F.A.W.7 US Navy, Dunkeswell Air Base, Devon - March 09

Derelict Places

Help Support Derelict Places:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Foxylady

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Reaction score
Originally planned to be a Fighter Command then a Coastal Command, Dunkeswell was transferred for use by American units and was the only base used by the US Navy on UK land. Their Anti-Submarine Unit played a vital role in the 'Battle of the Atlantic, operating against German U-Boats in order to keep the supply line open between the USA and Great Britain. 181 USN airmen were killed in action, including Joseph Kennedy, the elder brother of the late President JFK.

Squadrons Stationed:

4th Anti-Submarine Squadron. 479th Anti-Submarine Group. Aug - Sept 1943
6th Anti-Submarine Squadron. 479th Anti-Submarine Group. Aug - Sept 1943
19th Anti-Submarine Squadron. 479th Anti-Submarine Group. Aug - Sept 1943
22nd Anti-Submarine Squadron. 479th Anti-Submarine Group. Aug - Sept 1943

VB-103 Fleet Air Wing 7. United States Navy. Sept 1943 - July 1945
VB-105 Fleet Air Wing 7. United States Navy. Sept 1943 - July 1945
VB-110 Fleet Air Wing 7. United States Navy. Sept 1943 - July 1945

16 Ferry Unit. RAF Transpert Command. Aug 1945 - April 1946

VB-103 was the first USN unit to train with the RAF, followed by the other units, and were equipped with Liberators then PB4Y-1 Privateers on Anti-Submarine patrols.

Some of the remaining buildings were prefabricated in America and shipped over and put together here.

Ground Crew: herts digger, ricasso and Foxylady. :mrgreen:

dunkeswell32.jpg

dunkeswell33.jpg

After checking in at the Flight Centre our first stop was the Control Tower site.

No Entry. :mrgreen:

dunkeswell18.jpg

The Control Tower.

dunkeswell08.jpg

dunkeswell01.jpg

dunkeswell10.jpg

dunkeswell12.jpg

The purpose of the two buildings near-by is a little hard to fathom, as according to the 1944 dated map there were several buildings clustered together. However, I think they were the radar workshops and stores. There is also an area were huts once stood on piles.

Radar Workshops and Stores.

dunkeswell04.jpg

Site Area of the Crash Crew Stand-By Hut.

dunkeswell02.jpg

T2 Hangars.

dunkeswell80.jpg

dunkeswell81.jpg

The other side of the second hangar.

dunkeswell45.jpg

Squadron Office.

dunkeswell39.jpg

dunkeswell40.jpg

Flight Office.

dunkeswell34.jpg

More coming up in a mo. :)

Last edited:
This is used by South West WW2 Heritage and also has a portable control room outside.

dunkeswell36.jpg

dunkeswell41.jpg

Mech. & Eng. Plinth.

dunkeswell43.jpg

Parachute Store.

dunkeswell50.jpg

Station Armoury.

dunkeswell54.jpg

Crew rest & Locker Room.

dunkeswell66.jpg

dunkeswell63.jpg

Original Windows from a partially demolished block.

dunkeswell59.jpg

M.T. Bays.

dunkeswell55.jpg

M.T. Workshops.

dunkeswell72.jpg

Gas Clothing & Respirator Stores.

dunkeswell69.jpg

Petrol Installation M.T.

dunkeswell74.jpg

Photographic Block.

dunkeswell75.jpg

Tecnical Latrines, Bombing Teacher and Link Trainer Blocks.

dunkeswell77.jpg

dunkeswell78.jpg

Equipment Store.

dunkeswell79.jpg

After the site we went into the museum and spent a fair bit of time in there. Only a small place but absolutely chock full of interesting artifacts and hundreds of photos. Very well worth visiting.

Hope you enjoyed. :)

Last edited:
Nice one Foxy -PROPER JOB!! :)

A lovely variety of buildings. Thanks for the effort in labelling-up what each of these buildings were used for.
The Nissan Huts are in good shape. Is a lot of it due to be demo'd -going by the windows from a building already razed?

