last week to this place.....and its mazzive i still need to get a topic up and gte the pictures i took uploaded...
but how the hell did u get on those roofs without being seen lol as there is afew builder's walking around lol....but saying that u went on bikes i had my car and had to leave my car down the bottom of that muddy track lmao.......

i wanna go again but my mate wont come because it takes about a hour to get there!!!!

but try being there at night as its quite freaky and there is a light that likes to keep turning off and on lmao kept freaking my mate out......

but also watch out for the dog as there is one dog that is loose at night time and this is once the gats are locked

Latest posts

Back