Bull Manor Owner on Radio

Derelict Places

Help Support Derelict Places:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Personally these hoarders houses do nothing for me
creeping around someones house going through someones old belongings isnt my idea of exploring really
but this hobby attracts all kinds
people wanting to do model shoots
people wanting to shoot music videos
and people scanning these kind of forums for places to rob of the old belongings...
or steal the metal..

^^^^^ This

My personal view is that if a site is sensitive and people are worried about it being emptied it shouldn't be in public view

^^^ But a handful of photos posted online don't usually give away the location of the place.

It's when history is posted, the area it's in is posted & the place is refered to by it's real name that gives away locations....

^^^ But a handful of photos posted online don't usually give away the location of the place.

Unless you forget to blur out sensitive details like paperwork and envelopes..

Plenty of sites have been identified from a few photos posted online.

Plenty of sites have been identified from a few photos posted online.

See, I don't fully believe that as such. Yes, granted if as Mookster said sensitive info isn't obscured in images of paperwork & the like it's possible to search those few details but if I posted 3 images of for example a school showing a stairwell, classroom & a corridor how would you find the place...??

it starts when you find somewhere, tell someone you trust who in turn tells someone they trust
pretty soon someone who you thought was trustworthy puts it on a forum
not naming sites is one way to combat it but everyone isnt in agreement on this 28dl for one
named this site and thus let the floodgates open
Bull manor had already been floating about on FB for a good few weeks before it even made it to non public on 28dl

You can believe what you like, I know it for a fact.

Simple things like using exif data in photos has been used to find out that someone was at a named site half an hour before an un-named site, that gives you a local area to narrow down your search, etc. There's a whole bunch of information you can give away unintentionally, particularly on flickr. So there's a top tip, wipe the exif data on your photos...

It's not always true of course, but it's not necessarily as simple as you might think either. So the truth remains that if you want to be absolutely sure about the security of a site then don't share it. Simple as.

Even the European way isn't foolproof, as a fun challenge I've found a fair few 'hidden' places with a bit of research, and I know sweet FA about the Euro scene or anyone in it.

See, I don't fully believe that as such. Yes, granted if as Mookster said sensitive info isn't obscured in images of paperwork & the like it's possible to search those few details but if I posted 3 images of for example a school showing a stairwell, classroom & a corridor how would you find the place...??

Devils in the details... granted some pics give nothing away other than time and date if you leave the exif data there but others seemingly give nothing away but when paired with others of the site allow you to pin point it...I know of one very choice site that a friend found from two pics and one was the gate :)

Don't post up externals and watch the structural features as well. Internal shots with distinct windows are a good way to give the game away.

I don't share exif. I've also changed dates in camera too before a second location so they aren't linked in that way you mentioned Krela. But, saying that, we did recently find that Chateau Pol place that popped up.

Again, if there are already photos of the place & reports up online then yes that does make things easier as you can cross reference the images to existing reports etc

not naming sites is one way to combat it but everyone isnt in agreement on this 28dl for one
named this site and thus let the floodgates open
Bull manor had already been floating about on FB for a good few weeks before it even made it to non public on 28dl

The place was a tourist hotspot before it was named on 28DL

I think pretty much everyone knew where it was and it was named all over flickr and facebook

If I can find drains from a few pictures, no history and a general area than a manor house really isn't going to be that difficult

I wasn't saying that it's impossible to hide a location, I was saying it can be possible to identify a location from a few photos unless you take great care, and most people don't. :)

Plenty of people reading this wont even know what exif data is!

One point thats been missed is that it was some burd from abroad that came over and had these books away and NOT a member of 28? Shock horror, theres other people exploring buildings too that arent members of forums yet when stuff does get pinched most of the shit travels towards 28 members.

One point thats been missed is that it was some burd from abroad that came over and had these books away and NOT a member of 28? Shock horror, theres other people exploring buildings too that arent members of forums yet when stuff does get pinched most of the shit travels towards 28 members.

Unfortunately the reputation of some of the members means that people make assumtions that may or may not be true.

Anything can be found, I was once given a challenge to find 3 planes in a field, somewhere in Germany from 1 picture with no identifying marks on the planes, took me half an hour. The hobbits house took even less.

Unfortunately the reputation of some of the members means that people make assumtions that may or may not be true.

"May or may not be true"
Its on her fuckin blog FFS! how much more evidence do you need to say she aint on 28?

Anything can be found, I was once given a challenge to find 3 planes in a field, somewhere in Germany from 1 picture with no identifying marks on the planes, took me half an hour. The hobbits house took even less.

Yeah but the Hobbits House is really easy..

hobbs.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back