RAF Greenham common Airbase (first report)

Derelict Places

Help Support Derelict Places:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LiamWg

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Reaction score
Well there ain't much to say really this was my first major explore other than Colthrop paper mill and the derelict houses near there. But i can honestly say it was a very enjoyable day and has made me want to do some more exploring :)

Oh and sorry about the picture quality i haven't got a decent camera and the pictures taken on my phone the quality was inconsistent :p

I'm sure you all know the place but if not here is some history courtesy of Wikipedia :p

RAF Station Greenham Common is a former military airfield in Berkshire, England. The airfield is located approximately 2 miles (3.2 km) south-southwest of Thatcham; about 50 miles (80 km) west of London
Opened in 1942, it was used by both the Royal Air Force and United States Army (later Air) Force during World War II and the Cold War. After the Cold War ended it was closed in 1993.
The airfield was also known for the Greenham Common Women's Peace Camp held outside its gates in the 1980s.

Photo0071-1.png

My favourite picture :D got to say this is one of the most unusual places i have had my lunch :D
it also shows the sheer size of the place.
awsomeee.png

Photo0074-Copy.png

Photo0080-Copy.png

Photo0082-Copy.png

Found this quite funny :p
Photo0105.png

Photo0079.png

Photo0108.png

Photo0073-Copy.png

Photo0072.png

Agreed, a very good day and some great pictures, bring on Pyestock! :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

hell yeah and i should be using my brothers camera so the pics should be a bit better quality :D

I need to look at my photographic skills-or lack of-as these shots look pretty decent to my world weary eyes.
Love the lunch shot,it really puts the place into perspective.Though quite how you managed to be both eating lunch and photographing yourself,remains one of life's great enefables.
Excellent stuff.:)
P.S. Is that the famous/infamous caravan?

Thanks :D I didn't consider myself to have any photography skills as i don't even own a decent camera.
Yes it is the famous caravan we were lucky enough for it to be in the first bunker we went in. :)

thanks for looking :)

A few years ago that caravan used to be out in the open, not far from the derelict hangar, which was accessible at that time. Of course since then the whole hangar area has been fenced off or become industrially-owned and the caravan moved into the bunkers for some reason.

thanks guys for replying as it was my first explore all i didn't really expect much but thank you :D

Nice pictures the lunch shot is epic! you ill have to make a return trip with me someday mate ;)

Wouldnt fancy going back myself - Greenham Common has invisible security!

.did you see the plane in the water tank?

Nope, didn't know there was one we missed some of the site due to seeing a static caravan that looked in good condition and we were worried it was security :p

Greenham common trust hire ghosts for there security Zotez :p

Latest posts

Back