new pics POW camp

Derelict Places

Help Support Derelict Places:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Have to say he is well trained, we told him to "stay" and he never moved in inch the whole time we were there LOL :)

IMG_1076.png

Its all gone tits up at the camp, mate of mine went over today to see if he could salvage any bits before its knocked down, apparently its not getting knocked down, the people on site are clearing out any crap from the biuldings and then sweeping them clean, also I have been in contact with the council and no planning permission for a change of use of the site has been submitted.

The boss of the landscaping company that are currently at the site told my mate that someone from harlow turned up and started taking pics, when told he could have asked first he apparently got into a barney with the fella and ended up storming off, as a consequence no one is now allowed onto the site and if any turns up and does not leave the boss has told his workers to phone the police.

glad I got in there when I did.

Its all gone tits up at the camp, mate of mine went over today to see if he could salvage any bits before its knocked down, apparently its not getting knocked down, the people on site are clearing out any crap from the biuldings and then sweeping them clean, also I have been in contact with the council and no planning permission for a change of use of the site has been submitted.

The boss of the landscaping company that are currently at the site told my mate that someone from harlow turned up and started taking pics, when told he could have asked first he apparently got into a barney with the fella and ended up storming off, as a consequence no one is now allowed onto the site and if any turns up and does not leave the boss has told his workers to phone the police.

glad I got in there when I did.

Hi, actually, I was with the employer of the gardner, and that did not happen, the fat gardner (pikey) is one of lifes retards, who,s lack of stature in life, causes him to try a bully and throw his weight around, when he had this pointed out to him, by myself and his employer, he just shrank away, like the bitter little idiot he is, so I would not take any notice of his little rant.

Andy

I was up there today - new fence all around the site and at least one person working there. It looks like the trees and bushes have been cleared but the huts are intact, at least for now.

I "think" this is the planning application: http://planning.uttlesford.gov.uk/p..._names=reference&p_arg_values=UTT/1479/09/FUL

" Erection of 4 No. dwellings with garages and parking. Alteration of existing vehicular and pedestrian access. Demolition of timber outbuildings. Two storey side extension to include integral garage on existing farmhouse."

If this is the correct planning application, then it is due for a decision on or before 11 Feb. No mention of a builders yard, but that would never get permitted as the access (Mill Lane) is so narrow. But four up-market houses....? "Timber outbuildings" is presumably the camp. And no mention of any asbestos.

The only puzzler is that the farm is named as Little Heath Farm, Mill Lane whereas the camp is actually named Camp Farm on the map. The postcode on the application is however identical to the egg business at Camp Farm so presumably someone is trying to disguise the fact that the application involves the demolition of the POW camp.

I was up there today - new fence all around the site and at least one person working there. It looks like the trees and bushes have been cleared but the huts are intact, at least for now.

I "think" this is the planning application: http://planning.uttlesford.gov.uk/p..._names=reference&p_arg_values=UTT/1479/09/FUL

" Erection of 4 No. dwellings with garages and parking. Alteration of existing vehicular and pedestrian access. Demolition of timber outbuildings. Two storey side extension to include integral garage on existing farmhouse."

If this is the correct planning application, then it is due for a decision on or before 11 Feb. No mention of a builders yard, but that would never get permitted as the access (Mill Lane) is so narrow. But four up-market houses....? "Timber outbuildings" is presumably the camp. And no mention of any asbestos.

The only puzzler is that the farm is named as Little Heath Farm, Mill Lane whereas the camp is actually named Camp Farm on the map. The postcode on the application is however identical to the egg business at Camp Farm so presumably someone is trying to disguise the fact that the application involves the demolition of the POW camp.

Hi Caiman, when we were there on sunday we spoke to a local lady who said they had been informed of a planning application for four houses, but this was on the land where the farmhouse stands, wich is on the right as you come down the road, as far as she and the local council are concerned no application has been submitted for the land on wich the camp stands.

Dave

Hi, actually, I was with the employer of the gardner, and that did not happen, the fat gardner (pikey) is one of lifes retards, who,s lack of stature in life, causes him to try a bully and throw his weight around, when he had this pointed out to him, by myself and his employer, he just shrank away, like the bitter little idiot he is, so I would not take any notice of his little rant.

Andy

Hi Andy, funny you should say that as "retard" was the exact word my mate used to describe the guy he was talking to LOL

He rang me when he first pulled up and said "it looks like a bunch of pikies have invaded the place" as there were a few people on site,.
so the mystery deepens?

Dave

Hi Caiman, when we were there on sunday we spoke to a local lady who said they had been informed of a planning application for four houses, but this was on the land where the farmhouse stands, wich is on the right as you come down the road, as far as she and the local council are concerned no application has been submitted for the land on wich the camp stands.

OK I had wondered about that, but thought the site on the right was not large enough for four houses. In which case there are no applications that I could see for the Mill Lane camp site. I'm assuming that the site has no historical protection, in spite of being one of the most complete POW camps in the country, and certainly in SE England.

Just for interest, Mill Lane Camp was originally established to house Italian prisoners, but later was used for Germans. The wall painting in what was presumably the Brit mess room has a very German appearance. And possibly the arrangement of the wavy lines may be a reference to a well known nazi symbol. But maybe not. Hard to explain otherwise though.

Hi Andy, funny you should say that as "retard" was the exact word my mate used to describe the guy he was talking to LOL

He rang me when he first pulled up and said "it looks like a bunch of pikies have invaded the place" as there were a few people on site,.
so the mystery deepens?

Dave

I will see what environmental health have to say tomorrow.

Andy

Any update on this Andy?

Hi, at the moment no one anywhere seems to know what is going on, but will post when I find out, I have been in touch with English Heritage and submitted photo,s of the place, to see if there can be an order placed on it.

Andy

Hi, at the moment no one anywhere seems to know what is going on, but will post when I find out, I have been in touch with English Heritage and submitted photo,s of the place, to see if there can be an order placed on it.

Andy

Thanks for the info Andy, it would be nice if english heritage could at least give it a scheduled monument status, although it wont stop its deteration it will at least ensure its survival.

Enough of the procrastination from me. This thread has been the kick up the butt I needed to get off said butt this weekend and go and check out a certain POW camp before it's too late. Assuming it isn't too late already.

Only one way to find out... get on my Dancing Shoes. OK, wellies, but you get the idea. ;)

Latest posts

Back