Bull Manor Owner on Radio

Derelict Places

Help Support Derelict Places:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Yeah but the Hobbits House is really easy..

hobbs.jpg

lol ... are you snowed in and bored? ;)

Realise now I meant factory not house (cue the pics of people making Hobbits on a production line :p)

Tis just a strange quirk of coincidence that there is also an urbex tourist location called the Hobbit House lol. :)

One point thats been missed is that it was some burd from abroad that came over and had these books away and NOT a member of 28? Shock horror, theres other people exploring buildings too that arent members of forums yet when stuff does get pinched most of the shit travels towards 28 members.

I have stayed neutral about all of this Squirrell because of exactly the point you make. If I were to be judgemental at all it would be towards the person or persons actually responsible of theft regardless of whether they belonged to any forum or which one.

It says something about this particular forum though that you can post here almost with impunity and without your comments being moderated beforehand. I like this element of how DP is run. I feel freedom of speech is less censored here. I keep up with events over on 28 and on the whole it's a good forum. In fact I joined 28 before DP, however I'm sorry to say that I've often been treated with disdain there. As a consequence, I rarely post there now. It's worth remembering that it's because of the way your forum is perceived that you often receive undue criticism. If you can't find a way to reverse this perception then you'll probably just have to live with it I'm afraid. Maybe as a Mod you can work on this. I do hope so.

The sad thing for me and many others I suspect is that it would be nice to feel that I were as free to post an opinion on 28 in a similar discussion as you are here. Rightly or wrongly I'm wary of doing so. It's also a sad reflection that several other well known members of 28 who seldom post here have also posted defensively on other threads, which only seems to occur when a contentious issue or differences between the forums are raised. It's getting a little tedious. It would be better received if those of you who did this participated in a more positive, frequent and even-handed way rather than simply selectively using it to defend your own forum.

I personally don't like anyone slagging off any other exploration forum that isn't their 'preferred' one. It's petty and childish.

Ultimately everyone has their own way of doing things and adults can rise above mickey-taking. For the record I believe all the forums are valid and that some are definitely painted blacker than they deserve by a few small-minded commentators. This should stop, as should the general in-fighting. Sadly the theiving will go on unchecked. I don't believe it's within our power to fully stop it. We are where we are and we can't easily go backwards.

We all explore in our own fashion and it would be far better if we didn't bicker amongst ourselves. We are simply handing more ammunition to those who would see our activities curtailed.

These are not directed criticisms, merely observations which you may take as you will. I wish you well.

Last edited:
Very well put Munchh, a very even handed and clear headed contribution, I do hope that people take note and stop the bickering. Unfortunately I feel that as your logical comments are based on 50 years of life's experience, the younger hotheads out there will still think they have an axe to grind.

Sadly the self 'censorship' of photographic content has somewhat cancelled out the main reason why I joined this forum. I started out by mooching around WWI/II sites on the East Coast in the mid 50's - long before the habit was given fancy names. We were just lads on holiday, and as a 12 year old with a first camera photographs were taken and kept for some reason. ( September 1955, the Humber defence works at Humberston). I am now long past active exploration even if I wanted to participate, but photographs of buildings and sites have always been of interest to me. Sadly, seemingly endless images of shelves containing the detritus of a hoarders life are no substitute for some quality interior and exterior images as far as I am concerned.

Sadly the price we pay for progress seems to be the steady erosion of things many of us have taken for granted over the years.

It says something about this particular forum though that you can post here almost with impunity and without your comments being moderated beforehand. I like this element of how DP is run. I feel freedom of speech is less censored here. I keep up with events over on 28 and on the whole it's a good forum. In fact I joined 28 before DP, however I'm sorry to say that I've often been treated with disdain there. As a consequence, I rarely post there now. It's worth remembering that it's because of the way your forum is perceived that you often receive undue criticism. If you can't find a way to reverse this perception then you'll probably just have to live with it I'm afraid. Maybe as a Mod you can work on this. I do hope so.

You can post on 28DL with impunity, and everyone apart from total newbies is unmoderated. The one thing, the only thing we don't tolerate is people making personal attacks. I'm sure if someone posted messages on here impugning Krela, for example, exactly the same action would be taken.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back