Two storey pillbox at Steeton - in danger

Derelict Places

Help Support Derelict Places:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Pill Box - Steeton Dump

Hi All

I am a new member here after recently seeing pictures of Dalton Mill, taken by one of your members. I am Archivist/Webmaster of the Keighley & District Local History Society - www.keighleyhistory.co.uk our Forum can be found at http://keighleyhistory.proboards.com/index.cgi?

REASONS FOR DESIGNATION:
The two-storey pillbox and two fire posts at Steeton, Keighley, are designated at Grade II for the following principal reasons:
Rarity: the pillbox is an extremely rare example of a two-storey Type 24 pillbox from the Second World War, one of only four known surviving examples
Intactness: the pillbox and two fire posts are unaltered and complete Group Value: the pillbox and two fire posts form a group of defensive structures guarding a Royal Ordnance Factory.

QUOTE I've had a phone call today from a nice lady from English Heritage who informed me that all three boxes are now listed.
Keep it under your hats for the moment as she is sending the paperwork for this to me. When I receive it I will inform the Keighley News officially and hopefully it will be in next week's issue with an official statement.
But basically, job done. Get the beers in! Mine's a Timothy Taylor's Golden Best. ;D

Now we need to look at some grant money (section 106? or Heritage Lottery Funding) and involve a local school in seeing that these pillboxes are fully restored for posterity.
I'm going to start asking about that tonight as I know a man who knows about these things. Funnily enough, he drinks beer too. END

We are now looking at a way to set up a Committee, to find a way forward with the hope these boxes

I hope you will all go to our Forum and follow the story on there................ Jan

If anyone has any Keighley photographs they wish to share - which we can add to our archive this would be wonderful - the ones of Dalton Mill are marvellous...thank you for adding such wonderful pictures to your site.

Jan

Last edited:
This is fantastic news Jan. I'm lucky enough to live about half a mile away from one of the other surviving two storey 24's and I'd hate to see one of these disappear. I'll follow the progress of this avidly.

Steeton Pill Boxes

I have to apologise to the ForumAdmin for posting a link to our Forum on this site. I must admit, I should have checked the rules out first!! So a BIG SORRY.

It was really so that interested parties could follow everything that has been done in order to save these boxes for future generation.

One of our group, also asked for copies of the two cartoons which were placed in the T & A, we were sent both of these, with the aim of eventually, numbering and selling them in order to make funds for the upkeep of the two boxes, which we are hoping local school and a group which at this point is called "Steeton Dump Preservation Trust"

As we all know there are so many sites and buildings like this which need preserving, rather than letting them go to ruin and then disappear forever. We have many in our own town centre and on the outskirts in Keighley, sometimes we don't do anything UNTIL IT IS TOO LATE - I hope we can save many such buildings:)

[email protected]

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back