Taunton stopline, South Chard sect.- July 2010

Derelict Places

Help Support Derelict Places:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Munchh

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Reaction score
This was a nostalgia trip for me and a loner as photonut is in Norway scouting potential sites. I first visited this section as a kid in 1976 and this is the first time I've been back. You would not stumble across it.

A bit of history and info.

This Stop Line ran from the north coast of Somerset down to Seaton, Devon and the installations were built by private contractors and Army personnel.

Following is a direct quote from my favorite website on the subject. I hope the author doesn't mind but I couldn't have described it better.

"The Line, of over 300 pillboxes plus machine gun emplacements, anti-tank gun emplacements, anti-tank ditches, infantry trenches and many other defences, ran down from the Pawlett Hams in the north of Somerset, along the River Parrett and then, following the east bank of the Bridgwater and Taunton canal southward, to Creech St. Michael where it joined and followed the dried-up bed of the old Taunton & Chard Canal. South-west of Ilton the Line traced the route of the Great Western Railway southward. North of Chard Junction the Line left the G.W.R. and followed the route shared by the Southern Railway and the River Axe, briefly crossing over into Dorset in a couple of places, finally following the Axe into the seaside town of Seaton, Devon, where the Stop Line ended."

After parking my car in a lay by, I made the 2 mile trek neccesary to avoid trespass to the southern end of the section near Forton bridge (demolished long since). Along the way, I decided to check out the type 24 on The Drift. An old drovers lane running between windwhistle hill and Forton hill. This is what I found;

100_0705.jpg

And inside;

100_0703.jpg

100_0702.jpg

100_0701.jpg

100_0700.jpg

Beautiful condition, zero graffiti! and totally overgrown.

Next up, the old railway itself. Will follow up with more later but for now as a taster of what's here;

A rail block

100_0743.jpg

100_0741.jpg

and it's partner

100_0740.jpg

surrounded by about 30 anti-tank cubes

100_0744.jpg

and a gaggle of Tetrahedra

100_0739.jpg

Also, a concrete platform 25 feet long;

100_0748.jpg

with lots of these

100_0751.jpg

100_0750.jpg

100_0747.jpg

More will follow, but in the meantime, here's me looking towards an elevated 24 in a farmers field which once I get permission I will photograph for your pleasure.

100_0735.jpg

100_0734.jpg

Covered 8 miles on foot and I'm knackered!

Last edited:
fook me that type 24 is clean. I'm drooling. the round sockets in your photo could have been mine sockets but the square ones look like sockets for roadblocks

fook me that type 24 is clean. I'm drooling. the round sockets in your photo could have been mine sockets but the square ones look like sockets for roadblocks

It's directly on the trackbed and flanked by the rail block. The square ones are for hairpins I think. Still not sure about the round ones though.

Thanks for your interest

round ones look like mine sockets to me when armed the weight of a train running over the line would have set them off (just had a look on the pillbox study group web site http://www.pillbox-study-group.org.uk/basingstokeantitankexcavation.htm and they look similar to the ones on there)

Think you're right. This appears as an array along with the hairpins, cubes,tetrahedra and rail block and was clearly a defensive stronghold designed to stop German tanks using the line to progress or crossing.

There is a rail over road bridge a couple of miles south of their location. Just prior to the bridge is an elevated (and originally disguised as a house) thick walled type 24 with a sunken trench in front and a 3 foot high brick built buttressed wall running some 30 feet parallel to the trackbed.

Thanks for that

Last edited:
Really good to see more of the stop line. Krela did the whole lot...how long did it take you K? I'm at the Seaton end so I've done the first half of the Axe Valley, plus odd bits. It's a great stretch of defences.
Love the railway stuff. My initial thought was barrage balloon testing, but I guess not.
Cheers. :)

Yeah I've seen and photographed literally everything there is to see on the taunton stopline all the way from Pawlett by Bridgewater down to Seaton in Devon (and everything else ww2 related in Somerset for that matter).

It took about 25 days in total and well upwards of 100 miles of walking!

Many Thanks Munchh. It's great to see a railblock so comprehensively intact.

A couple of interior shots of another Type 24 on this section 'thru the loophole'. Batteries died as I was setting up to shoot the outside. Then I broke one of the legs on my tripod, very annoying.

Fair amount of natural detritus on the floor inside but otherwise looked clean as a whistle. Will get this one in full when I go back.

100_0758.jpg

100_0756.jpg

Few more externals of the Drift 24. Heavily overgrown, but details apparent if you look hard enough.

100_0707.jpg

100_0706.jpg

100_0704.jpg

I love this place, so undisturbed.

Some great stuff there though myself I would have chanced the pillbox in the field I doubt they would have minded as long as your not doing damage or scaring off any animals.:)

Some great stuff there though myself I would have chanced the pillbox in the field I doubt they would have minded as long as your not doing damage or scaring off any animals.:)

Thanks night crawler
Yeah fair one. The reason for my caution is the presence of a stud farm or stables in the area with twitchy owners due to recent rustling scares. This particular field is empty however as you can see from the pics.

Also, there is a protected wildlife reserve at the Forton Road Bridge end of the old trackbed and I didn't want to blot my copybook with the locals. The thick- walled house-disguised type 24 I mentioned is just within the security fence of this reserve and I really want to photograph it. So, softly softly as they say.

The TW 24 through the fence

100_0708.jpg

and it's guardian

100_0732.jpg

Thanks night crawler
Yeah fair one. The reason for my caution is the presence of a stud farm or stables in the area with twitchy owners due to recent rustling scares. This particular field is empty however as you can see from the pics.

Also, there is a protected wildlife reserve at the Forton Road Bridge end of the old trackbed and I didn't want to blot my copybook with the locals. The thick- walled house-disguised type 24 I mentioned is just within the security fence of this reserve and I really want to photograph it. So, softly softly as they say.
They can be twtchy as we found out on Geograph so best ask them, no doubt they will be ok with thing as the reserve once they know what your after, proably think your some kind of geek. :)

Yeah I've seen and photographed literally everything there is to see on the taunton stopline all the way from Pawlett by Bridgewater down to Seaton in Devon (and everything else ww2 related in Somerset for that matter).

It took about 25 days in total and well upwards of 100 miles of walking!

That's a mammoth task by the way krela, respect.

It's directly on the trackbed and flanked by the rail block. The square ones are for hairpins I think. Still not sure about the round ones though.

Thanks for your interest

Yup the square ones are definitely for hairpins. There are sone great examples further north on the path from Ilminster town centre to Dillington House.

And a few others peppered around (north of Axmouth, north of Axminster). Indeed if you look st the pillboxes/roadblocks along The Drift - several of the hairpin slots have been dug up and are lying on the ground nearby.

The round ones are completely new to me - I must revisit. Anyway, great stuff.

Yup the square ones are definitely for hairpins. There are sone great examples further north on the path from Ilminster town centre to Dillington House.

Thanks Andy, I'll check them out.

And a few others peppered around (north of Axmouth, north of Axminster). Indeed if you look st the pillboxes/roadblocks along The Drift - several of the hairpin slots have been dug up and are lying on the ground nearby.

Again, thanks, will be going back at a later date.

The round ones are completely new to me - I must revisit. Anyway, great stuff.

Jonney has suggested mine sockets which sounds right.

Latest posts

Back