The 1880 Channel Tunnel Attempt, September 2008

Derelict Places

Help Support Derelict Places:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Maniac

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Reaction score
I noticed there wasn't a report from here on this forum, which surprised me as it's a well visited and documented site. Saying that I'm sure most of you have probably seen or heard of it before, but for those that haven't it might be of interest.

There is only a short section of this tunnel now acessible, it quickly becomes flooded as it dips downhill, and eventually the water reaches the roof.

The first few photos show the audit tunnel, which intesects with the actual tunnel bore after about 70 metres.
It's not the most inspiring of sites, it's just a chalk tunnel. The audit leading down to the tunnel has more interesting features, but the most interesting thing to be found is an inscription on one of the tunnel walls which reads 'This tunnel was begubgun in 1880. William Sharp' (and it's bloody hard to photograph.)

Anyhow, have a few pics.

The audit leading down to the tunnel
phoca_thumb_l_image01.jpg

Further in . . .
phoca_thumb_l_image02.jpg

This reinforced part is where the audit passes under the mainline railway, itself in a tunnel not terribly far above.
phoca_thumb_l_image03.jpg

One tunnel bore. The tunnel is about 7ft in diameter. The plan was to bore it this size, then widen it to a full 14feet using a second boring machine. However this never happened, the entire thing was scrapped after an act of paliament prevented any tunneling beyond the low water mark. The government of the time were too nervious about the tunnel being used for invasion of the brisith isles to let the project proceed.

phoca_thumb_l_image05.jpg

phoca_thumb_l_image06.jpg

And the infamous 1880 graffiti very badly photographed by me.
phoca_thumb_l_image07.jpg

Hope you enjoy!

Maniac.

Cool tunnel. I find it quite difficult to believe that tthey'd even attempt it with the anglo-french relationship back then.

Great Explore...
Is that the one that was on BBC's "Coast"?
Either way, looks a great explore, not to keen on that tight part though, looks like its been filled in with concrete...?
Nice work getting down there, thanks for sharing.
Tom.

Excellent stuff !! Yet another thing to put on my to do list when in Dover/Folkestone.Many thanks for the Gen !!!

Great Explore...
Is that the one that was on BBC's "Coast"?
Either way, looks a great explore, not to keen on that tight part though, looks like its been filled in with concrete...?
Nice work getting down there, thanks for sharing.
Tom.

I believe it was featured on that program, although I've not seen it myself, I'm going by what I've heard. The tight part isn't too bad, it's about 3ft high, easy enough to crawl through. It's only where it's been reinforced to take the weight of the mainline railway above it, that bit is in the audit anyway, not the tunnel its self.

I will add that you can't access this now, when we went it was quite by chance that someone had broken the lock off so it was open, but it's since been locked up good and proper with a decent lock, so no chance if you havn't got the key.

Maniac.

I hadn't heard of this either. I actually find it a bit scary. Normally I'm okay about being or seeing pics from underground, but this one's odd. :eek::confused:
Cool, though! :mrgreen:

Great to see these pics, i remember seeing it on the brilliant 'Coast' series, and i'm sure there was mention of pressure on the powers that be at the time from the equivalent of todays Daily Mail and Sun readers to stop the project to link with France, they showed the same original graffiti too in the programme.

Great pics - I've always wanted to do this one. I'm assuming the tide was out when you went!:)

The bit of the tunnel you can explore is above the waterline, and the water that floods the tunnel further in is not tidal, it sits at the same level regardless of the tide. :)

Maniac

Hmmm - thats interesting. Its clear that access is not what I thought it was. Could you PM me some info? I'd be ever so grateful!!!:lol:

Thats very cool, i love the way you lit the bore hole up at one end, made it look a bit like a giant cigarette.....
:mrgreen:

Latest posts

Back