F.A.W.7 US Navy, Dunkeswell Air Base, Devon - March 09

Derelict Places

Help Support Derelict Places:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
As Foxy said, there is so much to see there, I would suggest you would need two very long days to document it all, still, any excuse for one of Foxys cups of tea :mrgreen:

That looks pretty impressive! I bet it was a real hive of activity during the war.

Haha, I wonder how often servicemen would stroll around idly whistling "Hitler Has Only Got One..." well, you know the rest ;)

That looks pretty impressive! I bet it was a real hive of activity during the war.

Haha, I wonder how often servicemen would stroll around idly whistling "Hitler Has Only Got One..." well, you know the rest ;)

:lol::lol:

We were talking about that when over at the control tower...how quiet it is now compared to what it must have been like! But, whilst on the technical site, we were near to the live airfield and could hear the sound of aircraft all the time. It really added to the atmosphere. :)

Good job people - a really interesting site with good pictures. Talking about airfields that were hives of activity during WW2, I must go home and get my pictures of RAF Kenley up!!!

Mr Sam, you'd love it as there were loads of planes all over the place. It's a private airfield plus there's a parachute jumping business and glider club...helicopters and hang glider thingies (those motorised babies...dunno what they're called)...there was hardly a patch of clear sky!!! :mrgreen:

If you want any info, map copies, etc, of Dunkeswell and/or Upottery, just give me a shout! We're planning to do the third airfield in the area in a few weeks time. If you'd like to, you're welcome to join us. Let me know and we can fit around you if poss. :)

yes you right there is a parachute club at Dunkswell with a active airfield If memory serves right think they did some helicopter jumps last year but they are the only place in the UK to use a King air very fast plane to altitude never visited but like the pictures :)

... I must go home and get my pictures of RAF Kenley up!!!

Look forward to seeing those. :)

yes you right there is a parachute club at Dunkswell with a active airfield...

That's why we had to report to the Flight Centre, as part of the perimeter track to the WW2 Control Tower is partially across one of the runways. :eek: :mrgreen:

Cheers, guys. Your comments appreciated. :)

Great place & pics, looks great old base to visit. I'm wondering if the Liberator crash site on the moor, was one of the aircraft based here.

...I'm wondering if the Liberator crash site on the moor, was one of the aircraft based here.

I just had a quick look in a book I've got 'Devon Aerodromes in Old Photographs', but couldn't find any reference to it. There are some pics of crashes and forced landings in the book, though. Including two spectacular forced landings on beaches...one at Woolacombe and the other at Torquay! :lol:
I also came across a pic of one of the Dunkeswell hangars in use during the war, which I might scan and post in a bit.
Cheers for your comments, Badoosh. :)

Please try & post the pic of the hangars in use Foxy, i'd like to see that :) . Just had a brief look into some archives & there were 2 Liberators from Dunkeswell crashed on the moor, one of which was recovered, so the propeller memorial could be from that. Interesting stuff!

...there were 2 Liberators from Dunkeswell crashed on the moor, one of which was recovered, so the propeller memorial could be from that...

Wow, it really makes you think, doesn't it! Just being there and reading the plaque on the memorial puts the shivers up your back...even more so now it could have come from a crashed plane. Thanks for the info, Badoosh. :)

I've scanned a few from the book. Enjoy! :)
I like the nose inscription on the last airplane! ;):mrgreen:

Dunkebookpic01.jpg

Dunkebookpic02.jpg

Dunkebookpic03.jpg

Dunkebookpic04.jpg

Dunkebookpic05.jpg

Dunkebookpic06.jpg

Wow, thanks jonney. :)
I can't take all the credit though! WW2 maps from the RAF Museum provided the info on the whereabouts of the buildings and what they were designated for, and the history was gleaned from the Dunkeswell Museum's website and other sources. Ricasso pointed out and explained to us the usage of the Bomb Teacher and various people who worked on site told us about the Parachute Store and other useful info.
It is amazing what you pick up when you're interested in something, though! I knew nothing about WW2 defences two years ago, and now it's quite an obsession...still much to learn though! :mrgreen:
Cheers. :)

I know what you mean I think education is wasted on the young. I wasn't interested in history at school (kings and queens, dates etc.) and didn't want to know. But now i've got older (no I'm not anchient as the wife would have people think) I've found a passion for the past, especially the wars and what was left behind.

Ooh, and I forgot to say that this was very much a group effort. If it wasn't for ricasso and herts digger I would never have been able to visit this and Upottery airfields...thanks for the driving herts, and the delicious eggs from your hens. :mrgreen: A fantastic day with great company and much hilarity. :)

No problem mate, not long now till part three, :)

oh,BTW, thanks for posting the period pics,it really helps to bring the base to " life" as it were

Last edited:
...oh,BTW, thanks for posting the period pics,it really helps to bring the base to " life" as it were

That's okay. :) I would have put them at the start but everything went pear-shaped before posting, then I forgot them when I added the history. :lol: I'll make sure I research the history first before we visit the third one...less of a panic then. :mrgreen:

I know what you mean, btw. Seeing the pics set in the places we'd visited was a real thrill.

Latest posts

Back