Torpedo Testing Tank, The Clyde - Feb/Mar 2010

Derelict Places

Help Support Derelict Places:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BenCooper

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Reaction score
There's a torpedo testing station on the Clyde at Arrochar, which I've reported on before, as have a bunch of other people - this dates from the same era. It is, basically, a giant tank of water which was used to test the launching, running and possibly impact of torpedoes.

The tank itself is imposingly massive, with gantries and cranes at one end to lift up the test torpedoes. The other side contained labs.

Inside, it's been stripped, and is now used for training.

Up some stairs, though, and you come to the viewing galleries - one wall of the tank is reinforced glass - it's Scotland's biggest fishtank.

Back outside, and up some rusty stairs to the top of the tank. There's a launching cradle for the torpedoes, and what I think is an impact target - it's got a massive hydraulic ram.

After this, it was back down and out, pausing for one last look.

As usual, there are loads more pictures in my Flickr set...

I thought you'd gone mad with HDR in the internal photos, but the colours really are like that!

Some of them are HDR, but only because the exposure through the tank was pretty difficult - I didn't turn the colours up :)

That's an impressive place, reminds me of the La Rochelle U-boat pens from the outside :)

Loving the colours inside, sweet!

This is still classified MOD land so if anyone else is thinking of going.........have a real think.

great looking place ben and your pics come out really well, its a massive chunk of engineering at its best :)

Back