The Bane Of My Life

Derelict Places

Help Support Derelict Places:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sheep2405

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Reaction score
This is a drain that we will have lots more photos of.

So far the people that have been with me and have helped me to try and get in are, Krela, Bishop, Crashoverride, Mrs Crashoverride, Smilysal, Foxylady and King Al. We still havent got past the first hurdle with it though.

We plan to do this one again soon, as this time we broke the mahole keys trying to get in.

Here is a little photo just to temp people.

th_DSC00345.jpg

Ah, nice mechanically assisted hatch you have there. Such a tease. Do we get a hint on the hurdle... or is that the broken key?

Oh broken key, that hurt my back is killing the problem is some serious 2 meter square manhole covers that are very very heavy and wedged solid, thinking of getting a bigger tool from work to open it, the drain is three miles long big enough to drive a bus through and the fire service use part of it to train in for there confined space work.

I hope to get in there soon. Will keep you informed, if you ever fancy popping to Wales before you go home let me know.

S

Last edited:
big enough to drive a bus through

I hope to get in there soon. Will keep you informed, if you ever fancy popping to Wales before you go home let me know.

S

That sentence pretty much sealed the deal. Haven't been up to Wales yet this could be a good excuse.

Don't know what cover popping apparatus you have but one handy Australian tip is take a piece of climbing tape and put that around/through your manhole key, loop the tape around your waist, squat over the manhole and lift the whole thing with your legs and arms. I haven't tweaked my back on a cover in the longest time. 1inch tape or a fat sewn sling is perfect.

It's less than discrete but you might unjam that stuck manhole with a few bangs from a sledgehammer.

That sentence pretty much sealed the deal. Haven't been up to Wales yet this could be a good excuse.

Don't know what cover popping apparatus you have but one handy Australian tip is take a piece of climbing tape and put that around/through your manhole key, loop the tape around your waist, squat over the manhole and lift the whole thing with your legs and arms. I haven't tweaked my back on a cover in the longest time. 1inch tape or a fat sewn sling is perfect.

It's less than discrete but you might unjam that stuck manhole with a few bangs from a sledgehammer.

Yes I remeber seeing you use one of them, when i saw you opening drains in OZ. It seemed to do the trick, but these are very heavy cover they are steel boxed, then they have concrete poured into the square boxes on the top. They are about four inches thick. Because of the size of this drain they really dont want it being opened.

But feel free to drop me a line you are welcome to come up anytime you want Dsankt.

S

Last edited:
Strange thing today. A van with the name of Drainmasters on it's side pulled up in my close. Three blokes went around all the manhole covers (there are quite a few of them) and lifted each cover to inspect inside. One guy had a map or schematic (I would love to get hold of that) and the other guys who were doing the lifting had very long-handled drain keys (I was watching closely from my window :D ). They seemed to lift the covers quite easily with those, although one cover couldn't be lifted. Don't know if the longer handles might be more helpful.

Strange thing today. A van with the name of Drainmasters on it's side pulled up in my close. Three blokes went around all the manhole covers (there are quite a few of them) and lifted each cover to inspect inside. One guy had a map or schematic (I would love to get hold of that) and the other guys who were doing the lifting had very long-handled drain keys (I was watching closely from my window :D ). They seemed to lift the covers quite easily with those, although one cover couldn't be lifted. Don't know if the longer handles might be more helpful.

Were they lifting THE manhole covers though?

Fucksake, for some reason I thought sheep posted that.

LOL I'm a muppet, it must be past my bedtime.

Sorry foxy :)

Pffffffft!!! Over 600 quid??? :eek: :lol:

I like the way the link came up with part of the site title...Magnetic Man...instead of magnetic manhole cover lifter. Sounds like a super-hero. And for that price I would expect one too! ;)

I would love to borrow them off you only if you came up personally and delivered them, since I have been waiting to meet you for ages now....lol.....

well let me know when you want them. I expect to be out for a big road trip before easter, So there might be prospect for something then.

Latest posts

Back