Wow! I didnt realise Foxy got so many shots, well done kid! any way heres my two pennies worth :)

Pyro shed

2009_0109dowdswellsouthrop0012.jpg

2009_0109dowdswellsouthrop0013.jpg

couple of odds and sods I found on a tip behind the pyro shed

2009_0109dowdswellsouthrop0014.jpg

2009_0109dowdswellsouthrop0015.jpg

2009_0109dowdswellsouthrop0016.jpg

inside the same shed, full of crap but note the glider canopy

2009_0109dowdswellsouthrop0017.jpg

2009_0109dowdswellsouthrop0018.jpg

2009_0109dowdswellsouthrop0022.jpg

a couple of hangers that as foxy pointed out to me dont appear on the official maps but with hindsight I would guess that they have been moved here from other parts of the airfield

2009_0109dowdswellsouthrop0019.jpg

2009_0109dowdswellsouthrop0021.jpg

2009_0109dowdswellsouthrop0023.jpg

couple of old railway wagon bodys found on part of the technical site

2009_0109dowdswellsouthrop0034.jpg

2009_0109dowdswellsouthrop0035.jpg

Big, big apologies for the lack of history. I was ready to post and was just typing the history when my computer decided it didn't want to play anymore! I just managed to post the thread before it threw a complete wobbly and I had to restart it. :lol:
I'll make some additions and edit mistakes (just noticed a wrong pic) in a bit...need coffee first! Ta. :mrgreen:

Thanks for the effort in labelling-up what each of these buildings were used for.
The Nissan Huts are in good shape. Is a lot of it due to be demo'd -going by the windows from a building already razed?

Cheers, Lb. I must admit that labelling the buildings was a real headache. I used copies of original maps from the RAF Museum and they're not easy to read...tiny, tiny numbers besides buildings that aren't always easy to identify as buildings and pathways have changed, plus new buildings amongst them, etc. That has got to have been the most difficult report I've ever put together! Phew! :lol:
Most of the original buildings are used as workshops as the technical site is now an industrial estate. I'm not sure of what will happen to them...I guess that some are being replaced by new-build workshops as and when. :(

Nice one Foxy -PROPER JOB!! :)

A lovely variety of buildings. Thanks for the effort in labelling-up what each of these buildings were used for.

Pretty much all the huts and sheds on the technical site were occupied by small business's and thats got to be good for the future of the site

Wow! I didnt realise Foxy got so many shots, well done kid!

Cheers ricasso. :) About 96 altogether. Not as many as some of you digital guys but I did scan them all!!! :eek::lol: I tried not to post too many though! :mrgreen:
Thanks for your pics, mate. They're great. Love the bits and pieces you found behind the pyro store. The hangars being moved makes sense too, as I noticed some were missing from elsewhere when I was pouring over the maps. :lol:

Cheers ricasso. :) About 96 altogether. Not as many as some of you digital guys but I did scan them all!!! :eek::lol: I tried not to post too many though! :mrgreen:
Thanks for your pics, mate. They're great. Love the bits and pieces you found behind the pyro store. The hangars being moved makes sense too, as I noticed some were missing from elsewhere when I was pouring over the maps. :lol:

just a moment of inspiration after a couple of bottles of Merrydown!

Cheers Neo. :) Twas a very long day but well worth it! I've never seen so many original buildings on one site before and only posted about half of the ones I had pics for. There were so many buildings that we could see behind the others and couldn't get to plus bomb stores in the distance. A truly fantastic site!

History has now been added at the beginning of the first post.

I've also substituted a wrong pic for the right one (photographic Block) and a couple of other mistakes rectified.
Sorry about the delay. Tis hopefully okay now. :)
Phew! :mrgreen:

i want me one of them portable control rooms :mrgreen:

and i spy a piper J3 cub in the hangar

and yet more Devon potential for when im down there whooop

i want me one of them portable control rooms :mrgreen:

and i spy a piper J3 cub in the hangar

Mr Sam, you'd love it as there were loads of planes all over the place. It's a private airfield plus there's a parachute jumping business and glider club...helicopters and hang glider thingies (those motorised babies...dunno what they're called)...there was hardly a patch of clear sky!!! :mrgreen:

and yet more Devon potential for when im down there whooop

If you want any info, map copies, etc, of Dunkeswell and/or Upottery, just give me a shout! We're planning to do the third airfield in the area in a few weeks time. If you'd like to, you're welcome to join us. Let me know and we can fit around you if poss. :)

Epic post!! Thanks for the pics.
Lovely selection there, something for everyone too!

Cheers Scrub. :)
I was reading earlier that there was a hospital on site too, but I don't know if the building for that still survives. There's so much that we left out of the thread as it is, and even more that we didn't get to see! :lol:
Thanks again. :)

Latest posts

Back