Wymeswold Airfield, derelict MOD Buildings.

Derelict Places

Help Support Derelict Places:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That last pic is an marker tile, they place them over buried cable so when you're digging you know what you're about to cut through.

You have captured the character there in your photos,old airfields always have a story to tell and theres always loads of stuff lying around to tell it as you have shown,nice work mate:)

By the way,I suppose that battery could have had a multitude of uses on an airfield "But" my dad worked as a sparky for a well known local bus company in the seventies and he had four of these on trickle charge in the garage for emergency lighting etc.He got them from a bus when it was scrapped.I suppose they would have needed some sort of a bus to move the personnel around on the airfield,...just a thought or useless bit of info:lol::lol:

Thanks for the comments, Johno23,
the Nife batteries were very tolerant of abuse such as overcharging, long periods left uncharged, etc,without being damaged apparently.
i really like this place, and find something new everytime i go there!
got some more pics of 2 fuel storage/pumping areas to post up soon when i get round to it:)

Thanks for showing me round today Kaputnik! Popping the photos I got up, Never looked at this thread yet I still have managed to take the same shot as you (the last one) lol.

longic9.jpg

rubbishgf3.jpg

paintingtm7.jpg

strangeshapeuc9.jpg

Nice little find you've got there, love the 'electricity' brick, and the old electronics.

Great photos both of you as always :)

To think i have driven through Wymeswold so many times and never knew this little lot existed..would love to check it out myself as only up the road from me.

I used to work at Bruntingthorpe aerodrome and dug up those marker tiles all the time, i wondered why they have them in areas that were right on the border of the site? why didnt they just bury them slightly deeper and save time and money?

Latest posts

Back