Banned by my college!

Derelict Places

Help Support Derelict Places:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm sure you can despute against this.. was your work discussed with the head of department?..

Edit:

I'm in film production HE course, at my uni and i've used "derelict" locations, i've had no warnings at all..

I'm going to do my best but I doubt it will change much. All that they have said to me is what they read out and it didn't really explain much. I'll be in again on friday so i'll see what i can do then.

Cheers.

no worries, im sure you fill out risk assessments when yo go out on shoots right for "your" locations?.. (just cuirous to know)

Could it be possible it's actually your tutors way of trying to be diplomatic with you.
Advising you it might be best to consider your coursework subject/material, as in his opinion it might not get you the results you need? Blame the H&S thing, rather than be more to the point and possibly hurt your feelings.
I only say this because the whole thing sounds rather unusual and doesn't quite add up really.

Just my tuppence worth.

It's the piece of paper at the end of the course that matters, not what happened on the way. I have two degrees and have never had to use the great majority of what was included. However, without the degrees, I would not have had my career.

My suggestion is to focus on getting the qualification as simply as possible and then move on. It's really not worth the bother of fighting about, as their easiest option may be to throw you out.

Just my tuppence worth.

It's the piece of paper at the end of the course that matters, not what happened on the way. I have two degrees and have never had to use the great majority of what was included. However, without the degrees, I would not have had my career.

My suggestion is to focus on getting the qualification as simply as possible and then move on. It's really not worth the bother of fighting about, as their easiest option may be to throw you out.

That is what I should do really. Im usually a very reasonabe person but when I was told to re-think my subject matter all reason went out the window. I will see what I can do about it but if nothing comes out of it I will just haft to have a very boring second year lol.

The one thing my tutors are always telling me is to make work that we want to make and that we enjoy making.

Thanks.

Could it be possible it's actually your tutors way of trying to be diplomatic with you.
Advising you it might be best to consider your coursework subject/material, as in his opinion it might not get you the results you need? Blame the H&S thing, rather than be more to the point and possibly hurt your feelings.
I only say this because the whole thing sounds rather unusual and doesn't quite add up really.

This is what I don't understand, they tell me that my photographs have potential and are very strong images. They have told me that for the 3 years that I have been at the college. I just don't know why its suddenly changed. Plus they could of told me before I spent the money on the second year.

You have been at college for 3 years? That's quite a long course for photography!

Anyway, is your sole photography theme urban exploration? If it is, then that sounds very boring, like you are stuck in a loop and scared to express your creative thinking in other ways.

Have you thought that maybe it is worth not doing UE related photography for college and carry on your hobby out of education hours?

It isn't that much to worry about really is it.

You have been at college for 3 years? That's quite a long course for photography!

Anyway, is your sole photography theme urban exploration? If it is, then that sounds very boring, like you are stuck in a loop and scared to express your creative thinking in other ways.

Have you thought that maybe it is worth not doing UE related photography for college and carry on your hobby out of education hours?

This is what I was thinking, a single subject as a budding photographer makes you a one trick pony and practically unemployable. Expand your portfolio, do different things. You need to demonstrate you can transfer your personal style to a variety of subjects.

Ok, It's not a photography course well not just photography and the first 2 years was just finding your path. That was the National Diploma. I passed that and now i'm doing my Foundation Degree in Fine art. My work is about dereliction and photography plays the main part. I do not find it boring as it's never the same.

I was scared to express my creative thinking on the natioanl diploma and then I found urbex which fits me very well.
I have tried other photography and its not interested me like urbex has so thats my reason for loving it so much.

This is what I was thinking, a single subject as a budding photographer makes you a one trick pony and practically unemployable. Expand your portfolio, do different things. You need to demonstrate you can transfer your personal style to a variety of subjects.

Yes, I am aware that at some point my work will need to change to stay good but to do that now I think is abit pointless as it will probably be too much of a change for me. I was plannng on making the changes on my top up year at uni.

Thanks though, U do speak the truth.

Yes, I am aware that at some point my work will need to change to stay good but to do that now I think is abit pointless as it will probably be too much of a change for me. I was plannng on making the changes on my top up year at uni.

Thanks though, U do speak the truth.

Fair play, sounds like you have a well thought through game plan already.

In life you come across all sorts of people, nice folk, and not so nice folk, all communicate in different ways, some use subtle hints, and words of wisdom, others can be straight to the point verging on rudeness :mad:

My guess is the tutor/college is trying to steer you in a new direction, rather than laying the law down big time about banning urbex. Really you have two choices, take the advice and develop a new subject, or stay as you are and get the boot anyway.

Just because you think a subject isn't boring or not good enough, doesn't mean everyone holds the same view, your not marking your work, and your not paying a salary for it, and really that's what it's all about at the end of the day. We'd all love to do the things we love in life for a living, the truth of the matter is very few do.

Dwelling on it is only going to keep you irritated inside, let it go and spend your energy on looking at new ideas and creations :)

In life you come across all sorts of people, nice folk, and not so nice folk, all communicate in different ways, some use subtle hints, and words of wisdom, others can be straight to the point verging on rudeness :mad:

My guess is the tutor/college is trying to steer you in a new direction, rather than laying the law down big time about banning urbex. Really you have two choices, take the advice and develop a new subject, or stay as you are and get the boot anyway.

Just because you think a subject isn't boring or not good enough, doesn't mean everyone holds the same view, your not marking your work, and your not paying a salary for it, and really that's what it's all about at the end of the day. We'd all love to do the things we love in life for a living, the truth of the matter is very few do.

