Cane Hill WHOPPPPA, VERY picture heavy

Derelict Places

Help Support Derelict Places:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Re: Cane Hill WHOPPPPA report. VERY picture heavy

Excellent stuff.

Seen as a collection, the photographs show interesting emerging trends. For example, how the urban exploration changes from just exploring the wards and corridors to climbing lift shafts and roof voids; and how your photography improves over time (both in terms of the resolution of the image, and its composition).

You should consider getting them all on a website somewhere; all labeled and dated. Then they'd form a firm foundation for comparison with other shots.

All the best,
Simon

Great!
That wall mounted light is an ELSA, & collectable I believe. Simon should know better than me.

Close! It's a REVO Magnalite. See: http://www.simoncornwell.com/lighting/manufact/revo/cat/cat1930s-1/mag1.htm

All the exterior lighting equipment around Cane Hill is REVO and was probably installed in the 1950s and 1960s.

I also found an old bracket in the undergrowth of the footpath from the hospital to the A23. This has been restored and fitted with a REVO Prefect:
http://www.simoncornwell.com/lighting/collect/brackets/revo3/index.htm

All the best,
Simon

Last edited:

Not sure if it's right to mention it here, but has anyone found any pre-closure pictures of the inside of Cane Hill. The main hall was supposed to have been something before it was burnt out.

Croydon Library have an extensive collection of photographs of Cane Hill in use. There's also a video of a tour of the hospital, recorded three days before its closure.

All of this material should be surfacing soon.

All the best,
Simon

Croydon Library have an extensive collection of photographs of Cane Hill in use. There's also a video of a tour of the hospital, recorded three days before its closure.

All of this material should be surfacing soon.

All the best,
Simon

Thanks for that, it's a shame I live so far from Croydon though. I'll have to wait until it's online.

Thanks for putting me right about that light, ESLA seemed to be the main users of mirrored reflectors.

Many thanks Simon, thought you'd like this one!

As for a website, i think it would be a good idea. I've got a copy of dreamweaver so i might have to sit down and study!

You are right about how the exploration evolved. The first thing that started that was the octagonal tower, which i remember discussing with you. It had to be explored!

As for the light - i was really pleased to find it, probably the best preserved one in Cane Hill

I just had to come out of lurking and say wow! What a good report. If you want a hand with the website just yell, I love website building and would be happy to help. That goes to anyone who ever needs a hand!

While rummaging for a picture earlier, i found a whole trips worth of Cane Hill photos that i had forgotten about. A winters day near the beginning of 2005.

DSCF2595.jpg

DSCF2598.jpg

DSCF2600.jpg

DSCF2605.jpg

DSCF2606.jpg

DSCF2608.jpg

DSCF2611.jpg

DSCF2613.jpg

DSCF2626.jpg

DSCF2632.jpg

Beginnings of Cane Hill Guestbook

DSCF2633.jpg

Not sure if it's right to mention it here, but has anyone found any pre-closure pictures of the inside of Cane Hill. The main hall was supposed to have been something before it was burnt out.

I have a few copies that I got from the Archive centre :) It was indeed a great Hall. The hospital crest was on the curtains above the stage.

I also have a copy of the Hospitals 70th birthday celebrations in the hall! :mrgreen:

Dude -when you do a monumental report -you sure don't do things by half!! :lol: I must say that this has got to be one of the best and most comprehensive reports I've ever had the pleasure of seeing. Don't think I've seen a report showing such a time range either. Many thanks for sharing your personal collection of pics with all of us. Much appreciated! :)
My personal fave is how you were so determined to find out what that little octagonal tower was all about -what a disappointment -a mere staircase eh?!! :neutral: Could have at least been a secret tunnel leading into an underground network of tunnels connecting every Asylum in the UK or something (perhaps WOTS and Reaps could engineer such a solution?) :mrgreen:
Again, this is another report I shall be taking me time looking through!
Tip top job me ol' bean!!!

Lb:cool:

Dude -when you do a monumental report -you sure don't do things by half!! :lol: I must say that this has got to be one of the best and most comprehensive reports I've ever had the pleasure of seeing. Don't think I've seen a report showing such a time range either. Many thanks for sharing your personal collection of pics with all of us. Much appreciated! :)
My personal fave is how you were so determined to find out what that little octagonal tower was all about -what a disappointment -a mere staircase eh?!! :neutral: Could have at least been a secret tunnel leading into an underground network of tunnels connecting every Asylum in the UK or something (perhaps WOTS and Reaps could engineer such a solution?) :mrgreen:
Again, this is another report I shall be taking me time looking through!
Tip top job me ol' bean!!!

Lb:cool:

Thankyou very much Lightbuoy. I am really glad you enjoyed the report, makes the effort of compiling it much more worth it when you know it's appreciated.

The octagonal tower, wondered what it was for nearly a year! your right, it was a bit of a dissapointment to find out it was just a set of stairs but in another way it still means a lot, a quirky architectural detail - personal touch by Mr. Howell!

Ahh, personally, I can't get enough of those quirky architectural details!! :)

I have a few copies that I got from the Archive centre :) It was indeed a great Hall. The hospital crest was on the curtains above the stage.

I also have a copy of the Hospitals 70th birthday celebrations in the hall! :mrgreen:

Thanks! That's great to hear.

Any chance of uploading any?

Thanks! That's great to hear.

Any chance of uploading any?

Sadly not a chance .... I had to sign for each copy that I took and that was marked with my name and address with a stern warning that if they are found anywhere on the net or distributed in any way I will be liable for prosecution!! :confused: Under what law I don't know ..... But I really don't want to risk it!!

Sadly not a chance .... I had to sign for each copy that I took and that was marked with my name and address with a stern warning that if they are found anywhere on the net or distributed in any way I will be liable for prosecution!! :confused: Under what law I don't know ..... But I really don't want to risk it!!

That's a shame, almost as being too far from Croydon Library to look at their archive of CHH material.

This place looks amazing! I'd like to visit this some time. Excellent photos!:)

This place looks amazing! I'd like to visit this some time. Excellent photos!:)

The place really is amazing! Thanks for your comments.

Good luck if you do decide to go

Thank for taking the trouble of all those exellent pictures, well done!!.

wowser so many pics :) another place id love to make a visit

Back