WATFORD ROC Group HQ No. 5 June 2011

Derelict Places

Help Support Derelict Places:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WinchItIn

Reaction score
Explored with Tocsin_Bang

I would like to start by saying, A big Thankyou to " Park Veterinary Centre " for a Pre-arranged visit.

Info from Subbrit, Date protected accommodation opened: 18.11.1961 Date closed: 1973.

ROC 5 GROUP HEADQUARTERS in Cassiobury Drive Watford. 17 Group as it was designated during the war moved into their new purpose built headquarters in 1943 having vacated their former HQ in the GPO buildings in Market Street Watford. The new centre consisted of a central brick built two storey control room with single storey prefabricated blocks around it, similar to WW2 centres at Winchester and Bedford (now demolished). Unlike Winchester and Bedford a brick second storey has also been added to one of these blocks. In 1953 Watford was redesignated 5 Group with protected accommodation being opened at the rear on the 18th November 1961.

For at least the past 25 years the former Group Control has been used by the Park Veterinary Centre who have the WW2 buildings as their surgery, offices and public reception area. The bunker is used for storage, mainly old records, discarded furniture and medical apparatus and empty cardboard boxes. They have also fortified the radio room on the lower floor for use as their store.

Watford is a semi-sunken bunker with the main entrance into a small blockhouse on top of the mounded middle floor, the surface blockhouse giving access to the bunker is light green while the rest of the buildings are white. There are only a few rooms on this top level, a filter room and two small decontamination rooms. Beyond these stairs lead down to the middle level with a dog leg into the main spine corridor. On this dog leg is the sewage pump room with the pumps still in place and in good condition in a small sump. The corridor is clear of clutter and much as it was left in operational days with some small hanging pointers indicating the rooms still in place. One says 'GPO Equipment Room' while another points downwards to the 'Ops Room, Ground Floor and Wireless Room'. Moving along the spine corridor the rooms on the left are male and female toilets which are both intact with all their fixtures and fittings. Beyond these are the officers room and the male and female dormitories. These have been completely stripped and are now used for storage.

IMG_0551.jpg

Entrance.

IMG_0451.jpg

Stairs down.

IMG_0533.jpg

IMG_0387.jpg

Main corridor.

IMG_0407.jpg

Compressors.

IMG_0435.jpg

IMG_0480.jpg

Ops room from above.

IMG_0561.jpg

Peeley paint.

IMG_0504.jpg

IMG_0467.jpg

Main fuse board.

IMG_0403.jpg

IMG_0474.jpg

Old wireless.​

More pics can be found here... http://s971.photobucket.com/albums/ae195/WinchItIn/ROC HQ G5/

Thanks for looking
Winch​

Well done you, if memory’s right this is the bunker used in a 1960’s bbc short film that explained the role of the roc.

It was first sold off to a solicitor that then was turned into a vet’s so got to be the one!
I got rained off a reccie this weekend and spent all Sunday looking through the roof for boxes from my surveying days, one should have group hq’s in, once i’ve gone through the crap I’ll post any photo’s.

Was a big no no for contractors to use any cameras but I had to document both works needed and completed so was able to use a one on free rains

Nice report mate, the biulding in front that the vets use was the original WW2 Roc headquarters.:)

It was first sold off to a solicitor that then was turned into a vet’s so got to be the one!

Vet's have been there for over 15 years, you're not getting mixed up with Maidstone ROC HQ are you by any chance? (Maidstone has always been owned by a solicitors)

[ame="http://www.derelictplaces.co.uk/main/showthread.php?t=17179"]http://www.derelictplaces.co.uk/main/showthread.php?t=17179[/ame]

Latest posts

Back