Dwelling on it is only going to keep you irritated inside, let it go and spend your energy on looking at new ideas and creations :)

I understand what your saying and to be honest there is alot that can be done on the subject and thats what I wanted to explore in the second year. My work will still be dereliction based but not all the same. A new direction is a good thing to do but not right now. My teachers think i can make it as a photographer and they have said that purely from me showing them my shots pretty much every day and they are all urbex shots. How can they go from loving my photographs to telling me to stop taking them anymore in the space of 3 weeks. I'm confused right now.

I will try and sort this and if I have to change what I do to stay then so be it. I'm not wasting all the money that this course has cost.

Cheers for the advice.

I understand what your saying and to be honest there is alot that can be done on the subject and thats what I wanted to explore in the second year. My work will still be dereliction based but not all the same. A new direction is a good thing to do but not right now. My teachers think i can make it as a photographer and they have said that purely from me showing them my shots pretty much every day and they are all urbex shots. How can they go from loving my photographs to telling me to stop taking them anymore in the space of 3 weeks. I'm confused right now.

I will try and sort this and if I have to change what I do to stay then so be it. I'm not wasting all the money that this course has cost.

Cheers for the advice.

There is a big difference between loving them, and them being able to condone your actions whilst taking them. They probably had a meeting at some point recently about health and safety and tightened up their policies. It doesn't mean they stop liking your photos, it means they can no longer let you put yourself in danger to take them.

Stop bloody moaning and do what your tutor has stated, so that you can finish your education in a rounded manner. You enrolled in a 'Fine Arts' course for God's sake and a portfolio of dereliction ain't going to get you a pass mark. If the World suddenly turns into an atomic waste land, then no doubt you will be in your element and be able to earn a good living photographing dereliction to your hearts content. Until that time take the good advice offered - learn to produce good and acceptable work in other photographic genres, so that you can put your qualifications to meaningful use.

Photography played a major role in my professional life and the subject was learnt the hard way - doing things outside one's comfort zone, with no room for mistakes. I have also lectured many times on certain aspects of this work (high speed photography and photographic mapping of accident scenes), thus I have met many students in my working life. Many were obviously self motivated and diligent, producing work that was both outstanding and original, but others obviously had the 'i'm here and I'll do what I damn well like with my time' attitude.

This thread actually contains enough information to enable the actual problem to be worked out. Firstly from the naming of the parent university, it is possible to find out the syllabus of the actual course the author is enrolled in - and yes a wider scope of work is expected. However, the most telling information/comment is the statement that 'the college does not know where student is from day to day' - this is the problem in a few stark words. Clearly the college has a responsibility for it's students welfare - they run the courses that the students enroll in; however, to brandish the old H & S carrot is just plain short sighted.

I feel much sympathy with all students who enroll in these particular types of course. Five years ago my son decided he would like to work in the same area of photography I did, thus he duly enrolled at Leeds Met and moved back home. So what did he actually receive for saddling himself with a student loan, certainly not value for money, only a pile of duplicated notes on required projects and the requirement to attend the campus for six hours lectures/tutorials a week! Of the actual teaching content of the course, he had already learnt most of it from me and my work contacts - the rest of the course content was just 'make weight'. He did the first two years and got a professional qualification and did not do the final year. In actual fact the course content could have been taught over an eighteen month period, if the staff had actually lectured - hence my sympathy with present day students enrolling on these 'iffy' and ever more expensive courses

So; if the author's course is structured like the above, the college must carry the blame if students get the impression that they can just roam free and continue their favourite hobby on a daily basis, albeit in the guise of a college course. Still the lack of a properly structured lecture program is no excuse for a student not to follow the course syllabus, and the author should just get his head down and work outside of the comfort zone for a while.

no worries, im sure you fill out risk assessments when yo go out on shoots right for "your" locations?.. (just cuirous to know)
Are you taking the piss! do you fill one out when you go out?
st33ly I don't think you should be giving up you course at this stage, carry on with it and submit some other subject the appove of but ask them what you should be submitting , put them on the spot. Carry on Urbexing and build up a seperate pothfolio on the subject.

I would just like to say thankyou to everyone thats commented on this topic. I've taken in what all of you have said and if ive annoyed alot of you then i'm sorry.

I will see what they say tomorrow when I go in and see what happens.

Thanks again.

When I was 18 i studied for a City & Guilds in Graphic Design, in the second year i got banned from using the colour black and outlining images.....

Looking back i now know why all my artwork etc had neat out lines in black, it was because i have an OCD :)

Best thing to do is still carry on as normal but photograph other subjects whilst out urbexing. as some else said.... flowers, sky, items that wont look urbexy....

my brother is a pro photographer and he photographs women without thier clothes..... I like his work :mrgreen: lol

I would just like to say thankyou to everyone thats commented on this topic. I've taken in what all of you have said and if ive annoyed alot of you then i'm sorry.

I will see what they say tomorrow when I go in and see what happens.

Thanks again.

I don't think you've annoyed anyone, or you shouldn't have done anyway. You've had a set back totally unexpected and your reaction is understandable. Human beings are crap at taking set backs, criticism or rejection, anyone who says their not is a lier, it's how you deal with it that counts. Perhaps internalizing it, instead of having a rant on a forum would have been better, but we all deal with set backs in different ways.

So yes your work that has until now received only positive feedback is suddenly not good enough, it's bound to confuse you.
Life's a game, and sometimes you have to play the game how others want it until you find your own feet and get where you want. This college course is only a short step up to bigger things, get the results you need in anyway and your laughing.

Good luck :)

Latest posts

Back