Sundon chalk pits underground tunnels.

Derelict Places

Help Support Derelict Places:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lutonman12

Reaction score
After seeing a few threads knocking about on these myself and my "partner in crime!!!"Prendy decided to go and have a look for ourselves!!!
I for one was quite impressed with what we found (and not at all scared honest!!!lmao!!!)
after a bit of a mosey about we starting finding holes in the ground!!!

underground051.jpg

underground010.jpg

Then there was the obligatory "you go first,no you go first routine!!"lol prendy drew the short straw!!!

underground011.jpg

underground012.jpg

underground013.jpg

Then it was my turn!!
underground014.jpg

And were in!!

underground021.jpg

underground015.jpg

underground016.jpg

This was just one room jobby!!!So on to the next!!!

underground025.jpg

this entrance looked bit tight but we found this not far away.

underground051.jpg

So in we went

underground052.jpg

underground049.jpg

underground045.jpg

underground046.jpg

underground032.jpg

underground034.jpg

At the end of the tunnel was a room with a huge "silo" thingy above us(not sure what is was used for??)

underground029.jpg

underground037.jpg

And the entrance with the ladder!!
underground038.jpg

underground039.jpg

We'd seen pics of bigger tunnels here so we were off on the hunt!!
Soon enough we found this.....

underground056.jpg

underground057.jpg

underground058.jpg

underground060.jpg

Im gonna try and do these in order but it was very dark and a bit confusing so i just pointed and shot!!!

underground092.jpg

underground095.jpg

underground093.jpg

underground089.jpg

There turned out to be a couple of entrances.
underground094.jpg

underground099.jpg

underground085.jpg

underground070.jpg

underground069.jpg

underground063.jpg

underground073.jpg

underground076.jpg

underground090.jpg

underground091.jpg

Another entrance

underground074.jpg

Then back to the start!!!
underground098.jpg

We were quite happy with what we found and both came out into the sunlight smiling (And squinting!!!)

Quite a good system of tunnels and pitch black down there!!!Not exactly the catacombs but its a start!!!

Thanks for looking.......(sorry it was a bit "pic heavy"!!!)

If your in the area its well worth a look.
Thanks to the guys who posted about this before wouldnt have known it was there otherwise.

great day out, everywhere we went we found something cool.

pics came out good considering we couldn't see feck all!!!

Time to invest in a better torch me thinks................

Ahh, the calk pits. It's two minutes from where I normally live and I've been there waaaaaaaay too many times.

Right next to where your first shots were taken is where the quarry train line used to be and if you look around you can see where the heavy foundations were - probably for cranes? If you do a google search you'll find pictures of what the trains used to look like and an old basic map of the place.

That second area does have a nasty feeling to it, doesn't it. Some days it's ok, others it smells of paraffin. Apparently a lot of unexplained accidents happened there with trains catching fire for no reason etc. Not that I really believe it. Did you take a look at the fishing area? It's a nice ten minute walk. Oh, and you can try the landfill site if you're relaly bored. :mrgreen:

http://www.explorationing.com/?p=9

Last edited:
Ahh, the calk pits. It's two minutes from where I normally live and I've been there waaaaaaaay too many times.

Right next to where your first shots were taken is where the quarry train line used to be and if you look around you can see where the heavy foundations were - probably for cranes? If you do a google search you'll find pictures of what the trains used to look like and an old basic map of the place.

That second area does have a nasty feeling to it, doesn't it. Some days it's ok, others it smells of paraffin. Apparently a lot of unexplained accidents happened there with trains catching fire for no reason etc. Not that I really believe it. Did you take a look at the fishing area? It's a nice ten minute walk. Oh, and you can try the landfill site if you're relaly bored. :mrgreen:

i lived right next to the main entrance in upper sundon for a bit and used to walk round there every day with my dog but this was my 1st time in the tunnels, found one entrance before that we didn't manage to find this time, i think there is alot more that we haven't seen yet. saw alot of entrances that had been filled in but then through gaps in concrete looked clear.

even what we saw in the pics we couldn't really see as it was as dark as gary glitter's soul!!:lol:

definate re-visit with better gear.

Back