The Box Report - 2011/2012/2013

Derelict Places

Help Support Derelict Places:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cogito

Supporting Member
Veteran Member
Reaction score
Box Freestone Mine in Wiltshire. It'd always been a place that amazed me, seeing photos of the Cathedral chamber, endless junctions, tunnels and features of interest. But somehow I never got round to making plans to go there.

So as it happens, my first trip there came about entirely by accident. I was in the area, had all the necessary gear with me and my actual plans came to an abrupt halt. I was at a loose end and just a mile from Box, the choice was obvious that a trip to the Quarryman's Arms was in order.

With the key and a laminated map of the central region in hand, it was time to get cracking. Within 10 minutes we were in the infamous Cathedral.

'ello treacle
_DSC1889.jpg

This place seems even bigger in the flesh, and one helluva lot darker that's for sure. ISO800, f/8 and 30 seconds in case you were wondering.

After following the tourist trail printed on the back of the map so as not to get lost in the 90km+ of tunnels, I took barely a single other photo.

I was hooked.

A year past and I'd still not had a chance for a revisit, that was until a chance coinciding of dates amongst friends took place. Back we go!

_DSC9559.jpg

It really is hard conveying the scale of this chamber.
_DSC9556.jpg

Of course, with there being a lot more to see than just Cathedral, we pressed on back into the darkness.
DSC_3472.jpg

Following the tourist trail again as my companions had not visited before, we swung by to say hello to the robots.
_DSC9598.jpg

Towards the East of the central region, beyond the robots, things get a little interesting... With anti-personnel wire making an appearance.
DSC_0677.jpg

And the grate leading down Brewer's Drift into Groundstone Quarry.
DSC_0670.jpg

Brewer's Drift, aka Heart Attack Alley.
DSC_0686.jpg

_DSC9591.jpg

Brewer's Drift was used as an air supply drift from Box for Tunnel Quarry when the MOD took over Tunnel, Spring and Groundstone.

At the end of the drift you reach a sealed steel red door, with a constant loud droning noise coming from beyond. I wonder what could be in there?
DSC_0678.jpg

Heading back up the drift to Groundstone Quarry proper, you reach a junction with the left fork heading south to wind tunnel.
_DSC1892.jpg

While Brewer's Drift was grated off as seen above, Wind Tunnel was a little more interesting.
_DSC1895.jpg

Lots of anti-personnel wire here.
_DSC1899.jpg

Wind tunnel was used as an air supply drift for Spring Quarry, while Brewer's supplied Tunnel Quarry.

At the dead end of Wind Tunnel, you reach another interesting red steel door. No noise from behind this one, I wonder what's beyond?
DSC_3453.jpg

After many tiring hours underground, it was time to call it a night.
_DSC9603.jpg

Refreshed by sleep the following day, back we went!

An underground cloud. Neat.
DSC_0669.jpg

This time we ventured north...
DSC_0661.jpg

The north region was one of the last operational workings in the complex, as such a lot of artefacts remain.
DSC_3463.jpg

There's also many tracks still left in tact.
DSC_3456.jpg

DSC_3455.jpg

But what it's really famous for, is the cranes.
DSC_3459.jpg

Unfortunately we had to cut the day short, as real life got in the way and we had to return to normality.
DSC_0645.jpg

I definitely have to go back and see more of the North and South regions...

Were you on your own for some of this? :eek: :eek: I bet you dont get a mobile phone signal down there.

Last edited:
Wow thank you these are amazing and what a place! *gets out list of places to visit*

TeeJF don't remember a Forum visit. Must watch out for another I'd love to go there.

T'was in February last year. I think we had about twelve peeps on the day including UrbanX, Mr. Bones, Loolahtahulah and CovertUrbex. I can't actually remember anyone else's "handles". It was organised by Robert Cannon (KingRat) who has since been binned for a spiteful bout of alcohol fuelled rhetoric in the forum one night.

Here's most of the group before we went in.

Box_Quarry-1.jpg

It was a great trip though I did find crawling through narrow bits on my belly rather gruelling to say the least and I was plastered in Box mud afterwards. Tracy and I stayed at The Quarryman's Arms both the nights before and after which made it really laid back. Great food, great atmos, and we had a cracking get together with all the group in the bar after we had re-emerged! The free chilli vodka was a hoot.

[There's some memories tied up in those photos I like em all but number 2 is probably the best,what's behind the doors...well
http://www.monkton-farleigh.co.uk/sc_tunnelquarry1.htm

. We missed that mechanism on the railway truck though. Very enjoyable report. Thanks.[/QUOTE said:
the mechanism is called a crab winch was used to haul blocks of stone

Awesome shot my man! As we'd expect from you!
I love the adventure down there, there's a proper "Goonies" moment the first time you wander into the cathedral!
Great shots, cheers for sharing! :)

Were you on your own for some of this? :eek: :eek: I bet you dont get a mobile phone signal down there.

Not a chance of mobile signal anywhere underground!

But no, I never went alone. On one visit we did bump into one chap who was down there on his own though. He was in his 60s and had been frequenting the mine for some 30 years.

I once got a text message in the cathedral, but if you're relying on phone signal for your safety then you're making a mistake!

Hi, a quick question on Box, for anyone who knows the answer.
What's the temperature like down there in mid-winter?

I've heard it's a consistent 14C all year round, so when it's -3 out it'll actually feel quite toasty down there.
When I went last it was 14C outside, so not really a good comparison!

Back